advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Chromebook for web surfing, online banking, etc?
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 13, 2022 05:48PM
If you wanted a portable ONLY for online work like accessing bank and brokerage sites, checking Gmail from the web interface, etc., maybe a zoom meeting, would you think a 15” Chromebook would be a good choice?
Is printing from a Chromebook a pain?

I was thinking this one might be good, mainly because of the larger screen

[www.amazon.com]

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Chromebook for web surfing, online banking, etc?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 13, 2022 06:13PM
DuckDuckGo is working on a lot of privacy/no tracking stuff, and I think there is, or will be soon, Chrome options.

Load the DDG browser on your iPhone, and sign up for the betas. Only way to do it AFAIK.

You can easily expand the storage on a Chromebook with one of those tiny USB 3 thumb drives. I got a 64GB for my sweetie. Prime Day is coming up.....

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2022 06:16PM by Racer X.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 13, 2022 06:56PM
I don’t know the market for chrome books but they’re certainly good at what you describe

Date: May 13, 2022 08:09PM
I think I need to go somewhere I can try one out. Maybe Microcenter has some.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: May 13, 2022 08:13PM
FYI has Best Buy has the ASUS - 14.0" Chromebook - Intel Celeron N3350 - 4GB Memory - 32GB eMMC - Grey on sale for $129.
Date: May 13, 2022 08:30PM
Forrest
FYI has Best Buy has the ASUS - 14.0" Chromebook - Intel Celeron N3350 - 4GB Memory - 32GB eMMC - Grey on sale for $129.

Thanks. I could probably try it out there, too.
I’ll see what price Microcenter has also, as BB isn’t my favorite place. Lol

Posted by: Michael
Date: May 13, 2022 09:33PM
Clark Howard is a fan of a dedicated Chromebook for financial needs. He doesn't want people to use the same computer for financial needs and other computing. Here's what he says about having a financial Chromebook:

A Chromebook should only be used to access your bank or credit union accounts, those financial institutions’ online bill pay, and your brokerage or investment accounts. You may also use it to access the official credit bureau sites at Equifax, Experian and TransUnion, as well as pulling your free annual credit report at AnnualCreditReport.com.

and:

And you should never, ever, EVER use your Chromebook for any of the following purposes:
Surfing the web
Online shopping
E-mail access
Visiting Facebook, Twitter or any other social media platform

[clark.com]

I haven't done what he suggests. I use the same laptop for financial and other uses, but I also use 2FA at our primary investment site and a unique 14 letter/number/symbol password at the site. They also guarantee they will refund any monies lost through fraudulent activities so I feel pretty safe. But, I probably should get a financial Chromebook...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 13, 2022 10:11PM
Strikes me as overkill, although I can understand how it would be useful for naive users.

Make sure the chromebook works with a password manager.

Posted by: jdc
Date: May 13, 2022 10:29PM
Im sure it will work just not speedy. Wife has a 2018 iPad Pro for all of what you mentioned... but not made for typing, if that's a use you might see.

Sorry to thread hijack...

mattkime
Strikes me as overkill, although I can understand how it would be useful for naive users.

Make sure the chromebook works with a password manager.

100%. WTF is the point?

IMHO, and sorry to stereotype -- but when I hear this kind of thinking seems to only come from life long and life frustrated windows users. Every single time the computer goes "blip" straight to defense mode. Ive been hacked. Run malware, check virus software is up to date. Check drive health. Call the IT guy at work... on and on.

As a life long mac user... never. Maybe a reboot migHello there, be the most drastic.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 14, 2022 07:45AM
Clark can take things to an extreme.
He also used to take flights from Atl to Birmingham just to rack up mileage points for free airline trips.
He is a nice guy, but I will take his advice on this with a tiny grain of salt. He has made boat loads of money dispensing it though.
Clark is my late husband’s first cousin. smiling smiley

I probably should just decide which new Mac I need and get on with it and skip the Chromebook.
I am having more trouble than usual deciding what I want to do about this.
Thanks for putting up with all my questions and hesitations.

Posted by: jdc
Date: May 14, 2022 09:52AM
Well if you are lookign for one mac to do it all, wait for June and see if the M2 MBA comes out?

Technically, all standard M1s are the same speed... so MBA, mini and iMac perform the same.

So a nicely equipped MBA, could perform all the duties of that Chromebook, plus hook to a monitor and have the same performance as a mini. Of course its a smaller screen, and no touch screen, so would have to decide if those are important. Or if you want to stay all apple, mini + iPad. (my wifes setup)

So many choices.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2022 10:31AM by jdc.
Date: May 14, 2022 10:47AM
jdc
Well if you are lookign for one mac to do it all, wait for June and see if the M2 MBA comes out?

Technically, all standard M1s are the same speed... so MBA, mini and iMac perform the same.

So a nicely equipped MBA, could perform all the duties of that Chromebook, plus hook to a monitor and have the same performance as a mini. Of course its a smaller screen, and no touch screen, so would have to decide if those are important. Or if you want to stay all apple, mini + iPad. (my wifes setup)

So many choices.

Too many choices.
I was thinking about a MB Air. From what I have read, it will probably be later in the year for the upgrade, unless I buy one now, of course. Lol
I am out right now and think I may head over to the Microcenter and just poke around. grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Frank , JoeH , jonny , Z
Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020