advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Warblers!
Posted by: DP
Date: May 01, 2022 09:33AM
I'm Up North at our cottage checking on it as my wife and I have been very busy so no one has been here in a while. Spring is starting to get going and I'm seeing a lot of small, very active birds so I'm thinking the Warblers are moving in finally.

But I was surprised at the different species that were here already. Four different species!

Now, I have images of these Warblers already but I still enjoy getting new images of these beautiful birds. They're tough to shoot too because they don't stop! They're crazy active and rarely sit-and pose-no more than one to two seconds.

Most are high in the trees and when I shoot from the porch they are still a hundred or more feet away so I have to crop more. My apologies...

I have my trusty SX60 and I did buy a 100-400mm zoom (equivalent to 200-800mm) for my Lumix GX85 and am getting used to it. It isn't as "long" as the SX60 zoom but the quality should be better.

Anyway, as of the end of April here are some images of the Warblers from the NE lower Peninsula. I believe some may be still migrating thru although my bird books say these ones I got are also resident in this area.

This guy is a resident and I see them all season long. It is a male Yellow-rumped Warbler, commonly called a "butter butt". In addition to the yellow on its flanks and on its crown, it has a yellow spot on it's butt. I don't have a view of that today tho...

These next two images are of a species I don't believe I've ever seen here although I have pix of them from Magee Marsh. I was just shooting anything I saw flying around and didn't know what I had till I was reviewing my images. It's a male Palm Warbler:

This next one is a male Pine Warbler-I think. Because that's the only view I got this time, and seeing the bright wing bands, the blah color on it's back, and yellowish rear, I'm pretty sure of it's identity:

This last one is rarer, and, again, I've only seen them at Magee Marsh. It is (once again) a male Black-Throated Green Warbler, and I wonder at how it was named! It does have olive-ish color on it's back and crown but certainly no green...

I am planning on going to Magee Marsh (it's about 20 miles east of Toledo) next week and hope to do a lot better than last year's debacle. Should be some different Warbler species as they migrate thru there all during the month of May. Plus, I can get much closer to the birds there and I should get better quality snaps than with the SX60.

The amazing thing, tho, was that I got all these images in a span of just a few hours!

Thx for looking in...

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Warblers!
Posted by: Wags
Date: May 01, 2022 10:20AM
Nice! Great time of year for birding.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 01, 2022 11:43AM
Wow, a wave! What wonderful good fortune to see and photograph such variety.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 01, 2022 01:09PM
.....thought this would be a thread about.....'Glee'......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: May 01, 2022 06:32PM
Beautiful! We have green, black and white, yellow, etc. I don’t usually get good photos of them, but I know their songs now. We have an Audubon bird management plan, so they did a bird survey and pointed them out.
Posted by: DP
Date: May 01, 2022 06:50PM
RecipeForDisaster
Beautiful! We have green, black and white, yellow, etc. I don’t usually get good photos of them, but I know their songs now. We have an Audubon bird management plan, so they did a bird survey and pointed them out.

Where are you?

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Don C
Date: May 01, 2022 07:37PM
If I have seen a warbler, I did not know that that is what I was seeing.

Apparently a lot of migrating species pass through here (Ohio River valley near Louisville, KY); in the spring and fall. I have not made the time or effort to watch for them; it's something on my "really should do this" list.

The just getting developed Origin Park will make birdwatching one of its recreational features.

Thanks for the photos!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJM
Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020