advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I drove 830 miles yesterday
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 21, 2022 09:39AM
and I can't figure out what those 'speed limit' signs mean!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I drove 830 miles yesterday
Posted by: pqrst
Date: April 21, 2022 09:53AM
And isn’t cruise control a miracle. Or did you put a brick on the accelerator? Lol.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 21, 2022 09:54AM
....and I would roll 500 miles
And I would roll 500 more
Just to be the man who rolls a thousand miles
To fall down at your door.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 21, 2022 10:20AM
My record was a bit over 900 miles 40 years ago, Nashville TN to Amarillo TX all on I-40 as I drove cross country to move to California.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 21, 2022 10:27AM
From where to where? (or did you just drive around the block over and over again).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 21, 2022 10:38AM
GGD
My record was a bit over 900 miles 40 years ago, Nashville TN to Amarillo TX all on I-40 as I drove cross country to move to California.

1000 miles from L.A. to Denver in roughly 14 hours. Too old for that @#$%& now.

It is what it is.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: April 21, 2022 10:42AM
Was it for the Kerrygold sale at Food Lion?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 21, 2022 10:53AM
1973, Chicago to San Francisco, in a driveaway Olds with a 455. We were doing 80mph going up the Rockies.
Date: April 21, 2022 10:56AM
Madison, WI to Asheville, NC. Overall better than flying once cost is factored in but I need some recovery time whereas my kids are bouncing off the walls at double volume.

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: April 21, 2022 11:04AM
mattkime
Madison, WI to Asheville, NC. Overall better than flying once cost is factored in but I need some recovery time whereas my kids are bouncing off the walls at double volume.

How old are your kids? When mine were little, we could rack up the miles. But now it's a lot harder. Even when it was just my wife and I, 900 miles were about the max we would do in a day, especially if there was going to be consecutive days of driving.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 21, 2022 11:22AM
Did 800+ miles with a 10 hr workday in the middle of it. I arrived home just past 24hrs after I left, including crossing the US/Canada border twice. Fires around Kelowna prevented me returning the way I came so I had to go over by Vancouver, south toward Seattle then East back to Yakima. I've never slept so soundly.

Yakima WA > Kelowna BC
Kelowna BC > Abbotsford BC
Abbotsford BC > Yakima WA

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 21, 2022 11:35AM
N-OS X-tasy!
GGD

You can get flights for less than what you would spend on gas for that trip today.
Posted by: btfc
Date: April 21, 2022 11:43AM
I used to drive between Jackson, Wy. and the N.H. coast every couple of years. When I was younger, I would hitchhike.

2400 miles, and I would do it in +/- 48 hours.

Jackson to Philly once in 29 hours with a co-driver, 2100 miles. I did most of the driving.

Too old for that @#$%& now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2022 11:46AM by btfc.
Date: April 21, 2022 11:57AM
freeradical
N-OS X-tasy!
GGD

You can get flights for less than what you would spend on gas for that trip today.

Yep, especially with my current ride, which drinks premium.

This was back in 2002 or so.

It is what it is.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: April 21, 2022 11:59AM
brooklyn to miami beach

1300 miles

19hr

i was not quite 18yrs old when i was hired to drive a neighbor's full loaded caddy coupe de ville one way to miami beach.

when i arrived in fla, the guy was pissed off because i got there too fast.

no tip.

and he was going to tell my parents how fast i drove.

(my father could care less.)

young and stupid.

that was me then.

thumbs up.

rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2022 11:59AM by robfilms.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 21, 2022 12:16PM
I've done that...
Not doing it again if I can help it!

Anything over 8 hours in the car is too much. Maybe 9 with good stretch breaks and decent meals.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: April 21, 2022 12:17PM
In 2012 my wife and I went 1053 miles in 21 hours on our Honda Goldwing motorcycle . From Hamburg, New York to Eureka Springs, Arkansas. I was the pilot, she was the navigator.
Date: April 21, 2022 12:36PM
M A V I C
mattkime

How old are your kids? When mine were little, we could rack up the miles. But now it's a lot harder. Even when it was just my wife and I, 900 miles were about the max we would do in a day, especially if there was going to be consecutive days of driving.

3 and 6.

I think we were near our max, although it depends a lot on the roads. I could drive in a straight line with little traffic nearly forever. I find the mountains and narrow roadways here to be a bit more stressful but there are some pretty good stretches of easy driving along the full route.

I managed to make my first pull last the length of the gas tank capacity, 450 miles or so. My wife made it about 75% of that and I finished the rest. My biggest victory was getting some rest while in th passenger seat

Date: April 21, 2022 12:40PM
mattkime
M A V I C
mattkime

3 and 6.

I think we were near our max, although it depends a lot on the roads. I could drive in a straight line with little traffic nearly forever. I find the mountains and narrow roadways here to be a bit more stressful but there are some pretty good stretches of easy driving along the full route.

I managed to make my first pull last the length of the gas tank capacity, 450 miles or so. My wife made it about 75% of that and I finished the rest. My biggest victory was getting some rest while in th passenger seat

It also didn't help us that my littlest would get car sick. We think it was because she kept looking straight out the side instead of forward.

I'm getting ready to sell my car. It has a max range of about 660 miles and we did get over 630 one time. New car has maybe a 400 mile range. Smaller tank, more weight, less fuel efficient and less power.

Posted by: August West
Date: April 21, 2022 12:54PM
Vegas->LA->NYC in a full Ryder 18 foot Box Truck, 2 drivers, 4 hours drive, 4 hours sleep, straight thru. Can't remember the exact hours but IIRC we just cracked 34. Like others, I was a much younger and more foolish man. I'm puttin' that up against Speedy, whatta you got brother? jest smiley

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: zachdog
Date: April 21, 2022 01:18PM
I drove 495 miles for work yesterday. I’m a consultant and prefer to sleep in my own bed, so I pull a long shift about once a month on a haul like this.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 21, 2022 01:19PM
Yikes, anything over 800 is a serious commitment.

My wife and I did the ~900 miles from home to Disney over spring break with the kids for a couple years in a row. I would start driving at night while they mostly slept, and then we would switch somewhere in Georgia after the sunrise. Then back again a week later! Luckily our car did in fact get 40mpg.
Posted by: raz
Date: April 21, 2022 02:07PM
600 or so from Boston to Pittsburgh a few weeks back when Jet Blue cancelled our flight. The rental car was not much more than the airfare (and Expedia gave me a $200 coupon to make up for what was not remotely their screw up).

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 21, 2022 02:08PM
......I drove all night......to get to you......is that alright.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 21, 2022 04:52PM
Man, my butt hurts just reading this thread.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Randalls
Date: April 21, 2022 05:20PM
Used to Drive from Indy to Dauphin Island Al. Leave at midnight and arrive 12 hours later straight down US 65. @ 800 miles. My brother could drive over 1k but that was out west leaving Abq across Texas or Kansas back to the Midwest. We are both too old for that now I think.
Date: April 21, 2022 05:56PM
rgG

You need better car seats! I've done 800+ mile days without any discomfort. I had a Subaru where I really couldn't last more than a couple hours in the passenger seat. Same with Hondas and Toyotas.

Posted by: testcase
Date: April 21, 2022 06:26PM
It's been just over a decade now. Back then I had two trips of 16 to 18 hours of daily driving (I had RV events to get to). Then I did a 2400 mile trek over 72 hours. After each trip, it took me three days to recover. I DON'T do marathon driving anymore. nono smiley
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 21, 2022 08:33PM
were astronaut diapers and an air pistol involved?

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 21, 2022 08:35PM
pqrst
And isn’t cruise control a miracle. Or did you put a brick on the accelerator? Lol.

and yet, so few people use cruise based on how erratic their speed is.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 21, 2022 11:26PM
August West
Vegas->LA->NYC in a full Ryder 18 foot Box Truck, 2 drivers, 4 hours drive, 4 hours sleep, straight thru. Can't remember the exact hours but IIRC we just cracked 34. Like others, I was a much younger and more foolish man. I'm puttin' that up against Speedy, whatta you got brother? jest smiley

1407 miles plus 34 miles back and forth to the terminal and 110 miles to and from work. There were weeks when I did that run three times, no sleep except between runs, about 22 hours plus the time to and from work. My log book says 42 times one year. I would depart New Brighton, Minn. in the afternoon and arrive early in the morning in Sundance, Wyo. and off load, then deadhead back to New Brighton in time to beat the afternoon rush hour. Rinse and repeat. Not too hard in the 477 HP truck I drove with the 75 MPH governor and speed limit in South Dakota and Wyoming. I did it for a number of years. I only got caught once and the trooper said as long as I had started my log for the day she was fine with it. I was two hours too soon to be where she stopped me and that could have cost me thousands plus 34 hours downtime.

But the most straight with unloading was, IIRC, 42 hours from home to Bismarck, ND to Sheridan, WY to New Brighton, Minn; although I once drove 6400 miles in seven days back when the speed limit was 55. That included seven loads and about eight hours of sleep. I was younger then.

My last log book was a three ring binder but now they are e-logs and much, much harder to beat.

Two weeks ago I drove from Hidalgo, Tex (on the frontier with Mexico) home to Minnesota. Google says that was 1564 miles with only stops for fast food, fuel and necessities - albeit in a speedy car rather than in a speed governed 18 wheeler. We left at 2am and arrived home at 10pm.

I’ve been pulled over for exceeding the speed limit a number of times but my last citation was in 1996. Because I have a CDL, by regulation, even in my four wheeler, they cannot write a warning. If they generate any paperwork it has to be a citation. The result of that regulation is that I get verbal warnings. I never speed locally.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2022 11:39PM by Speedy.
Date: April 22, 2022 01:00AM
NewtonMP2100
......I drove all night......to get to you......is that alright.....???

Love Cyndi Lauper's version of that song. Great video, too.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2022 01:00AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: April 22, 2022 01:05AM
August West

My brother and I made a similar trip some years ago to move our mom from San Diego to Atlanta after she retired. She flew ahead and the two of us drove her stuff out. Same size truck, plus we were towing her Civic behind us.

Between the dead weight of the Civic, the rev limiter on the truck, and the fact that my brother absolutely MUST obey the speed limit at all times lest he risk losing his CDL...

...it was an interminably long drive.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 22, 2022 06:50PM
Two friends and I rode bike (motorbikes) to MT.

600mi days with one 800mi+ days.

No non-stop days, though.

I've done that twice, they did it three times.

We stuck to two-lane blacktops as much as possible, as well as speed limits, pretty much.

MT is no longer viable, but I'd like to this again a couple more times before I put the sidestand down for the last time.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: chopper
Date: April 22, 2022 07:12PM
90 is the new 60. I like it.
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 22, 2022 07:17PM
You couldn't pay me enough to make those trips. And I like to drive. Last trip of any length that I drove was from MA to Quebec City about five years ago. I think it was nine hours and I spent most of the week thinking about having to make the drive home.
Date: April 22, 2022 09:20PM
rgG

I had a little bit of that - I don’t expect to be comfortable sitting for 12 hours. Overall it’s not too bad

Date: April 22, 2022 10:57PM
chopper
90 is the new 60. I like it.

Age or speed?

It is what it is.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: April 23, 2022 05:41PM
That's a lot of miles!! Back when I was 21, I did Tampa, FL, to Springfield, OH - right around 1,000 miles, in 17 hours. I stopped for gas and to pee every four hours. I don't think I could ever do that again! Had a 1986 Chrysler Laser XT filled to the gills from living at MacDill AFB for six months.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020