advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Adding 4th monitor to my Flight Sim PC for different purpose...
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: April 26, 2022 11:20PM
My Gaming PC Flight Simulator (built summer/fall 2020)

CPU: INTEL - 10th Gen i7-10700 2.9/4.8GHz LGA 1200
Logic Board: MSI - MPG Z490 Gaming Carbon WiFi, ATX, LGA 1200
RAM: Corsair - 32GB (2x16GB) Vengeance Pro RGB, DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz
GPU: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming Z, 8 GB
SSD: Aura - P12 M.2 NVMe 1TB 2280
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212, Black Edition
Power Supply: Corsair - RM850x
Windows 10

Monitors: Dell - 27" HD 1080P IPS P2719H (3 in my simulator)
- attached to Display Ports on the RTX 2070 (leaves one HDMI open)

On an adjacent desk, I was thinking of adding another monitor (likely 4K) for processing video and photo album projects. If I were to use an additional monitor, was thinking of adding it to the HDMI port on the RTX 2070 (there is also integrated video on the motherboard that I could consider). Having separate monitor for this other activity helps from having to take down the Simulator related components (yoke, throttles, etc.). I would operate the setup something like this:

Before boot up:

(1) Power up the 3 monitors if "Flight Simulator" is to be used (4K monitor not powered up), then boot up PC

or

(2) Power up the 4K monitor if "video/photo processing" to be done (other three HD monitors not powered up), then boot up PC

Question:
Would switching back and forth between these two monitor setups on the same PC throw off settings within the PC video setup? For example: If I switch over to use single 4K monitor for awhile and then power down and switch over to other monitors for Flight Simulator, I am wondering if this could throw off my existing triple monitor settings somehow.

The simplest thing may be just to move the flight components off the existing desk when doing the video/photo activities. Little bit of a hassle, but doable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2022 04:14AM by SKYLANE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Adding 4th monitor to my Flight Sim PC for different purpose...
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: April 26, 2022 11:35PM
Can't answer your question, but I'd like to see your sim setup. :-)
Date: April 26, 2022 11:45PM
Carnos Jax...

I started with a single monitor setup, then went to the triple monitor setup. You can see pictures of the setup here: [forums.macresource.com]

This past winter, I bought a new bigger desk for the setup. If I get a chance later,I will post the picture of it here... My next plan is to get a new throttle quadrant for the setup to support multiengine operations...
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: April 26, 2022 11:47PM
Oh wow, much thanks for posting....very nice.
Date: April 26, 2022 11:57PM
Additional photos:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2022 11:59PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 27, 2022 12:21AM
need a wider field of view to spot incoming SAMs?

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 27, 2022 10:07AM
Not sure how Windows deals with the concept of a startup or main desktop screen, but you may not see anything happening on the 4th monitor until the system is fully booted. And then how will you access the apps you want? Can you setup the menu bar to appear on all screens like with macOS?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 27, 2022 11:26AM
mikebw
Can you setup the menu bar to appear on all screens like with macOS?

This is the main issue, which is the "main display" in Display settings and gets the startup logo. The MSI page implies the card has 3 DP, 1 HDMI 2.0b, 1 USB-C ports. I don't have a 20 series card to verify, but one of the ports should default to the startup screen if none of the displays is powered.

Windows 10 still has issues switching between 2k and 4k displays on Startup. If the midpoint of a window isn't within the bounds of a 2k window, it gets resized and centered. It might change depending on which display is powered. You can try to set the 4k display as the main, but it will likely adjust scale and layout when booting if the 4k isn't always turned on.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: April 27, 2022 03:40PM
Thanks for the inputs everyone! You all gave me good things to think about, maybe I just need to try adding a monitor to the setup and see what happens. I will goof around with a 4th monitor that I already have around there (I have an HD monitor and a 2K monitor that I can experiment with). If I come up with something useful, I will report back here in case helpful to anyone.

Just for curiosity sake, since question was asked above by mikebw, I will look to see if the applications bar shows up on all three monitors when they are up and running for Flight Simulator ops. Will report back on that later today...

BTW, something else I plan to experiment with just to see what happens: I will try the 4th monitor on both the integrated and the RTX 2070 separately. I think I am able to use the integrated with the RTX 2070 at some time, but not certain about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2022 03:41PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: April 27, 2022 05:06PM
Hello! I've got a PC I use for MS Flight Simulator 2020 as well. While my monitor has much more detail, I LOVE using my Oculus Quest 2 for the immersion factor. It really feels like you are in the cockpit flying. Running a 6800XT with a 12 gen i5 and it's pretty sweet. Have fun!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020