advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Heat Pump AC took over ten tries before it started. Does that mean capacitor is weak or worn out?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 23, 2022 12:56AM
It was almost that bad last spring. Should I just replace it now before it gets hot? (The capacitor, not the unit.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2022 01:31AM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Heat Pump AC took over ten tries before it started. Does that mean capacitor is weak or worn out?
Posted by: Bernie
Date: April 23, 2022 04:20AM
Yes!

Staunton, Virginia
Re: Heat Pump AC took over ten tries before it started. Does that mean capacitor is weak or worn out?
Posted by: gadje
Date: April 23, 2022 07:08AM
see if can get a MADE IN USA capacitor.
Date: April 23, 2022 12:59PM
gadje

I have been looking but no luck so far. I saw one “Made In North America.” It’s not hard to figure out what that means.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 23, 2022 01:26PM
Dennis S
gadje

I have been looking but no luck so far. I saw one “Made In North America.” It’s not hard to figure out what that means.

FWIW, my HVAC guy (who is very good) hasn't been able to find non-Chinese heat pump capacitors for many years now. Per him, it's a complete crapshoot as to the quality you'll get, one brand or label is just as likely to be good (or bad) as another.
Date: April 23, 2022 02:20PM
I think I found one made in USA:

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 23, 2022 02:47PM
Dennis S

[www.amazon.com]

Well how about that. I'll pass it along to my guy.
Date: April 23, 2022 03:13PM
Will Collier
Dennis S

[www.amazon.com]

Well how about that. I'll pass it along to my guy.

I just googled “capacitor USA” and clicked the first Amazon link. There may be more.

Edit: There is a brand called Amrad made in the USA. I found several on Amazon searching for “capacitor USA” in the Amazon search. They are almost double he price of Chinese and Mexican ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2022 03:21PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 23, 2022 04:27PM
Been this way for several decades. Capacitors for classic cars with points ignitions have been crap since the 90s. I amassed a stash of NOS back in the early 2000s.

I'm planning on going HEI in another of my Buicks though It gets driven in the summer a lot, and drive-ability is more important.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: April 23, 2022 06:38PM
There is no problem finding USA-made HVAC capacitors...you'll just pay 3x the price of Chinese--made ones.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 23, 2022 07:51PM
Bill in NC
There is no problem finding USA-made HVAC capacitors...you'll just pay 3x the price of Chinese--made ones.

but if it saves service call charges, and downtime at the worst possible time, money well spent.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: April 25, 2022 08:38AM
Racer X
Bill in NC

but if it saves service call charges, and downtime at the worst possible time, money well spent.

absolutely...my HVAC company uses USA-made capacitors.

have only needed one new capacitor (replaced the Chinese-made one that came with the unit) for my 14-year old heat pump so far.
Date: April 25, 2022 08:41AM
I just ordered an Amrad Made in USA for $35.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020