advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Lox/Salmon mail order or just Costco?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 29, 2022 09:20AM
I really like good (very good) smoked salmon, so I'm curious if you all have some suggestions. Now, I am also a bargain hunter, so I've bought my share of Costco ss, but is there something I am missing that can be had for a reasonable price?

(also, making it is a possibility, something I've not attempted before but may, given the cost)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Lox/Salmon mail order or just Costco?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 29, 2022 09:27AM
Trader Joes carries a wide variety. We use several variations.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 29, 2022 09:28AM
>I really like good (very good) smoked salmon, so I'm curious if you all have some suggestions. Now, I am also a bargain hunter,

Perhaps I should look at salmon at costco. Never occurred to me. That said, I find Costco items to be 'high end bargains' - not quite high end quality. Depends upon the particular item. I should try it.

Oh, I haven't been impressed with costco meat. Feel free to try to change my mind.

I think you should treat yourself to [store.eatwildsalmon.com]

I buy whole salmon fillets from them and its become my family's favorite meal. You're reminding me that I should try buying from other places as well. I recently had salmon elsewhere and was quickly reminded how we've been spoiling ourselves.

---

Hm, I guess lox is essentially preserved so perhaps it travels better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2022 09:48AM by mattkime.
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 29, 2022 09:42AM
I like Costco SS.
We have bought it for years.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: April 29, 2022 09:57AM

Oh, I haven't been impressed with costco meat. Feel free to try to change my mind.

Have you bought the Prime grade?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 29, 2022 10:24AM
There are some good places online. This is the best I’ve found, and it’s good value so long as you ship their boxes back:

[www.takustore.com]
Date: April 29, 2022 10:33AM
mrbigstuff

Have you bought the Prime grade?

Not sure, maybe I need to keep an eye on that.
Posted by: d4
Date: April 29, 2022 11:10AM
I've been buying Costco Smoked Salmon for years. At $15/lb it's great bang for the buck. I always have some in the fridge. High-end smoked salmon costs 3-4x as much. Life is too short to deny yourself the "good stuff." Once every couple of months treat yourself to a pound in-between the Costco SS.

Lox on the other hand is a different product. Lox is not smoked. It's cured with salt which makes it SALTY AF.

[russanddaughters.goldbelly.com]

Date: April 29, 2022 11:13AM
anonymouse1
There are some good places online. This is the best I’ve found, and it’s good value so long as you ship their boxes back:

[www.takustore.com]

Oooo, salmon jerky! trader joes had that a number of years ago and I loved it. Perhaps I should try making some. It would be a small batch.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 29, 2022 11:24AM
.....be careful with Salmon......Rushdie......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: April 29, 2022 05:35PM
I guess I've got used to calling nova, lox, when it's technically different.
Posted by: mspace
Date: April 30, 2022 11:16AM
There's a company in Brooklyn that I go to sometimes when they sell directly to the public. Otherwise, it's mail order. Don't know how they compare to other companies listed.

[www.acmesmokedfish.com]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 30, 2022 12:34PM
Costco gets several varieties of lox and SS..... I know it may not be the bargain you’re looking for, but we will buy two or three (or even four) different ones* if we’re not familiar with the brands in stock. If/when they have known good ones, we buy the ones we like, and are not opposed to buying an additional new one, too, for “research” purposes. That being said, following other people’s recs is always a good idea to start with. It being Costco, I justify the inner bargain hunter in me by thinking our cost per pound is excellent..... conveniently forgetting that two and a half pounds of more affordable Costco lox/SS is still costing us more than a half pound of whatever the alternative may have been from wherever else.

If you think about it though, it’s kinduva win/win/win situation all around.
Good luck, and enjoy, and enjoy, and enjoy some more.....

but make sure you’re equally judicious about your “schmear”/cream cheese, because that’s a marriage you don’t wanna get wrong!
==

*most of ‘em freeze well, so we usually have something on hand at all times due to accidentally stocking up during a Costco run. They also periodically cut deals to rebrand good selling products under their Kirkland Signature brand.... we have some of their Kirkland SS from The Netherlands in the fridge that used to be name branded awhile back. On yesterday’s Costco run spousal unit came home with some now Kirkland branded Coastal aged white cheddar, that was still Coastal branded a couple of weeks ago. Now, with Kirkland branding the hunks of cheddar are almost twice the size of the old Coastal branding.... dare I say another win/win/win. BTW, a little Coastal goes great with some heavy wood smoked SS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020