advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Let's Build A Small House--Out Of Pallets
Posted by: jh
Date: May 14, 2022 12:40AM
He's from Ukraine and he has a YouTube channel showing his wilderness building skills.

He built the pallet house using a hammer/axe, nails, saw, and screwdriver. Full build start to finish video here.

Hope he is doing ok with the state of the current events going on right now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Let's Build A Small House--Out Of Pallets
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 14, 2022 09:59AM
Pallets are sometimes a wonderful source of quality wood. A neighbor wanted some planks for his shop and got a bunch of pallets. When he ran them through the planer, they turned out to be mahogany! Needless to say, those weren't used in his shop.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 14, 2022 12:06PM
Ombligo
Pallets are sometimes a wonderful source of quality wood. A neighbor wanted some planks for his shop and got a bunch of pallets. When he ran them through the planer, they turned out to be mahogany! Needless to say, those weren't used in his shop.

I used to work in a print shop, sheet paper came in on skids. Wood from skids could be even better that that from pallets, especially skids used for paper. The tops were made of smooth wood without spaces, the side runners underneath were usually 3-4" thick by about 8" lumber.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 14, 2022 02:13PM
JoeH
Ombligo

I used to work in a print shop, sheet paper came in on skids. Wood from skids could be even better that that from pallets, especially skids used for paper. The tops were made of smooth wood without spaces, the side runners underneath were usually 3-4" thick by about 8" lumber.
''

FYI (I had to look it up)

Posted by: btfc
Date: May 14, 2022 02:59PM
Years ago, Japanese motorcycles were sometimes shipped in crates made from exotic wood; I had a furniture maker friend who frequently took advantage of this.
Posted by: chopper
Date: May 14, 2022 05:07PM
In the 1960s and 1970s Honda shipped motorcycles in wooden crates from Japan. The wood was beautiful Japanese wood, hard to obtain over here it was always said.

Way too many pallets are made out of wood soaked in creosote here in the Midwest.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 14, 2022 10:32PM
JoeH
Ombligo

yes. I got a whole bunch of skids from a friend who works for a print shop. Side runners are 4x8 hardwood. Haven't figured out what wood, but I know it isn't birch or beech.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 15, 2022 12:56AM
Racer X
JoeH
Ombligo

yes. I got a whole bunch of skids from a friend who works for a print shop. Side runners are 4x8 hardwood. Haven't figured out what wood, but I know it isn't birch or beech.

Some we got into the shop back then used oak for the runners, some others were possibly elm. The nicest tops were 1 1/2" thick white pine, I also saw some southern yellow pine used.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 15, 2022 10:03AM
Little house on the pallets? (sorry)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020