Date: April 26, 2022 11:21PM
Subject computer:

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir7,2
2.2 GHz Intel Dual-Core i7
RAM: 8 GB
SSD: 1 TB - macOS 12.2.1
Monterey

This question is out of my experience base: A friend is trying to use Zencastr on the subject computer above for podcasting. While using both the audio and video of Zencastr over Google Chrome (Safari and FireFox not supported), the goal is to use the 'video for visual interaction, no video recording' along with 'audio record only'. I think 'audio recording only' is free with Zencastr. The only apps open are Chrome and Notes. He says this activity really winds his fans up on his MacBook Air, I don't recall if he mentioned it crashed once. [Just as an experiment, I let him try his podcast setup on my Flight Sim Gaming PC last week using Edge, he said it worked fine.]

Is this behavior on the 2017 MacBook Air expected with an open browser streaming video/audio? I have the same computer and have no issues using ZOOM, wouldn't Zencastr be similar in demands?

Like I said, I have no experience to share with him on this topic. Was looking to see if anyone uses Zencastr or knows of any alternatives for meeting the goals, which are: Two people remote podcasting, recording video not required, recording audio required (which is later processed in GarageBand).

BTW... I also have a 2011 MacBook Pro:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
2.4 GHz Intel Quad-Core i7
Late 2011, 15-inch Matte
RAM: 16 GB
macOS 10.15.6 (DosDude1)
disabled dedicated AMD GPU since it failed

I noticed Zencastr recommends 10.14 or later, I didn't know if this MacBook Pro could help him out since it had more RAM and Quad Core i7 instead of Dual Core i7. Didn't know if the older architecture or disabled dedicated GPU would hinder the operations...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2022 11:27PM by SKYLANE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone using Zencastr? Friend podcasting, trying it on 2017 MacBook Air
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 26, 2022 11:32PM
Sounds like there's something wrong.

Might be worth taking a look at activity monitor and look at CPU usage before and during using the app. Its possible that there are other CPU hungry tasks running and causing problems.

Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: April 27, 2022 12:04AM
mattkime

I will ask him to make sure there is nothing else open on his computer when using Chrome and the Notes app. Plus, I will have him try that setup from a fresh boot up... will let you know what I find out...

Will help him out to take a look at the Activity Monitor as you suggested as well...

Thanks for the input...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2022 12:05AM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: April 27, 2022 02:38PM
I would stay away from any setup that requires Chrome.
Since it’s a system within a system, one can never be sure what is actually running, or how are resources being allocated.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: April 27, 2022 03:27PM
rich in distress

I have not used Chrome for anything, interesting caution that you share there. I will share that with him. I only use Safari and FireFox, so not familiar with any of the cautions with Chrome. From what he told me, Zencastr is only recommended for Chrome and Edge.

So Chrome is something more than just a browser? Just curious for my own knowledge...
Posted by: btfc
Date: April 27, 2022 06:28PM
Zencastr System Requirements:

[support.zencastr.com]

“ Zencastr is only recommended for Chrome and Edge “

Brave also:

[brave.com]

Start with the basics, Safe Boot w/restart, try a new user.

Checking Activity Monitor is a good idea.

Possibly it doesn’t like Monterey.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: April 27, 2022 10:22PM
I’m not an expert, but… It’s a gateway while being a browser.
When Chrome switched from Apple’s WebKit to its own framework, the development allowed things that were dissuaded by the OS, at least on MacOS.
Being able to run flash, for example, was in detriment of a computer’s hardware resources and security.
Also, the platform allows the creation of web apps that run on the blink engine, again, using all of the resources available on the computer.
Something like that…
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020