advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone SE2020 camera as good as Canon SX50 for ebay product shots?
Posted by: hal
Date: April 23, 2022 12:14PM
I haven't sold on ebay for a while, but I got some stuff here that needs to go and it's time to do some new listings.

I have a tiny area with a shiny white surface and lots of lights that I use for pictures. In the past, I've used my Canon SX 50 on a tripod, but transferring files to the imac is a PIA. I'm using a cludge of an eyefi SD card and some jerry rigged software and it works, but there are so many steps req'd to get it right and it's been so long that I need to relearn it all.

Or I could just use my iphone SE2020 and transfer via airdrop. WAY easier. I just ran a test and the pics are pretty good. Maybe a little wide angle distortion, but nice and sharp.

What does the forum think... good enough for ebay?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone SE2020 camera as good as Canon SX50 for ebay product shots?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 23, 2022 01:09PM
Absolutely. Any photo with any amount of thought put into it would be good enough for eBay nowadays it seems!

I use the telephoto lens on my iPhone for a little less distortion, although centering the photo can be tricky since it seems the iPhone will use the regular lens at 2x for the preview image, but when you’re so tight to the subject, the difference in lens placement actually makes a dramatic effect on object centering.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 23, 2022 01:10PM
If you are having distortion issues, you are too close. Just back off a bit, then open the file in Preview and crop it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 23, 2022 02:07PM
I use the eBay app/iPhone Photos coordination for adding standard photos. Works great for many things. Very fast and convenient. I only break out the DLSR rig with a macro lens when I want more control, usually to show detail on a small object that the limited close focus on the my iPhone SE can't provide.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2022 02:09PM by Acer.
Date: April 23, 2022 02:17PM
great advice guys - thanks
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 23, 2022 02:41PM
Been splitting the difference w/ our SX740 and the ease of its built in WiFi. For decently lit subjects the quality is great, though Omb's point about backing off the the SE2020 and cropping after swapping works well. I've found that no matter what camera I use, once the pics are on the Mac, it's damn near impossible to resist some sort of tweaking/cropping. This becomes more and more prominent as the resolution increases, since that gives you so much more latitude to work with, and still have more than ample pixels for the finished product. Your SX50 photos are legendary, but pics of stuff for sale aren't as demanding, and your lighting will make whatever camera you use look good online.
You have no fears.
==
Date: April 23, 2022 03:18PM
Well, I did the listing. I'm like Buzz - EVERY photo can be improved so I must do so.

They looked pretty good even though the resolution was well below the SX50 because of backing up a bit - I always topics from about 6' with the SX50 to reduce the wideangle distortion.

The pics are fine - a little green/magenta in the shadows, but good enough for ebay and SOOOOO easy just using the iphone. They are sharp and clear - that's what's most important.
Posted by: Cary
Date: April 23, 2022 03:50PM
I used to transfer pics from camera to mac for listings, then went to iPhone to mac. Now, like Acer, I just use the eBay app on the iphone, and take pics right in the app. Much quicker...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020