advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I don't want to go full-on keto.
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 02, 2022 12:54PM
But I really need to cut down on my carbs. That seems to be what's keeping my glucose level (and weight) higher than it should be. Okay, that dump cake didn't help. Problem is, we like out pasta. And the 'healthier' substitutes I've seen (spinach, chick pea, cauliflower, etc.) still seem to be 20+g carbs with only about 2g of dietary fiber. Not a very good ratio. And rice is another consistent side-dish or recipe ingredient for us. Then there's the bread, whether it's a half a bagel with breakfast or a home-made egg mcmuffin.

I also thought I was being good by diluting my cranberry juice with seltzer, but apparently I'm not diluting it nearly enough. Probably ought to just stick with water.

So like I said, I know all I have to really do is cut down (a lot) on the pasta, rice and bread. But what else is a carb-addict to do?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I don't want to go full-on keto.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 02, 2022 12:59PM
Mix a thinly sliced zucchini with your pasta if you can’t cut it out. Sorry about the dump cobbler. I made some last night. I’ve got to stop that.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 02, 2022 01:10PM
>But what else is a carb-addict to do?

Get high quality meat, fruit, and veg.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 02, 2022 01:28PM
Wurm,

As a diabetic, I can confirm are definitely low-carb alternatives to just about everything you mentioned. Bread. Pasta. Rice. You name it. The issue is they aren't necessarily available at your local store and, in many cases, expensive. And, unfortunately, many are meh.

Instead of bread, look for low carb wraps. Mission and various brands offer them. Mission is the most commonly available. If you really want bread, find low-carb high fiber bread. Arnold has Keto bread that is low carb and high fiber and readily available.

Pasta is more difficult. It's out there, though. Also, use less pasta and mix more "stuff" into it, i.e. meat, veggies, etc. You may also find some pasta alternatives hit your sugar more than others. That goes for grains in general, too.

Some grains better for you carb-wise than others. Fonio, for example, is consider lower glycemic than other types of grain. Some have simialr carbs but balance it with more protein. Quinoa comes to mind.

Do you have a glucose meter? You don't have to be a diabetic to use one.

Robert
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 02, 2022 01:42PM
Along with reducing on carbs and sugar, I'm getting good results from exercise. When the mood strikes, I'll do some pushups and calisthenics, not on a schedule, trying for at least once a day. Each session might last only ten minutes or less.

Nutritionis told me that eating protein along with carbs slows down the assimilation of carbs and sugars into the body, reducing spikes in glucose after a meal. If it weren't for mobility issues, I'd take walks after dinner.

I like this glucose meter: big river

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2022 01:45PM by lost in space.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 02, 2022 02:16PM
Agree on RM's suggestion of more stuff. Also try making something like lasagna or moussaka with strips of veggies instead of pasta or potatoes.
Posted by: d4
Date: May 02, 2022 02:16PM
Check out Crepini egg wraps. We get them at Costco.
0 sugar. 0 carbs. Main ingredients are eggs and cauliflower.

Date: May 02, 2022 02:17PM
Be aware. I saw some “Keto Bread” at the store. It had 12 grams of carbs per slice. Many breads have 15-16. So it’s not much help.
Date: May 02, 2022 02:20PM
Thanks, all.

Funny thing is, we're not big bread eaters (unless we go out to eat and they have that damn basket of foccachia). I may have a piece of rye toast with my morning eggs or that half a bagel or the english muffin for the aforementioned egg sandwich. Hell, growing up, we had a plate of white bread on the dinner table at mealtime. I can't believe we did that.

Yes, pasta will be tougher. May have to try one of those 'spiralizer' things for zucchini. As for other grains, we tried some farro the other day and I ended up tossing it. We may try some quinoa again.

Yes, I got a glucose meter years ago. In fact, at my last physical, I had the doc prescribe some more test strips because I'd been out for a while. He was happy to do it since apparently I'm borderline. When I behave, the numbers do go down, but it's so damn easy to be bad.

And yes, I've started exercising a bit more. Which is to say more than not at all. As my cardiologist said, "just because the dog is gone doesn't mean you can't take a walk anymore."
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 02, 2022 02:22PM
Going "full on" is frequently designed to benefit the people that sell keto-labeled products. Try to slowly add more healthy items into your diet by cutting foods with sugar and empty carbs (white flour). It is tough when advertisers have been pushing your carb buttons for your whole life. There are healthy fats and cutting too much fat can trigger famine responses in your body. The vast majority of items labeled "Low Fat" are usually high sugar/carbs and should be avoided.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 02, 2022 02:28PM
Try using brown and/or wild rice in place of white rice.

[www.healthcentral.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 02, 2022 02:30PM
btfc
Try using brown and/or wild rice in place of white rice.

[www.healthcentral.com]

Higher glycemic index, but still carbs.

Type II diabetic here... also fighting the carb monster...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 02, 2022 02:57PM
I'm doing the don't eat after Xpm rule. Mostly for my gastric issues but I think it helps for weight control a bit.

Other substitutes can be whole grain pasta, brown rice, and potatoes with skins, small ones to maximize the skin to flesh ratio.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: May 02, 2022 03:23PM
Dennis S
Mix a thinly sliced zucchini with your pasta if you can’t cut it out. Sorry about the dump cobbler. I made some last night. I’ve got to stop that.

I spiraliize zucchini and "dilute" my spaghetti 1:1. I like it a lot. Half the carbs!

I use a lot of cauliflower rice in dishes, too. Not by itself, but I never eat rice that way. I mean under a curry or something.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: May 02, 2022 03:31PM
I've been using these instead of pasta. Definitey not pasta flavor - but since pasta is a vehicle for sauce, it still allows you to enjoy
[shoppingwithdave.com]
I use low carb tortillas (3gm for the whole wheat) to do wraps
Atkins has protein cookies that aren't too bad.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 02, 2022 03:44PM
But what else is a carb-addict to do?

Is this to favorably alter your body chemistry, or to lose weight?

Or both?

I exercise so I don't have to be particularly careful about the foods I ingest.

Exercise, and in particular weight training can do a lot to stave off weight gain, or at least less healthy weight gain.

Lose inches and be healthier.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 02, 2022 04:05PM
RAMd®d
But what else is a carb-addict to do?

Is this to favorably alter your body chemistry, or to lose weight?

Or both?

I exercise so I don't have to be particularly careful about the foods I ingest.

Exercise, and in particular weight training can do a lot to stave off weight gain, or at least less healthy weight gain.

Lose inches and be healthier.

Yes, both. Need to bring down glucose/triglicerides and lose weight. And eating better and exercising more should work wonders...if I do it. ;)
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 02, 2022 05:37PM
Dennis,

Carbs is one part of the picture. Net carbs is what counts. To get that, you subtract the dietary fiber from the total number of carbs. Here's an example that shows the difference between a low-carb bread and a regular bread.

Arnold Keto Bread:

[www.walmart.com]

1 slice is 11g carbs. Of those carbs, it's 8g dietary fiber. Net carbs is 3g per slice.

Arnold Country White:

[www.walmart.com]

1 slice is 26g carbs. Of those carbs, it's 1g dietary fiber. Net carbs is 25g per slice.

Both types of bread have the same amount of protein. If you're on a low-carb diet, the choice between the two is obvious. You want the Arnold Keto bread.

I could eat the Arnold Keto bread without a second thought. No can do with the Arnold Country White, which is actually one of my favorite breads. Definitely one of those times when being diabetic sucks.

Robert
Posted by: dk62
Date: May 02, 2022 06:37PM
Lots of konjac noodles. Some do not have the strong smell that needs to be washed out. But all are rather tasteless and require long simmering with sauce to get some taste in. You can also try whole wheat pasta - same carbs as regular but lower glycemic index.

The biggest problem for me is real bread (I detest sliced varieties) - there is nothing to replace a good baguette or boule. Or bagels. Otherwise: Mission wraps, as mentioned, easiest to find and OK to eat, either as a wrap or, even better, toasted. 647 bread is also OK in moderation. I sometimes bake whole wheat bread (100% whole wheat flour) - again, same carbs as white bread, but lower glycemic index.

For sweets, sugar-free Aunt Gussie's almond cookies from Amazon, ChocZero keto bark, GoodGood jam (watery but real fruity taste). Some Lilly's chocolates are also good, but the sweetener in ChocZero is more benign (monk fruit).
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 02, 2022 07:11PM
before peripheral neuropathy set in last year, I was walking 3-6 miles a day, 5-7 days a week.

I have a red wine or beer or 2 most nights.
I have a endless love for sweets.
I'm a very good baker of both bread and sweets.
Love pasta and pizza and everything bad for me.
We gave up red meat 40 years ago.
That had nothing to do with giving a f'k about the cow.
We eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies.
Like soda, juice is a glass of sugar.
Buddy gave up coke and dropped 30 pounds in 3 months with no other change. Sits alot on the job and doesn't exercise much.

With the pn, I'm struggling with 3 miles 4 days.
I've had to adjust my eating habits for the first time in 20 years (cheese) and try to beat back bad ones. Pie before bed. With whip creme.

The pn is affecting my head as well as my right leg. It blows monkey junk. I was hoping to go trek Cinque Terre this year with a few OF's.
Last year I was walking faster (and way more) than many of my work mates what are 20 years younger.

Hoping getting back on the bike will keep my weight in line.

50 plus years ago when I used to go to work with my da, we'd walk everywhere in Manhattan, from BPC to Harlem. Never a subway or taxi unless it was coming down in buckets. Right til he retired at 70. He was reasonably fit and, other than red meat, ate well.

Not a fan of medicine, but unless you're diabetic, or hi cholesterol or COPD, genetics, etc; no red meat, walk as much as you can, eat what you like and get proper sleep (which thus far I'm failing miserably, but hope to fix with a SomnoMed device).

YMMD

"What I'm out for is a good time - all the rest is propaganda!"
Arthur Seaton

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 02, 2022 09:54PM
I love Cranberry Juice. They do sell it sweetened with non-sugars as well.

Its really easy to make your own. I sweeten mine with "the yellow envelope stuff".

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: decay
Date: May 03, 2022 10:25AM
Have you tried spaghetti squash?

My daughter cooks it sometimes, and it's very satisfying!

[www.wellandgood.com]

Here's a run-down of all the nutrients you'll find in one cup of spaghetti squash, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture:

Protein: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Fiber: 2 g
Calcium: 29 mg
Vitamin C: 5 mg
Vitamin A: 150 IU

---
Date: May 03, 2022 01:18PM
I think we tried it once, but unsuccessfully. Probably worth a try again, although everyone in the family seems onboard with zoodles, too. Thanks.
Date: May 03, 2022 01:33PM
wurm
I think we tried it once, but unsuccessfully. Probably worth a try again, although everyone in the family seems onboard with zoodles, too. Thanks.

It’s not really a substitute for spaghetti; it’s its own thing. I Iike it OK.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 03, 2022 04:26PM
IMO you'll have some hits and misses as you look for carb substitutes. I'm not sure how much you're benefiting from looking for substitutes since you're basically staring at the thing you can't have.

Can you increase your food budget? Think of it as a health care expense. Only the best meat, fruit, and veg for you! At first it will feel extravagant but after a while you'll get used to it in a good way. You'll notice lower quality food when it comes across your plate.

What are your favorite foods that aren't carbs? Get creative with them. Indulge in them. Make different variations. Reward yourself for doing the right thing.

Don't beat yourself up if you wander from your goals now and then. Just get back to what you know you should be doing.

Its likely a mental shift as much as anything else.

Maybe you can even hit your glucose and weight goals and enjoy a good dessert or pasta now and then. When you eat them infrequently you can make sure you're making the most of your allotted carb intake.

---

Sorry for the rant. My brother in law struggles with this and its maddening to me because its so important.

Date: May 04, 2022 03:25PM
mattkime
IMO you'll have some hits and misses as you look for carb substitutes. I'm not sure how much you're benefiting from looking for substitutes since you're basically staring at the thing you can't have.

Can you increase your food budget? Think of it as a health care expense. Only the best meat, fruit, and veg for you! At first it will feel extravagant but after a while you'll get used to it in a good way. You'll notice lower quality food when it comes across your plate.

What are your favorite foods that aren't carbs? Get creative with them. Indulge in them. Make different variations. Reward yourself for doing the right thing.

Don't beat yourself up if you wander from your goals now and then. Just get back to what you know you should be doing.

Its likely a mental shift as much as anything else.

Maybe you can even hit your glucose and weight goals and enjoy a good dessert or pasta now and then. When you eat them infrequently you can make sure you're making the most of your allotted carb intake.

---

Sorry for the rant. My brother in law struggles with this and its maddening to me because its so important.

I'd say that's far from a rant, but rather another option. Thanks. I'm a little unclear about how Only the best meat, fruit, and veg for you will make a difference. Unless you're talking about which type of each of those categories. Sweet potato vs white potato I understand. But an expensive sweet potato vs a regular sweet potato, not so much.

Your last line pretty much nailed it. I'm fortunate in that if I just behave reasonably well, things will get back in line.
Date: May 04, 2022 05:46PM
I get what wurm said. He was talking right at me. I have “cost” to high on my parameter list. He’s talking about avocados, better lettuce, salmon, nuts, etc. I wish I weren’t so cheap so I could do a better job at this.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 04, 2022 06:17PM
cados! yum! my brother looks at me when I buy at the current price$.
but it's one expen$ive item I cannot do without.
I eat one by itself for lunch.
cados! yum!

!#$@@$#!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020