AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple discontinues the last iPod model
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 10, 2022 11:15AM

so long to all that

Apple discontinues the last iPod model
[www.cnbc.com]

Apple is discontinuing the iPod touch, the last version of the portable music player it still sells.

The announcement ends an era of digital music that Apple kicked off when it first introduced the iPod in 2001, boasting of its ability to hold “up to 1,000 CD-quality songs into an ultra-portable, 6.5 ounce design that fits in your pocket.”

The first version of the iPod touch, which more closely resembles the iPhone, was introduced in 2007. The latest version was introduced in 2019.

The $199 iPod touch can send iMessages and place FaceTime calls in addition to playing music, but can’t place phone calls. Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Greg Joswiak said in a statement that “the spirit of iPod lives on” through its many other products that integrate music-playing features.

Apple said the iPod touch will be available while supplies last.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple discontinues the last iPod model
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 10, 2022 11:55AM
we have a last gen touch -- wish they would have made the iPhone 5 in the same case.

its also amazing how light it is compared to a phone.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 10, 2022 12:25PM
We still use an iPod Touch from the same generation as the iPhone 3DS (is that a second-gen one?) and its battery is mostly OK still. Gets used as an audio source for a portable speaker thru an old skool audio cable input. Yeah, wires for audio - crazy!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 10, 2022 01:17PM
We have two iPod Touches in the drawer keeping a big 40GB FW iPod company, alongside an iPhone 5S.
The AAPL Nostaligia Drawer.
==
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 10, 2022 01:28PM
RIP

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 10, 2022 01:48PM
Zune guy is vindicated!

iPod is a failure!

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 10, 2022 03:01PM
That's a little sad...
A friend of mine (who was building up to try triathalons before a tumor appeared in his liver...) said he really missed his iPod Touch from a few years ago. His phone is too heavy to carry while running.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: digby
Date: May 10, 2022 03:20PM
Just because Apple isn't selling iPods doesn't mean that they've all disappeared.

Paul F.
... His phone is too heavy to carry while running.

So why not just use an old iPod? I've got an iPod Nano 5th Generation (the one with a camera AND AN FM RADIO!). I like it so much, I check Craigslist for them and snatch them up when I can. I can load mine up using iTunes, and it's perfect for working around the yard, walking, biking... anywhere I don't want the weight of a phone.

They're so tiny and light, I've lost them in my pocket ("I know I put it in here... keys, change, pack of gum, oh, wait, that's the Nano!")

Here's a 16GB one for about $50:

[www.mercari.com]
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 10, 2022 03:32PM
digby
Just because Apple isn't selling iPods doesn't mean that they've all disappeared.

Paul F.
... His phone is too heavy to carry while running.

So why not just use an old iPod? I've got an iPod Nano 5th Generation (the one with a camera AND AN FM RADIO!). I like it so much, I check Craigslist for them and snatch them up when I can. I can load mine up using iTunes, and it's perfect for working around the yard, walking, biking... anywhere I don't want the weight of a phone.

They're so tiny and light, I've lost them in my pocket ("I know I put it in here... keys, change, pack of gum, oh, wait, that's the Nano!")

Here's a 16GB one for about $50:

[www.mercari.com]

That one doesn't charge and that's a real bugaboo with these 5th Gan Nanos. I have 2 and both charge but one's battery is mostly tolerable where the other's is very weak and you only get vaguely decent runtime right after taking it off the charger. High self-discharge in that lil' guy..

And have a look at the battery replacement procedure on a YT video for these. It'll put you right off even considering it.
Posted by: rz
Date: May 10, 2022 08:18PM
I can't find my little nano that I used to take walking with me. But I have one of the bigger ones that I got from someone here for the price of shipping a couple of years ago. Just took it to Japan with me a few months ago. I also have my first gen iPod Touch. The battery only lasts for about 45 minutes, but I used to have it hooked up to one of those speaker things that had the 30-pin connector on it and listen to music at work with it.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 10, 2022 09:41PM
During the iPod era, i discovered the SansaDisk player thingy, and became a devotee. It was pretty cool and weighed about as much as a quarter.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 11, 2022 08:04AM
Paul F.
That's a little sad...
A friend of mine (who was building up to try triathalons before a tumor appeared in his liver...) said he really missed his iPod Touch from a few years ago. His phone is too heavy to carry while running.

He should treat himself to a garmin watch if / when life circumstances warrant it.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 11, 2022 08:16AM
Those would be fine ideas... if he was ever going to go running again.
He's on "round 2" of Chemo, and the tumor is getting larger. He's got about a year.
Whether or not he can find a used iPod has become irrelevant while planning his death.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 11, 2022 08:37AM
I was wondering how long they were going to keep the Touch around. Apple hasn't updated the technology in it for years. Had they put in a better cameras and a better screen, I could see it used as an inexpensive video camera for when one needs to film something dangerous in which the camera could get destroyed. Or a video tool for a young beginning filmographer.

I still think they abandoned the Nano and especially the Shuttle way too early. Quite a few times when I was in the Apple store, I saw people buying 10-30 Shuffles at $49 a piece. Companies were buying these as gifts for their employees. I think the Shuffles were more popular than the other iPods, they probably just didn't have enough of a markup to keep Apple happy.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 11, 2022 09:31AM
....the Apple Store is already sold out [ even the refurb store ]....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: May 11, 2022 08:03PM
Just bought a new battery from iFixIt for my 4th gen Touch, along with an SD card adapter to add some serious storage capabilities!

4th gen 120 gig iPod sits happily cradled in a Klipsch iGroove providing a random stream of music in the living room.

We also have a number of shuffles, nanos, and minis that provide music on the go when size or weight are a consideration

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 154
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020