advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Always wondered what happened to Quiznos, from 5,000 stores to 0
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 22, 2022 03:46PM
Saw a story that the last Quiznos in Boise, Idaho shut down. Always liked their sandwiches over the competition. Didn't realize the franchise collapsed.

[www.restaurantbusinessonline.com]

It’s easy to forget just how successful Quiznos was back in its heyday. The chain was a rapidly growing threat to Subway in the early 2000s, with innovative national ads and an early focus on internet-focused marketing (anyone remember Spongemonkeys?). Its toasted subs were a contrast to the cold sandwiches that its larger rival served.

To put the chain’s 4,700-unit size in 2007 into perspective, Arby’s and Firehouse Subs today operate a combined 4,300 locations. (Which just goes to show you that unit count doesn’t matter when it comes to chain size.)

But those 4,700 locations were built on a weak foundation of low unit volumes and low profits.

In 2007, I toured Quiznos headquarters with Greg Brenneman, the CEO at the time, while I was working with another publication, Franchise Times. The tour was designed to tout the chain’s improvement.

During that tour, we were in an elevator in which two employees were talking about a meeting the night before. “Boy were those franchisees mad,” one said.

Why were they mad? Because they weren’t making money. Quiznos at the time relied on food and paper sold to its franchisees to make much of its profits. The company owned a subsidiary called American Food Distributors that bought food from vendors and distributed the food to operators.

That subsidiary took in $500 million in revenue in 2006.

Those 4,700 locations averaged just $400,000 in revenue a year. The high food costs made it tough for them to make a profit.

In 2007, operators were suing the chain and forming rogue franchisee associations. One famously took his own life.

And then, Subway began selling footlong subs for $5.

Quiznos made the mistake of trying to compete by discounting.

Maybe the most famous came in 2009, when the company sent out a coupon for a free sandwich, and franchisees, angry at the discounts and low profits, revolted and refused to accept the coupons. Customers got angry, and Quiznos' problems got worse.

The recession hit a lot of companies. Bankruptcies were common. Quiznos was filled with small franchisees who made little in the way of profit. And they began closing stores in droves.

Seven hundred locations closed in 2009. Another 800 closed in 2010. Quiznos equipment could be had on Craigslist for pennies on the dollar.

Quiznos could have helped those operators out, but it had that debt it needed to pay off. The funding from the sales of that food was too important. So the chain kept closing units.

As recently as 2015, there were four Quiznos franchises in the Boise area. Boiseans might remember one closing that year at 1216 N. Orchard St., leaving two in the city, at 8665 W. Franklin Road and 2250 E. Gowen Road, as well as an Eagle store at 664 S. Rivershore Lane. Before that, there was a Quiznos on Overland Road in Boise, in Meridian, even in Kuna.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2022 03:47PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Always wondered what happened to Quiznos, from 5,000 stores to 0
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 22, 2022 03:55PM
There's a great YouTube channel that documents business things like this, Company Man.

Here's his take on Quizno's: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Acer
Date: April 22, 2022 03:58PM
We really like the moon.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 22, 2022 04:24PM
Too bad... I liked Quiznos better than Subway.
And, as of yesterday, the same foot long sub that was $5 then, is $10.29 now.

Their ad campaigns were... unusual, to say the least.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 22, 2022 04:25PM
The former CEO has an 'interesting history'.
Greg Brenneman

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: April 22, 2022 04:26PM
I preferred Quiznos, too. When you wanted a toasted sandwich, you GOT a toasted sandwich, not one that was barely warm. And I hate having to pick my bread and each topping. Just make me a doggone sandwich!
Miss them. sad smiley

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 22, 2022 04:30PM
Paul F.
And, as of yesterday, the same foot long sub that was $5 then, is $10.29 now.

For us, that was a daily special, not an everyday thing?

I think they cheapest footlong is now $7.99.

And although I love the idea of $5 sandwiches... things arent that cheap anymore. Its like saying I love 25¢ candy bars... but that was 1990.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 22, 2022 04:42PM
Zoidberg
There's a great YouTube channel that documents business things like this, Company Man.

Here's his take on Quizno's: [www.youtube.com]

I'll have to check that out. I've seen several of his videos. I recommend the one where he featured Reebok. You forget how big Reebok used to be. Adidas, which acquired it many years ago, practically killed it due to neglect.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: April 22, 2022 06:23PM
Zero for Idaho -- they're still around in other parts...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 22, 2022 06:38PM
There are three Quiznos not all that far from me, and a few more north of the Bay Area.

Have they turned things around at all, or can we still expect to see them keep disappearing like carrots in a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 22, 2022 07:54PM
....wasn't there a scandal about....Quizsho(w)s.....and a movie about it....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: April 22, 2022 09:11PM
As of March, 2022, 176 locations left. California has the most with 20.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 22, 2022 11:25PM
There's one about two miles from my house in the Pittsburgh suburbs. I've never eaten there, though.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 24, 2022 11:51AM
My wife just had some delivered for us two weeks ago!
Still open AFAIK
[www.grubhub.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: ADent
Date: April 25, 2022 03:18PM
There were 5000 in Idaho? Because the number overall isn't 0 - one of the early standalone stores is still open a couple of miles away.

Google shows 10 in the metro area.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020