advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How useful is iOS 12?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 27, 2022 05:27PM
Been a while, but I was asked to update a bunch of older iPad Air's that were on iOS7!! Looks like iOS 12 is the latest OS to run on them, is that going to be usable and supported by most app store apps or should I let them know it isn't workable? Not sure if they have any budget to get new ones.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How useful is iOS 12?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 27, 2022 05:34PM
Well, it's worthwhile to update 'em from 7 to 12, but, there will be some things they can't run on 12. Whether those things matter to them or not is another question.

If it makes you feel any better, I just updated an iPad from iOS 9 to iOS 15... Frickin' teachers never listen when I say "if you're still running anything under iOS 13, let me know and I'll come update it for you". I spent all last year trying to get them updated... and they still come in in 1's and 2's. *sigh*

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: hal
Date: April 27, 2022 05:43PM
iOS 12 was an amazing upgrade for my iPhone 6 - I was stunned
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 27, 2022 05:46PM
Tits on a bull.......
Posted by: p8712
Date: April 27, 2022 06:03PM
Sell 'em with ios 7 installed - to jailbreakers.
Posted by: clay
Date: April 27, 2022 07:01PM
depends how desperate they are to keep them. Many apps will work, many will not, and that balance will continue to tip in favor of not working with every passing iOS release. Certainly if you stick with Apple apps, you may have better luck with things, but even with those you soon run into issues when interacting with 3rd party websites and web services.

I'd vote to unload them, unless the use case is simple enough that they can run with mostly Apple apps for the near future.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: April 27, 2022 08:41PM
I still am using my iPad Air that is stuck on iOS 12. There are a few apps that won’t work anymore (Best Buy, Amazon, to name a couple). However, the apps that I like that keep me from racing out to update my hardware all work fine.... Safari, Zynga Poker, FlightRadar24, Google Maps, and handful of others...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020