The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is this a good deal on a Mac mini?
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 09, 2022 01:39PM
I need to upgrade my current Mac mini
How good of a deal is this?
Do we think the mini will be getting a refresh soon?

[www.costco.com]

Costco

HOT BUY!

Mac mini with Apple M1 Chip 8-Core CPU, 8-Core GPU, 8GB Memory and 256GB SSD, Silver

$569.99 Delivered
After $100 OFF

Also, I have an older (2010 ish) Apple Cinema Display. Is there any reason it wouldn’t work with this mini?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is this a good deal on a Mac mini?
Posted by: clay
Date: May 09, 2022 01:43PM
probably updated model coming soon-ish. Current one (the one in question) came out fall of 2020. Still a good computer if it handles your needs. I have that exact same model in service as my daily driver. Works quite well, though I would eventually like to upgrade to something with a bit more horsepower.

If you're not in a hurry to get one, I'd recommend waiting until at least June (WWDC) to see if updates get announced.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: May 09, 2022 01:54PM
...Also, while some proudly "get along" with 8GB of RAM, you should get 16GB for the best performance.

And 256GB of storage is probably not enough. (How much are you using now?)

...What model Cinema display? 2010 was when they transitioned to the last style, so it could be either of two models: The ancient DVI silver-bezel with the massive power-brick, or the slightly less-ancient 27-inch mini Displayport aluminum one that looks like a Thunderbolt display and uses an iMac power-cable?

If it's the DVI model, what size?

Date: May 09, 2022 02:09PM
Tiangou
...Also, while some proudly "get along" with 8GB of RAM, you should get 16GB for the best performance.

And 256GB of storage is probably not enough. (How much are you using now?)

...What model Cinema display? 2010 was when they transitioned to the last style, so it could be either of two models: The ancient DVI silver-bezel with the massive power-brick, or the slightly less-ancient 27-inch mini Displayport aluminum one that looks like a Thunderbolt display and uses an iMac power-cable?

If it's the DVI model, what size?

I am only using 154GB of my current 500GB HD right now.

Looks like the display is a 2005 vintage, guess I was off a bit, so the ancient silver-bezel with the big block power supply, lol.

Apple Cinema Display 23-Inch (Aluminum) Specs
Identifiers: Aluminum - M9178LL/A - A1082

All Cinema Display Models | Bookmark & Share | Download: PDF Manual

Apple Cinema DisplayThe Apple 23-Inch Cinema Display (Aluminum), designed to aesthetically complement the previously introduced Power Macintosh G5 and PowerBook G4 models, features a 23-inch wide-format (1920x1200) active-matrix LCD display and dual FireWire "400" and dual USB 2.0 ports.

It is housed in an "aluminum design with a very thin bezel, suspended by an aluminum stand with an adjustable hinge that makes tilting the display almost effortless", and supports the "Electronics Standards Association (VESA) mounting interface standard" which makes it easy to mount this display on a kiosk, wall, or articulating arm.

This model uses the industry standard DVI (Digital Video Interface) and consequently is compatible with all DVI-equipped Power Macs and PowerBooks, in addition to properly equipped Windows PCs.

Posted by: Tiangou
Date: May 09, 2022 02:49PM
On the plus side, if it's the 23-inch model (or smaller) then you don't need an expensive dual-link adapter. It should work with a USB-C/DVI adapter.

Minus side: It also needs a USB-A connection to work. So, if you don't buy a hub or dock to give you more ports, you'll use both a USB-C and a USB-A port for it. The M1 mini has just two of each.

(Get a USB or Thunderbolt dock or hub.)

Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 09, 2022 03:16PM
I'd agree with the 16G ram and 500G SSD.

compared to refurbme that's $10 less.
Since it's new from CostCo seems a good deal, other things considered.

!#$@@$#!

Date: May 09, 2022 03:17PM
Tiangou
On the plus side, if it's the 23-inch model (or smaller) then you don't need an expensive dual-link adapter. It should work with a USB-C/DVI adapter.

Minus side: It also needs a USB-A connection to work. So, if you don't buy a hub or dock to give you more ports, you'll use both a USB-C and a USB-A port for it. The M1 mini has just two of each.

(Get a USB or Thunderbolt dock or hub.)

Thanks. It’s a 23”.
I should probably think about getting a new display.

Posted by: August West
Date: May 09, 2022 03:38PM
IIRC, Costco will add an extra year of warranty, too.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 09, 2022 03:38PM
It's a "good deal" but it's exactly the same deal we have seen frequently since the M1 mini was first introduced.

I'm not sure 16GB RAM would be any more useful if you don't do heavy lifting with it. On the other hand, 256GB is probably fine, but personally I would opt for 512GB of storage, just to give yourself more room. Just my opinion.
Date: May 09, 2022 03:49PM
Thanks all.
Maybe I will wait till after the next Apple event in June, even though I doubt there will be an update, Lol.

Posted by: MikeF
Date: May 09, 2022 03:55PM
rgG
Thanks all.
Maybe I will wait till after the next Apple event in June, even though I doubt there will be an update, Lol.

Doesn't matter. The update will come out within a week after you buy. Or so it seems to work for me...
Date: May 09, 2022 04:24PM
MikeF
rgG
Thanks all.

Doesn't matter. The update will come out within a week after you buy. Or so it seems to work for me...

No doubt. Lol

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 09, 2022 04:48PM
Good decision.
rgG
Thanks all.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 09, 2022 06:11PM
Im an 8 GB believer. kids and wife all have 8 GB in their M1s, never a hiccup doing days to day normal stuff. zip right along. wife runs 2 screens and VPN into her work PC. all fine.

External SSDs are cheap if you need more space (which doesn't seem like it), no reason to pay the apple tax on storage.

And Im gonna keep posting this until gone... not an M1, but still a very fast intel with a $1500 27" Studio display + DIY ram... $985... [eshop.macsales.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 09, 2022 07:05PM
jdc
Im an 8 GB believer. kids and wife all have 8 GB in their M1s, never a hiccup doing days to day normal stuff. zip right along. wife runs 2 screens and VPN into her work PC. all fine.

External SSDs are cheap if you need more space (which doesn't seem like it), no reason to pay the apple tax on storage.

And Im gonna keep posting this until gone... not an M1, but still a very fast intel with a $1500 27" Studio display + DIY ram... $985... [eshop.macsales.com]

Damn. That is a nice looking setup. Hmmmmmmm

Posted by: Cary
Date: May 09, 2022 08:09PM
I have an M1 mac mini 8/256, and an M1 Air, also 8/256. I'm an 8GB believer, too.

I was really concerned about the 8 vs 16 thing - am no longer. 8 GB is p!enty for all my (admittedly pedestrian) needs.

I don't create video or music. I do use business was productivity apps, multiple web browsers with many windows / tabs, email, etc.

Your use case may differ.

As far as storage, $200 for an extra 256GB seems silly to me. I bought a 1TB NVME SSD, and an external USB 3.2 case for about $120, and have that attached to one of the USB C ports.

Works great.

That iMac looks pretty nice, though...
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 10, 2022 12:46AM
I'd like to mention that those of us suggesting 8GB RAM is enough are talking about the M1 only. If it's an Intel CPU then more is better.

Also, I agree that 256GB of storage might be enough and external storage is cheap, however, while mostly theoretical, there is some indication that bumping up the storage makes it last longer (not that I'd lose any sleep over it). And using 154GB currently means only 100GB (a little less actually) is available for swap not to mention added software/data later on. 256GB just seems a little tight to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2022 12:46AM by AllGold.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 142
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020