advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Got around to watching "Strange New Worlds"
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 09, 2022 07:33PM
... and I will probably NOT be watching this again... I might watch maybe 1-2 more episodes to see if it gets any better, but I don't see that happening.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2022 07:35PM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Got around to watching "Strange New Worlds"
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: May 09, 2022 07:39PM
PeterB
... and I will probably NOT be watching this again... I might watch maybe 1-2 more episodes to see if it gets any better, but I don't see that happening.

I don't think they're going to easily find lookalikes who are also decent actors.

Date: May 09, 2022 07:45PM
Tiangou
PeterB

I don't think they're going to easily find lookalikes who are also decent actors.

Right, but it's not just about physical appearance, as I pointed out. It's also the acting (or writing, I suppose).

Posted by: Tiangou
Date: May 09, 2022 08:28PM
I thought it was a promising start.

Pilots are often a little meh.

I don't think there's anything wrong with filling in the back-story on Spock's wife. And modern actors and sets are not going to perfectly match TOS.

Posted by: Acer
Date: May 09, 2022 09:03PM
Uhuru had like 15 seconds of screen time. How can we know how the actor or the writing are going to progress from that small a sample.
Date: May 09, 2022 09:39PM
Tiangou
I thought it was a promising start.

Pilots are often a little meh.

I don't think there's anything wrong with filling in the back-story on Spock's wife. And modern actors and sets are not going to perfectly match TOS.

Except for the fact that the filling in of the backstory is inconsistent with canon.

Acer
Uhuru had like 15 seconds of screen time. How can we know how the actor or the writing are going to progress from that small a sample.

I thought it was definitely more than 15 seconds... that scene in the turbolift with the alien was laughable (and not in a good way).

Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 09, 2022 09:53PM
I was also unimpressed. Pike is a great character and the actor is very good but the script…not so much. I’ve come to terms with this new Star Trek not being Star Trek so that didn’t bother me. It’s the bizarre characters that really threw the show off (along with the bad writing). I’ll part ways with Peter and say I have hope for Ohura although we haven’t seen enough to say for sure. I felt like Discovery was split into two shows. The young people and their social programming were sent into the future (somewhat poetic I thought) and the old people were to be relegated to Strange New worlds but I may have been mistaken on the second part. We will see.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 09, 2022 10:17PM
If they go with the Monster of the Week format, there may be hope that some good episodes will rise to the top, as they did with TOS and TNG. The risk of arc-heavy series is if the arc sucks, you're sunk.
Got around to watching "Strange New Worlds"
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 09, 2022 10:47PM
Tiangou

Zoe Saldaña looks nothing like Nichelle Nichols at near the same age, but did a fine job.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: May 10, 2022 01:16PM
Rolando
Tiangou

Zoe Saldaña looks nothing like Nichelle Nichols at near the same age, but did a fine job.

That's where I'll disagree with you. I like Zoe as an actress, but did NOT like her as Uhura (but then, I didn't like anything about that movie)... don't know if I can fault Zoe for that though, again it's the writing-- the whole Spock-Uhura romance thing was just ugh...

Posted by: raz
Date: May 10, 2022 04:58PM
Karl Urban was the only redeeming feature of that movie

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 10, 2022 05:26PM
....thought that was an Urban.....legend......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 10, 2022 08:58PM
raz

For the most part, I didn't have a problem with the casting... I thought many of the actors they chose were on-target. The problem I had was the substitution of crazy camera angles, lens flare, camera shake, running down corridors, sensory overload, and all other manner of nonsense for actual good writing, characterization, and plot. Also, using the names of things from Star Trek without their having any meaning and violating canon left and right. It was one of the Transformers movies except with the label "Star Trek" slapped on it.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 11, 2022 02:34AM
PeterB
raz

For the most part, I didn't have a problem with the casting... I thought many of the actors they chose were on-target. The problem I had was the substitution of crazy camera angles, lens flare, camera shake, running down corridors, sensory overload, and all other manner of nonsense for actual good writing, characterization, and plot. Also, using the names of things from Star Trek without their having any meaning and violating canon left and right. It was one of the Transformers movies except with the label "Star Trek" slapped on it.

LOL “Optimus Kirk”

It is what it is.
Date: May 11, 2022 10:43AM
N-OS X-tasy!
PeterB
raz

LOL “Optimus Kirk”

These videos illustrate part of why I can't stand NuTrek:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020