Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
F/U on capacitor for HVAC
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 28, 2022 02:31PM
[forums.macresource.com]

The old one’s top rusted and you can’t read the “herm” and other stuff. I thought the number of tabs would match up but they don’t. Will the colors of the wires match up with the letter and words on the new capacitor? Say color X goes with “Fan” and so on. I can’t get to it right now to see what colors there are. I remember a yellow and I think purple. I doubt if Amrad will talk to me since I’m not a pro. One of the wire tabs was on loose and the receiver tabs are rusty.

This is the new capacitor:

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2022 02:52PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: F/U on capacitor for HVAC
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 28, 2022 02:42PM
Looks like each connector has a different number of tabs used to make the connection to the old wire so I am guessing it is impossible to mess that up. I've done a cap replacement before on a heat pump unit and the only scary part after turning off the power was to bridge the old cap with a screwdriver to ensure it was discharged before disconnecting! Although if it's really dead then nothing will happen.
Date: April 28, 2022 02:47PM
The tab numbers don’t match up. I figured they would.
Posted by: Spock
Date: April 28, 2022 05:18PM
If I remember correctly, 4 tabs = common (power in), 3 tabs = HERM and 1 or 2 tabs = Fan.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: Cary
Date: April 28, 2022 08:29PM
Look on the schematic - does it show terminal nu.bers/letters, or names? Does it show wire colors?
Date: April 28, 2022 08:48PM
It has colors on the terminals. Green = fan, white=herm, orange=CPT and black(in center)=common. But none of the correspond to the existing wire colors hooked to my current capacitor. Also the CPT is supposed to be ignored according to something I read.

The fan has 2 tabs, herm has 3, CPT has 1 and common (in the middle and black) has 4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2022 08:50PM by Dennis S.
Date: April 28, 2022 08:57PM
Spock
If I remember correctly, 4 tabs = common (power in), 3 tabs = HERM and 1 or 2 tabs = Fan.

Right. Fan is 2. CPT is 1. I think CPT is new and doesn’t apply to me. I guess Common has been moved to the center. I didn’t see 1 tab on the old capacitor so got confused and gave up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2022 09:22PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 28, 2022 08:58PM
I'm surprised it's made in USA.

Grateful11
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: April 29, 2022 10:14AM
Dennis S
It has colors on the terminals. Green = fan, white=herm, orange=CPT and black(in center)=common. But none of the correspond to the existing wire colors hooked to my current capacitor. Also the CPT is supposed to be ignored according to something I read.

The fan has 2 tabs, herm has 3, CPT has 1 and common (in the middle and black) has 4.

The CPT terminal is designed to protect the compressor from overheating if a hard-start kit is attached & the 'regular' motor capacitor has failed:

[hvacinsider.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2022 10:17AM by Bill in NC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020