advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Good ol' eBay
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 01, 2022 02:55PM
Tried to sell a big item locally on Craigslist because i didn't want to ship it (and also didn't want to pay ebay fees, but oh well). Anyway, no interest locally, so I listed it on eBay with a $1.99 starting price with a Buy It Now price of $59.99 (plus $28 shipping).

It just sold for $75. Gotta love that competitive nature of some folks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Good ol' eBay
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 01, 2022 02:58PM
Yeah, I've got to suck it up and get my account reactivated so I can sell some pretty specific items that won't sell on CL.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 01, 2022 05:56PM
Doncha just love those bidding wars?!

Posted by: Acer
Date: May 01, 2022 06:28PM
Not just silly eBay buyers. Happens in live auctions, too. Sometimes an auctioneer will throw out a buy-it-now number on a item slow to get bids, someone will bid well below BIN, but it in the end the item goes above the Buy-It-now

I like to set the BIN on the high side, just above what I think is a good price for me as seller. When I use a BIN price this way, I usually avoid a low opening bid, because low bids will attract recreational and bottom-feeder bidders, and a regular bid on eBay cancels the BIN offer.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2022 06:34PM by Acer.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 01, 2022 07:02PM
Acer
Not just silly eBay buyers. Happens in live auctions, too. Sometimes an auctioneer will throw out a buy-it-now number on a item slow to get bids, someone will bid well below BIN, but it in the end the item goes above the Buy-It-now

I like to set the BIN on the high side, just above what I think is a good price for me as seller. When I use a BIN price this way, I usually avoid a low opening bid, because low bids will attract recreational and bottom-feeder bidders, and a regular bid on eBay cancels the BIN offer.

Happens all the time at live auctions. One auctioneer used to say "ok, we've reached it the hard way."
Posted by: ArtP
Date: May 01, 2022 07:41PM
Maybe I should start a separate thread but for those who eBay sell and use Pirate Ship - question...

I know ebay has suggested shipping rates based on sale of similar items, ebay also generates labels internally, ect... plus return shipping is "guaranteed" through ebay.

Is it (much) cheaper and better to do Pirate ship or easier and more convenient to use ebay "shipping"?

Been years since i have sold anything on ebay and need to get rid of some stuff.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 01, 2022 07:58PM
eBay shipping is discounted, at least for USPS. Similar discounts are offered by PayPal. I'm gonna bet Pirate Bay is on par with that.

I always make all my own selections under eBay shipping, I never just take eBay's recommendation. Many times the weights are way off.

I like eBay shipping and use it for all my eBay sales. It is very convenient and the modest discount is welcome.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 01, 2022 08:38PM
Every "discounted" USPS rate I've seen is the same. I haven't found anyone that offers discounts beyond anyone else offering USPS labels.
Date: May 01, 2022 08:56PM
I actually compared Pirate Ship and ebay for an item I sent a forum member here and in that case Prate Ship was a little cheaper. For today's sale I just went with ebay, largely because of convenience and because the buyer was paying the shipping.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 02, 2022 08:39AM
You can have Pirate Ship access your ebay sales, create a shipping label, then update your auction with the shipping info. I've found Pirate Ship to be generally better on USPS and much better on UPS. YMMV.

Posted by: ArtP
Date: May 02, 2022 09:38AM
Zoidberg
You can have Pirate Ship access your ebay sales, create a shipping label, then update your auction with the shipping info. I've found Pirate Ship to be generally better on USPS and much better on UPS. YMMV.

That's what I needed to know - if Pirate Ship integrates with ebay somehow,
Posted by: mspace
Date: May 02, 2022 10:11AM
Zoidberg

Excellent! Just set that up. Thanks!
Date: May 03, 2022 07:22AM
Yes, good to know. Does ebay acknowledge PirateShip in terms of delivery confirmations and acknowledgements of shipping when it comes to a dispute? I'll have to check it out. I may have some stuff listed soon that will more than likely use USPS Flat rate boxes.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 03, 2022 06:08PM
wurm
Yes, good to know. Does ebay acknowledge PirateShip in terms of delivery confirmations and acknowledgements of shipping when it comes to a dispute?

All eBay cares about is the tracking number. You could manually add the tracking number if you wanted if you bought postage elsewhere (i.e. at retail, which I see a surprising amount of in my eBay purchases). And it sounds like PirateShip will automatically update the tracking number on eBay so you should be good to go!

And in other news... Just now I had a seller ask ME (the buyer) for a shipping label! I already paid $21 for shipping with the purchase (wasn't even free shipping). I told them they could print the label through eBay and then copied/pasted eBay's instructions... Ah, zero feedback sellers (though registered a couple years)... I thought there was a chance this item may never ship, so maybe this is a good sign of sorts...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020