The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Drugs for Colonoscopy
Posted by: Randalls
Date: May 17, 2022 04:57PM
Poll
Type of anesthesia recommended
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
37 votes were received.
Go big or go home - in hospital Profocol for lights out 19

51%
Medium sedation - outpatient for conscious communication 14

38%
Light or NO sedation - for the masochists among us 4

11%

Just got a call for my scheduled outpatient colorectal cancer exam next week. They are understaffed for anesthesiologists so I have an option to reschedule for an in hospital exam using profocol applied by an anesthesiologist to put my lights out or I can keep the original appointment and go for “medium” sedation where I will be semi-responsive and be able to communicate with the gastrointestinal doctor during the exam (and apparently not remember the interaction). Both procedures have their ups and downs.

Also wondering if Medicare would pay for the hospital/profocol.

Advice appreciated
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Drugs for Colonoscopy
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 17, 2022 05:01PM
I had "light" sedation last December for this procedure.

I could not communicate with the doctor.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 17, 2022 05:08PM
....didn't know they give options.....someone I know got totally knocked out.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 17, 2022 05:09PM
The nurse said a medium or light drug application should make it possible to answer questions or flag discomfort so my reading says this is good for a more thorough exam and less likelihood of a tear or perf. Kind of leaning that way. We have this type of cancer in our family.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 17, 2022 05:13PM
I did the medium amount of the good stuff.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 17, 2022 05:19PM
Medium worked for me.
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 17, 2022 05:25PM
They always referred to my sedation as "twilight", and I don't think the intent was to be conscious but I do remember waking up and seeing the action on the TV screen as the doctor did his work.

And mine was always in a hospital building, but as an outpatient.

My last one was a year before I started Medicare, so no experience with the coverage, the the always seem to be very in-tune with getting whatever pre-approvals needed before you show up. I needed to get a PCR Covid test shortly before my appointment (first year of the pandemic).

AND... the prep is by far the worst part of the whole thing, once you're on the table it's smooth sailing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2022 05:27PM by GGD.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 17, 2022 05:34PM
I think mine was supposed to have been medium, but I zonked completely.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 17, 2022 05:36PM
out cold last time. I'll be doing a poop test this time.

!#$@@$#!

Date: May 17, 2022 05:38PM
....have only had semi;colonscopy....

Posted by: rz
Date: May 17, 2022 05:48PM
GGD
AND... the prep is by far the worst part of the whole thing, once you're on the table it's smooth sailing.

AMEN!!! I think I had twilight for my last one, but I think I zonked out. I remember talking with the people before the procedure, and then next thing I know, it's over. Click below for slightly graphic description

Worst thing for me though was that I had to pay for the colonoscopy. Because it was medically necessary, my insurance didn't cover it. How effed up is that? If it had been "routine", it would have been covered.
Posted by: jardster
Date: May 17, 2022 05:50PM
Mine was also medium. Heavy enough that I don't remember the procedure.

Light enough that I can remember most of what my doctor told me in the room after when she told me I had colon CA. It was also during Covid, so my wife couldn't be there when they told me.

Whatever you do, GET IT DONE!

Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 17, 2022 05:54PM
everyone reacts differently. my partner got medium, and we were about 5 minutes away from her being admitted overnight because she couldn't shake the effects. We were there until about 8pm. seriously.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 17, 2022 06:10PM
Light or medium, I don't remember, but it was lights out for me, a very pleasant nap.

Woke up in recovery, and was walking out in less than 30min.

Actually, they told me it would be light or medium, I don't remember, and not full on lights out.

I'd have had to demand full anesthetization, and it just didn't seem necessary.

And it wasn't.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 17, 2022 06:11PM
Since a family member died of Colon Cancer, my doc kept an CLOSE eye on me for years. It's been over three years since my last "scope" (I have an appointment with a new doc later this week) The prep is SO much better than it was 20 years ago and, I have NO trouble with anesthesia. I see NO reason you'd need to be conscious during the procedure (although I did "come to" during my first time; they just pushed in a little more "juice"). A few times, a few polyps were discovered, removed and biopsied so, as far as I'm concerned, a TRUE colonoscopy is THE way to go (instead of virtual). I've also been able to get the "top end" done at the same time which is nice. Once and done for years! old fogey smiley
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: May 17, 2022 06:24PM
One notable flaw in the system is that the doctor comes to discuss the results of the procedure with you when you’re still recovering from the sedation. Your chances of grasping any nuances in the results are virtually nil, so you’d better hope whoever accompanied you to the procedure (and is driving you home) was paying close attention to the doc’s remarks.

Date: May 17, 2022 07:10PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
One notable flaw in the system is that the doctor comes to discuss the results of the procedure with you when you’re still recovering from the sedation. Your chances of grasping any nuances in the results are virtually nil, so you’d better hope whoever accompanied you to the procedure (and is driving you home) was paying close attention to the doc’s remarks.

I was just about to write exactly this. Make certain the doctor puts it in writing
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 17, 2022 08:15PM
My last two, and my only two, were without any anesthesia. I had to drive myself home so I went without. For the first one, the surgeon went pretty far up. I think I could see light at the end of the tunnel - almost. I grunted every time he gave a shove but otherwise it was no problem and no polyps. The second one only went in a couple of feet or so and it elicited no grunts but he did excise a few precancerous polyps. I preferred the first because he was very thorough but unfortunately he has moved out of state.

The cleanout was also more thorough the first time and it was noticeable on the big screen TV used for the second one. Just a little CRT was used for the first one but at least it was in color.

I don’t know why it takes a surgeon and three other people (nurses?) to do the job. I know they weren’t there to only watch although in the first one there was a young lovely who could give me a colonoscopy anytime.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: May 17, 2022 08:21PM
Speedy
I grunted every time he gave a shove

You should have made sounds as if it was pleasurable.
Date: May 17, 2022 08:31PM
....the grunting does indicate pleasure.....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2022 08:32PM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: May 17, 2022 08:36PM
OK. It all makes sense. My wife will be with me so she can take notes. I think I will keep the appointment and go for the conscience sedation. Thanks for the info everyone. I will let you know how it comes out in the end (sorry about that one-bummer).
Date: May 17, 2022 08:37PM
.....bottoms up....!!

Date: May 17, 2022 08:43PM
it's probably low dose propofol, AKA milk of amnesia. You really won't remember it, nor will you care.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 17, 2022 08:46PM
Mine was twilight… I have no memory of it. The scopes are getting smaller and smaller these days, which is a good thing. Never liked playing hand puppet. (I tell my doctor that and it always makes him laugh)
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 17, 2022 09:58PM
My two were midazolam (Versed) based. It might as well been a hammer to the head - wasn’t aware of a thing until I woke up, although I guess I would have had a headache with a hammer.

Out of curiousity, for my second time round I actively concentrated on staying conscious after they injected. I remember the room spinning for maybe ten seconds, and the next thing I remembed was them telling my wife in recovery “he should be waking up soon”.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 17, 2022 10:57PM
my first one i was awake and feeling no pain. remember it all.

the last one a few years ago the tech said I would have the best sleep of my life. i thought he was kidding but when they woke me up, WHOA! I felt great! Seriously wanted to take some of that @#$%& home with me.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 17, 2022 10:57PM
cbelt3
Mine was twilight… I have no memory of it. The scopes are getting smaller and smaller these days, which is a good thing. Never liked playing hand puppet. (I tell my doctor that and it always makes him laugh)

The scopes may be getting smaller but the operator still has to inject air in order to inflate your colon which is the painful part.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: May 18, 2022 02:01AM
Apart from the initial discomfort at the very beginning of the procedure I personally found the whole thing fascinating! They angled the screen so I could see all that was going on and they explained what was happening. At one point they pointed at a right angle and said there might be a little discomfort as it tried to make the turn but it was fine. No drugs, no pain, a certain amount of embarrassment at the beginning but overall it was fine.

The interesting thing was that at the end of it all the doctor said they could not see any sign of cancer or other problems. This was a surprise as I thought they were only checking how some internal piles had been eliminated but they said that while they were in there they might as well go deeper and check out everything else. Very reassuring.

Paul
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 18, 2022 06:18AM
Just had mine a few weeks ago. The preadmissions person didn't mention any options but I guess if I asked, there would be. She said I would be getting the "Michael Jackson" drug.

So I was knocked the @#$%& out. But it wasn't technically the hospital. I guess. We have a GI center across from the hospital where they do all these procedures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2022 06:20AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: STL
Date: May 18, 2022 07:06AM
One And Done.
Lights Out. Lights On. In A Blink.
No Recall Of Lights Out Activity.
Date: May 18, 2022 07:16AM
....so like a trip to.....Vegas.....??

Posted by: mspace
Date: May 18, 2022 08:12AM
First was medium. I got to watch it on the screen. Fun! (Did not like coming off of the drugs, though. If doing again, I'll know what to expect.)

Second was full out. (I was surprised at that.) It was weird being done up as though it was this big surgical procedure, for something so innocuous and common. It was too much. Felt like overkill.

Given a choice, I would pick medium.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 18, 2022 10:02AM
Both of mine were conscious sedation, but I don't remember anything from either one until I was in recovery. The other patients there were very chatty and repeating themselves. I commented on that to my wife--as she tells it--many times.

Date: May 18, 2022 10:20AM
bazookaman
Just had mine a few weeks ago. The preadmissions person didn't mention any options but I guess if I asked, there would be. She said I would be getting the "Michael Jackson" drug.

Yes, the tech told me it was the "Michael Jackson" drug. Put a whole new layer of understanding why Jackson sought to use it so often. If I had the money and the means I could see it being a strong siren song.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 18, 2022 10:49AM
STL

That's when the UFO aliens do the anal probing.
Date: May 18, 2022 10:53AM
graylocks
bazookaman

Yes, the tech told me it was the "Michael Jackson" drug. Put a whole new layer of understanding why Jackson sought to use it so often. If I had the money and the means I could see it being a strong siren song.

my feeling upon hearing that would be something like, "holy crap, is that how he died?!!?"
Date: May 18, 2022 11:37AM
GGD
STL

That's when the UFO aliens do the anal probing.

[www.youtube.com]
Date: May 18, 2022 11:50AM
.......colo......rectal.....

Date: May 18, 2022 01:58PM
mrbigstuff

my feeling upon hearing that would be something like, "holy crap, is that how he died?!!?"

i think most people are aware that abusing that drug was the cause of Jackson's death. or rather, his personal physician's permissiveness in repeatedly administering the drug to Jackson was the cause of death.

Posted by: Michael
Date: May 18, 2022 03:19PM
Randalls
Also wondering if Medicare would pay for the hospital/profocol.

Advice appreciated

Our Medicare Advantage payed for my wife's hospital/profocol colonoscopy with no co-pays. Mine was in an associated treatment center and also paid for.

When I last had one, I did the medium thing. My wife told me that after it was over and she was in the recovery room with me I started talking about faculty members in my department. Apparently I wouldn't stop and she had to ask a couple of the nurses to step out because she was afraid of what I might say. The nurses would have known the faculty members because they knew me from the college. My wife found the whole thing to be very amusing-apparently I'd answer any question she'd ask. The questions/answers must have been ok because were still married!
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 18, 2022 08:25PM
My sister-in-law was saying not long ago that she really looks forward to her colonoscopy for this very reason, best sleep ever. I thought it was just her, she can be a little weird about things, but I guess she wasn’t kidding. Lol.

graylocks
my first one i was awake and feeling no pain. remember it all.

the last one a few years ago the tech said I would have the best sleep of my life. i thought he was kidding but when they woke me up, WHOA! I felt great! Seriously wanted to take some of that @#$%& home with me.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: May 18, 2022 09:15PM
The nurse called today to confirm my registration and that I will actually be showing up for the procedure. I asked her what the “medium” drug entailed and she said it would be a mix of Versed and Demerol. I told her I blanked on the last inspection, waking to ask “How did it go?” several times to my wife or any unfortunate nurse or doctor that stuck their head in the door. The nurse said that sounds like the reaction for the above mix. A different medical team had done my first one about 7 years ago and she said their records did not show the drugs used to whack me.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: May 18, 2022 10:08PM
I’d trust my doctor’s recommendation, but I definitely wouldn’t want to reschedule.
You’ll do fine… good luck!
Date: May 20, 2022 08:26AM
Thanks. No reschedule but now they called and said they have switched my appointment from the outpatient location in the professional building (attached to the hospital) and said procedure will now be done in the hospital so enter through the main door and go to the endo department.

One of my decision points was to stay out of the main building (for possibly higher “infection” rates). The scheduler could not answer why they changed it. I wonder if it was a monetary decision so they could switch back to the team that includes the anesthesiologist and the full ride using profocol (making them more $$$$), or if they are actually concerned about monitoring me, or if I will still get the “medium” dose and they just wanted to fill the space.

I do not trust the corporate entities that be but know it has to be done.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020