advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Teeth south of the border
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 10, 2022 07:16AM
Elderly acquaintances on minimal SS both in need of major reconstructive dental work with nothing locally available. My impression (could be wrong) is that these sort of dental services may be available for them in Mexico.

We would be able to help with trans back and forth but I've no idea if it's a real option for them or not.

Anyone know?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Teeth south of the border
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 10, 2022 07:33AM
The dental work is less expensive by a long shot, the care is pretty much equal to the US. What needs to be looked at is the time factor - can your friend afford to stay there for the entire procedure? What if it involves multiple trips?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 10, 2022 07:34AM
[www.dentavacation.com]

[www.medicaltourism.com]

if you goog dental tourism or medical tourism, there is plenty to read.
some countries are better than others for different "work".

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 10, 2022 08:20AM
Look for a dental school nearby. Often they offer free or low cost dental work as the students need to practice.
Posted by: mspace
Date: May 10, 2022 08:25AM
Another vote for checking a dental school. I've had great work done at Columbia Dental School. Very affordable by comparison.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 10, 2022 09:09AM
mspace
Another vote for checking a dental school. I've had great work done at Columbia Dental School. Very affordable by comparison.

The NYU Dental School does a terrible job, lets students basically experiment on you and by definition, they don't know what they are doing.
They completely refunded all the money on a terribly botched job. Avoid dental students and their schools at all costs. the more complex the procedure, the greater the danger to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2022 12:26PM by Steve G..
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 10, 2022 11:35AM
Depends on the dental school. Certainly they're good for simple procedures. An implant? I dunno.....
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 10, 2022 12:07PM
I knew a well-off couple from Ft. Worth who drove to Mexico for all their dental work. I have no details; it’s just that these two people did it makes it a valid option worthy of looking into, in my opinion.
Date: May 10, 2022 12:13PM
These folks need a complete refurb (maybe teaching schools don't even do those) and they live within 150 or so miles of the border so it might seem like Spanish replacements might be the answer.

How to find a hook up is the question, cant see them wandering through Tijuana or environs without a guide.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 10, 2022 06:30PM
RgrF
These folks need a complete refurb

What the heck does "complete refurb" mean within the context of dentistry?

It is what it is.
Posted by: rz
Date: May 10, 2022 08:12PM
RgrF
How to find a hook up is the question, cant see them wandering through Tijuana or environs without a guide.

Don't need to wander. You don't get more than about 100 yards into Mexico before you see all the pharmacies and dental clinics.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 10, 2022 09:00PM
teeth south of the border are usually referred to as V agina Dentata

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2022 09:01PM by Racer X.
Date: May 11, 2022 01:43AM
N-OS X-tasy!
RgrF
These folks need a complete refurb

What the heck does "complete refurb" mean within the context of dentistry?

In this context it would mean that they have less than half their original allotment and what's left is decayed and leaving shortly. Neither have had any sort of routine professional dental care over the years and are now paying the price they couldn't afford to pay back then; good people - often referred to as working poor - they don't see themselves that way.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 11, 2022 08:18AM
Researching and finding competent medicos and dentists would at the tippy top of the Priorities list.

Watching several seasons of Botched, it's apparent there are a lot of poor doctors, and possibly dentists south of the border, waiting to relieve turistas of their cash without the necessary skills to earn that money.

Not that we don't have that between our north and south borders, but typically people aren't flocking there seeking huge discounts for medical care.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 11, 2022 11:37AM
I bet there is a forum where people recommend good dentists and have tips on how to get the best results.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 11, 2022 04:01PM
I've thought about it for an implant, but haven't done much research. It was about half the cost IIRC. The idea being you spend the other half on air, food and lodging, which does sound pretty good. But there's waiting involved in many procedures so I do think some may require a return trip or a very long stay.
Date: May 11, 2022 06:33PM
Proximity's one issue, whether they can get adequate care near the border or might have to travel inland to find it. Vetting available care is the more important one and we've no idea where to start with that.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 11, 2022 08:30PM
Merída seemed to be a big destination for that sort of thing, withlots of ex-pats of various nationalities.
Date: May 12, 2022 10:04PM
That's on the Yucatan Peninsula so it would most likely represent mid to upscale tourist dollars, they'll be looking at driving from SoCal, someplace without tourist driven pricing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 53
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020