advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Will someone please explain to me why the Jeopardy host is a big deal?
Posted by: jonny
Date: May 09, 2022 06:23PM
Every day I see at least two articles in my news reader about who is or isn’t the Jeopardy host. Am I missing something? The person stands there for 20 minutes, chatting and reading answers. Who cares whether the host is‘Ken’ or ‘Mayim’?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2022 06:24PM by jonny.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Will someone please explain to me why the Jeopardy host is a big deal?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 09, 2022 06:26PM
You have to have just the right snark and be willing to work with Vanna White.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 09, 2022 06:32PM
Work with Vanna White?!

Who cares whether the host is‘Ken’ or ‘Mayim’?

Obviously, you don't so no answer will make you happy.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 09, 2022 06:32PM
Your newsfeed knows you like Jeopardy so it lines up whatever news it can find for you. I haven't ever seen a link to any articles about the Jeopardy or its host. My newsfeed knows I don't care about Jeopardy.
Date: May 09, 2022 06:37PM
RAMd®d
Work with Vanna White?!

Obviously, you don't so no answer will make you happy.

Do you?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 09, 2022 06:42PM
BIG shoes to fill - the competition to fill them makes for good publicity.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 09, 2022 06:53PM
jonny

Ken is not the host of Jeopardy. He is "hosting Jeopardy". Mayim is "the host of Jeopardy". There is a distinction in how they are introduced.

However, at the end of the season, maybe they'll realize nobody actually cares that much, or that we've just gotten used to Ken and give him the regular hosting job.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 09, 2022 07:01PM
jonny
Every day I see at least two articles in my news reader about who is or isn’t the Jeopardy host. Am I missing something? The person stands there for 20 minutes, chatting and reading answers. Who cares whether the host is‘Ken’ or ‘Mayim’?

For fans of the show, what is essentially happening is a long time featured “main character” of the show is being replaced. Alex Trebek had a personal style in handling the show as host and as quizmaster that became almost part and parcel with the show. That element is now gone and will be replaced by a different ‘vibe’.

It’s just people doing a little recreational frothing over one of their entertainment mainstays; with, as usual, a little extra exaggerated pearl clutching for the fun of it.

As always, be it cupcakes or climate change, there are those with a little too much time on their hands who will become overinvested — the squeaky wheel element — but they are the noisome outliers, not the norm.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 09, 2022 07:02PM
Well, I like the way Ken hosts much better than Mayim.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: May 09, 2022 07:06PM
Blankity Blank
jonny

For fans of the show, what is essentially happening is a long time featured “main character” of the show is being replaced. Alex Trebek had a personal style in handling the show as host and as quizmaster that became almost part and parcel with the show. That element is now gone and will be replaced by a different ‘vibe’.

It’s just people doing a little recreational frothing over one of their entertainment mainstays; with, as usual, a little extra exaggerated pearl clutching for the fun of it.

As always, be it cupcakes or climate change, there are those with a little too much time on their hands who will become overinvested — the squeaky wheel element — but they are the noisome outliers, not the norm.

Superlative summation. Thank you.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 09, 2022 07:24PM
Do you?

I do, but I don't watch much.

There's a lot of other stuff on the plate.

I'd posit the same applies to a lot of non-fans.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 09, 2022 07:34PM
jonny
Blankity Blank
jonny

Superlative summation. Thank you.

Seconded
Posted by: Don C
Date: May 09, 2022 08:21PM
I have been getting a lot of feeds trying to get me to read about Mayim's latest problems and to my knowledge I have never shown any interest in Jeopardy.

I did once look up where she lives, because my wife was CONVINCED that she lives in Louisville and films her Louisville themed show there. I was smart enough to confirm what I thought I knew; I was smarter to not mention it again.

Apparently that one search made me a fan of Mayim according to the inescapable algorithms.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 09, 2022 08:32PM
rgG
Well, I like the way Ken hosts much better than Mayim.

I'm inclined to agree, though Mayim is a fellow (though much younger) UCLA alum (she wasn't born until several years after I graduated), so it's hard to root against her. Ken's only hosting drawback is the pitch/tone of his voice.... if he could take voice lessons, and deepen his voice, he'd be the total replacement package. Mayim's obviously a smarty-pants too, but she's got a few too many quirks that makes her hosting less seamless than Ken's. Alex was the perfect fit, so it's gonna be tough to replace perfection.
==

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2022 05:33PM by Buzz.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 09, 2022 09:00PM
I'm an Art Fleming guy myself

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 09, 2022 09:04PM
Blankity Blank

Now I want cupcakes.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 09, 2022 09:14PM
I have a more complete explanation. Members of my family are now in a third generation of avid Jeopardy watchers.

I bailed out in the early days because I found I knew a lot of the answers-at that time-and didn't think I was learning much from it. Education being the important thing to most fans, I believe.
I have relatives even today who have a strict 'don't call me' prohibition in place from 7-7:30.

If you've been watching Jeopardy from childhood and have spanned the decades with Alex, his successors are of vital importance. (I like Ken better than Mayim when I brush by it every so often....but that's just me.)

The raw days of Art Fleming are somewhere in the primeval founding myth category (for $500).
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 09, 2022 09:18PM
Steve G.

Thank you, Don Pardo. Thank you!
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 09, 2022 10:02PM
Steve G.

Agreed. As a grammar school kid, I'd race home for lunch. My parents would have Jeopardy on and we'd just shout out answers. What ever happened to Art?
Date: May 09, 2022 10:23PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Blankity Blank

Now I want cupcakes.

What is, “Now I want cupcakes”? big grin smiley

As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: May 10, 2022 06:59AM
Steve G.

Shout out to all of us old farts who remember Art Fleming.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 10, 2022 07:23AM
I burned out the fifteenth time a family member or friend told me I should be on that show, today I cant remember who they were or why I should care.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 10, 2022 08:34AM
.....the hostess.....with the mostess.....on the ball.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 10, 2022 10:10AM
Mike Sellers
Steve G.

Shout out to all of us old farts who remember Art Fleming.

“Let’s… Play… Jeopardy!” big grin smiley

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 10, 2022 10:28AM
.....is Art Fleming the guy that wrote the James Bond books ;)......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: d4
Date: May 10, 2022 11:20AM
Re: article algorithms
For some reason I'm constantly bombarded with Dua Lipa cr@p every other day. WTF.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 10, 2022 05:40PM
d4
For some reason I'm constantly bombarded with Dua Lipa cr@p every other day. WTF.

I'd rather have that than the crap I'm bombarded with.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 10, 2022 05:58PM
AllGold
d4

I'd rather have that than the crap I'm bombarded with.

So those commodes really are AllGold.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020