advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Thrift Store Free Score
Posted by: btfc
Date: April 14, 2022 02:23PM

Kenwood KA-3500 integrated amp with tuner.

I haven’t hooked it up, but fingers crossed...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Thrift Store Free Score
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 14, 2022 02:52PM
Nice!
In one thread on the AudioKarma website, people show pictures of their best thrift store finds. This would fit in perfectly there.
In my area, I can’t find any worthwhile audio equipment in thrift stores.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 14, 2022 03:03PM
Does it go to 11?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 14, 2022 03:05PM
Purty
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 14, 2022 03:10PM
pRICE cUBE
Does it go to 11?

I do see a needle you can peg.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 14, 2022 03:23PM
Oh! That era of sound gear is right in my wheelhouse!

I hope it fires up and works out great for you.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: DP
Date: April 14, 2022 03:38PM
Like, actually free?

Resident Cardinal...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: April 14, 2022 03:44PM
DP
Like, actually free?

Yes!

Just came in with a batch of stuff, not tested.

There were some crappy speakers with it that I don’t need.
Date: April 14, 2022 03:48PM
I’m doing my taxes or I’d be hooking it up now.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 14, 2022 04:34PM
Might want to pop the top and blow out the dust bunnies before hitting the switch.
Date: April 14, 2022 04:39PM
mrbigstuff
Might want to pop the top and blow out the dust bunnies before hitting the switch.

Good advice. And I'd wager you'll want some Deoxit spray for the pots; I picked up a vintage NAD (keep your Beavis and Butt-head reactions to yourself) amp at a Salvation Army store a while back, and the crackling of the volume knob was pretty bad. One treatment cleaned it up though...
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 14, 2022 06:09PM
Just don't let the dust bunnies fornicate with the Easter Bunny, or you will get some nasty chocolate eggs in your baskets.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: April 14, 2022 07:14PM
Will likely need some capacitors changed at the very least...

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: April 14, 2022 07:32PM
“ dust bunnies “ “ Deoxit “ “ capacitors “

Yes, yes, and yes.

Capacitors might be the dealbreaker. I don’t really need it, especially the tuner, but it’s so pretty! smiling smiley
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 15, 2022 12:04AM
btfc

Yes, yes, and yes.

Capacitors might be the dealbreaker. I don’t really need it, especially the tuner, but it’s so pretty! smiling smiley

I read this all the time, I think it's become an internet legend. Just use it (after cleaning) and if it sounds like something is off, well then you can start mucking about.
Date: April 15, 2022 08:39AM
mrbigstuff
btfc

Yes, yes, and yes.

I read this all the time, I think it's become an internet legend. Just use it (after cleaning) and if it sounds like something is off, well then you can start mucking about.

I mean, caps definitely dry out and won't work properly after about 20 years. It's a must to replace them on, say, an arcade monitor. But for an amp, if you like how it sounds, then it's really up to you.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 15, 2022 09:25AM
mrbigstuff
btfc

Yes, yes, and yes.

This. The era of the Bad Caps starts in the late ‘90s or so. Not to say that gear older than that might not suffer from some bad caps, but not for the same reason gear from later years does.

It is what it is.
Date: April 15, 2022 09:33AM
Yeah, only one way to tell, hook it up and see what it sounds like.

I haven’t even plugged it in yet.
Date: April 15, 2022 10:13AM
N-OS X-tasy!
mrbigstuff
btfc

Yes, yes, and yes.

This. The era of the Bad Caps starts in the late ‘90s or so. Not to say that gear older than that might not suffer from some bad caps, but not for the same reason gear from later years does.

I get what you're saying, but I've also seen an awful lot of CRTs from the late 70's and early 80's brought back to life by replacing the caps on their PCB chassis (although, see disclaimer above regarding audio-only gear).
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 15, 2022 10:30AM
Electrolytic cap's in older equipment that has been stored often can be reformed and still be usable. Depends on how good of a sealing material was used during manufacture.

Best method requires isolating each cap and applying the appropriate voltage through a resistor to limit current for a period of time. To avoid the work involved in isolating each cap, some will use a Variac to supply AC at a reduced voltage and slowly ramp it up to full from about half. The amp would need to not be under load. This works with some power supply designs, not all.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: April 15, 2022 08:34PM
A unit that has been sitting around is a bigger concern than one that has been kept in continuous use. If your seriously interested I can link to a number of white papers from capacitor manufacturers that give you the details of why age is a problem for Electrolytic Capacitors.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020