advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
it doesn't ad up?!....Netflix ad supported tier could arrive by end of 2022....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 10, 2022 10:38AM
.....as reported.....

Netflix’s ad-supported tier and password-sharing crackdown could launch by the end of 2022

The timetables are accelerating

....It has been less than a month since Netflix announced slowing revenue growth and its first subscriber drop in over a decade, and now The New York Times reports that it’s accelerating the schedule on initiatives to turn those things around.

Netflix was already openly talking about pushing people who share their account logins to pay more, and once the report came out, co-CEO Reed Hastings changed his tune on ad-supported streaming, saying he would try to figure it out over the “next year or two.” According to the Times, a recent note to employees said executives are now aiming to introduce the ad tier at some point in the last three months of 2022, with a crackdown on password sharing starting in the same window.

Disney Plus announced its own intentions for ad-supported streaming in March, and Catie Keck wrote about that, asking how long would it take for others to follow. The answer appears to be “not very long at all,” as the Times said the note specifically mentions the fact that all of Netflix’s streaming competitors, with the exception of Apple TV Plus, either offer or have announced ad-supported streaming tiers.

When Netflix announced its new focus on password sharing, analyst Richard Greenfield of LightShed Partners told The Verge that this could be the way for it to close a gap of an extra 10 to 20 million customers in the US.

All of these changes also arrive as Netflix is now more expensive than ever. The most recent price hike raised the monthly price of its standard HD streaming plan with two simultaneous streams by $1.50 to $15.49 per month, while its premium tier with 4K and four simultaneous streams now costs $19.99 in the US.

ads...........are coming..........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: it doesn't ad up?!....Netflix ad supported tier could arrive by end of 2022....
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 10, 2022 11:10AM
T-Mobile customers get a "Standard" Netflix subscription (NO ads) for free. If that changes, I'd drop Netflix in a heartbeat.
Re: it doesn't ad up?!....Netflix ad supported tier could arrive by end of 2022....
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 10, 2022 01:36PM
We were talking last weekend about what service to drop - Netflix was the obvious choice.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 10, 2022 01:56PM
Ombligo
We were talking last weekend about what service to drop - Netflix was the obvious choice.

Same here. There's some talk about waiting to watch S4 of Stranger Things first but I dunno.

Posted by: Michael
Date: May 11, 2022 05:08AM
testcase
T-Mobile customers get a "Standard" Netflix subscription (NO ads) for free. If that changes, I'd drop Netflix in a heartbeat.

That was my first thought when Netflix started talking about an ad supported tier. I imagine T-Mobile would downgrade us to that one. I think I'd pay a few dollars a month to go to the no ad tier at that point.

Of course, I wonder how T-Mobile does the free Netflix and the $10 off YoutubeTV and Philo offers. I just got a T-Mobile offer for free Apple TV for a year.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 12, 2022 05:37PM
Michael
testcase

That was my first thought when Netflix started talking about an ad supported tier. I imagine T-Mobile would downgrade us to that one. I think I'd pay a few dollars a month to go to the no ad tier at that point.

Of course, I wonder how T-Mobile does the free Netflix and the $10 off YoutubeTV and Philo offers. I just got a T-Mobile offer for free Apple TV for a year.

There already IS a "cheaper version" of Netflix but, T-Mobile provides the $15/month "Standard" Netflix. I expect that, because of volume, T-Mo gets a substantial discount on said "Standard" Netflix so, once any agreement between T-Mo & Netflix expires then T-Mo customers might face changes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020