advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
thermostat settings
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 16, 2022 04:08PM
Okay, we've had a few hot days in a row. I love it, but it means changing our Ecobee from Heat to Cool for the season. Yes, we tried Automatic, but we didn't like it. Onward.

I thought I was being conservative so made the following settings as our schedule when we first got the Ecobee.

Well, my wife definitely likes it cooler when sleeping (as do I), so she cranks that sucker down to 60 something. Then I adjust it back up to about 70 when I go to bed. I'd like to come to a good compromise so we don't have to keep adjusting.

Just curious as to what kind of settings the folks here on the forum use for seasonal settings. I guess I should remind everyone we're in MA, so it the temp can...shall we say...fluctuate,,,pretty regularly. Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: thermostat settings
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 16, 2022 04:15PM
>Then I adjust it back up to about 70 when I go to bed. I'd like to come to a good compromise so we don't have to keep adjusting.

Just say 'yes honey' :-)

Posted by: Microman
Date: May 16, 2022 04:39PM
We live in Southern California. And I might not even turn on AC (Cold), until we get a day that is at least above 85. So I do a lot of manual playing with Ecobee. And I also , don't use Automatic. It's Either on Heat or AC.

But here are my settings. But this will get me thinking about why I do so much manual adjustments.

Posted by: Diana
Date: May 16, 2022 04:44PM
I’m not familiar with the Ecobee. Is it more granular, or is the only option(s) as shown? Perhaps have it cool down more prior to her going to bed, and then an overnight temperature more like you want. It appears that it’s too warm for her to get to sleep comfortably…

Good luck with it.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 16, 2022 05:42PM
Where we live the temperature swings an easy 30 degrees between hi and low so the automatic setting works best for us. This time of year we heat up to 70 in the night and during the day we cool down to 74. As temperatures rise for summer I'll adjust up two degrees.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: rz
Date: May 16, 2022 05:45PM
We had an adjustable thermostat at our old house, but it had way too many problems, so we just set it and forgot it. New house has the old analog thermostats still... we should change them.

I live in FL, so AC is on about 9-10 months a year. I like it cool, but my wife does not. So AC is set to 78 degrees. We only use heat when it gets really cold, so the heat is set down to about 64.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 16, 2022 05:59PM
I usually set the thermostat for around 78-80 during the summer, or even higher when we get a spell of 105+ temps.

My cooling bill would be hundreds of dollars per month if I set my thermostat to 60 during the summer. Or more...
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 16, 2022 06:04PM
“ she cranks that sucker down to 60 something. Then I adjust it back up to about 70 “

Schedule it to turn down to 70 earlier, so it has taken full effect when she’s going to bed.

Then adjust from there. smiling smiley
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 16, 2022 07:01PM
Thank you all for your thoughts. I suspect we'll be playing with it a bit as we experiment.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 16, 2022 07:29PM
btfc
“ she cranks that sucker down to 60 something. Then I adjust it back up to about 70 “

Schedule it to turn down to 70 earlier, so it has taken full effect when she’s going to bed.

Then adjust from there. smiling smiley

Some people don't understand that a thermostat is NOT like a throttle on a car or boat.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020