advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A new (to me) 43" monitor!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 10, 2022 02:45PM
I've been plugging along for a couple of years with a Vizio VA 40" TV as my work monitor. I've loved having all that space (on one writing project, it reduced the time needed by nearly 75%, because I could have six pages open simultaneously for cutting and pasting), but work has set up a partial "return to office" schedule, so I wanted to upgrade my home office and bring the old one to my workplace for the day or so per week I'll be there.

I've done a lot of research, and it came down to either one of the LG 43" monitors or the Sony X800H (the Dells are basically the same as the LGs, with slightly fewer features). The big problem I had with the Vizio was that the image quality fell off sharply towards the edge of the screen; that's common with VA panels. So I figured that an IPS panel, as in the LG or the Sony would be better. FYI, the Sony has the best edge-to-edge clarity of any non-OLED TV, according to rtings.com

The Sony X800H is discontinued, and almost never shows up on eBay or craigslist. There are basically two models of the LG, the older LG 43UD79-B, [www.lg.com] and the newer LG 43UN700B. The panels are nearly the same, as far as I can tell; the main differences are in the inputs.

So I picked up a 43UD79-B for just under $300 on eBay, and got it set up last night. This thing is great! The colors are richer, I've got excellent clarity edge to edge, corner to corner (probably helped by the 3 extra inches), and it's just a pleasure to use.

If you're in the market, I can highly recommend the LG!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2022 02:46PM by anonymouse1.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A new (to me) 43" monitor!
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 10, 2022 03:51PM
I second this emotion. I've been using the 43UD79-B as my daily driver for a number of years. Amazing real estate for someone who works on page layouts all day. Love it.

Posted by: tuqqer
Date: May 10, 2022 04:16PM
Man, give us pics. I'd like to see what a giant monitor looks like in use.

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Posted by: samintx
Date: May 10, 2022 04:38PM
Egan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 10, 2022 05:34PM
43" is almost perfect for seeing D-size drawings full size.

60" Vizio next to Dell 24". The browser window in the lower left is about 1800x1000.

The forum full screen.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 421
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020