advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can 10-year smoke alarms be refurbed with a new battery when ten years is up?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 19, 2022 02:36PM
Or is the battery sealed? Do they sell ten year batteries for this?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can 10-year smoke alarms be refurbed with a new battery when ten years is up?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 19, 2022 02:45PM
In my experience they are sealed, and in fact there is no easy way to disarm one in the event that one is sounding the alarm. A hammer was the best option in my case.
Re: Can 10-year smoke alarms be refurbed with a new battery when ten years is up?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: May 19, 2022 02:46PM
I heard, no confirmation, that the sensor is considered no longer functional at that time frame, so-No
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 19, 2022 02:49PM
I think the radioisotope in the sensor is no longer strong enough, but I may be misremembering.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 19, 2022 02:49PM
As I said in the battery thread, I have had those poop out long before ten years, with the thing beeping, indicating a dead battery. The only option to get it to stop beeping is to pull the little switch to disable it, thereby making it junk.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 19, 2022 02:51PM
....its like taking 'holey' underwear and refurbishing it as 'new'....can't be done....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 19, 2022 02:55PM
Dennis,

I wouldn't even if it was feasible. No guarantee it'd work properly and it'd most certainly wouldn't be covered under warranty. I'd be inclined to say in the event of a claim, an insurance company would use a DYI refurbed smoke alarm as a reason for denying it. I'd just spend the bucks for a replacement and call it done.

Robert
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 19, 2022 03:01PM
Robert M
Dennis,

I wouldn't even if it was feasible. No guarantee it'd work properly and it'd most certainly wouldn't be covered under warranty. I'd be inclined to say in the event of a claim, an insurance company would use a DYI refurbed smoke alarm as a reason for denying it. I'd just spend the bucks for a replacement and call it done.

Robert

This is the right answer.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 19, 2022 03:13PM
OK. These things have radioactive americum as a component of the sensor. It is a radioactive isotope, and has lost its effectiveness at 10 years.

Recycle it properly, buy a new one, and get on with your life, safely.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2022 03:18PM by Racer X.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 19, 2022 03:46PM
not worth it to be cheap with safety devices.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 19, 2022 05:49PM
Easy, boys.

I don't know that Dennis is keen or was sold on refurbing the alarm, but wondering if the battery could be replaced certainly seems like a good idea, without the additional information.

How often do you guys replace the cheap, 9V battery detectors?

Other than changing batteries, this is the most attention I've paid to them.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 19, 2022 06:04PM
Racer X
OK. These things have radioactive americum as a component of the sensor. It is a radioactive isotope, and has lost its effectiveness at 10 years.

Recycle it properly, buy a new one, and get on with your life, safely.

Smoke detectors based on an ionization detector use a radiation source, photoelectric detectors do not. The first type should be recycled through the manufacturer or other recycler licensed to handle them.
Date: May 19, 2022 06:08PM
RAMd®d
Easy, boys.

I don't know that Dennis is keen or was sold on refurbing the alarm, but wondering if the battery could be replaced certainly seems like a good idea, without the additional information.

How often do you guys replace the cheap, 9V battery detectors?

Other than changing batteries, this is the most attention I've paid to them.

Thank you. I have no experience with this and didn’t want to be a chump and throw away a perfectly good alarm and find out later all you have to do is plug in a new ten-year 9V battery and you’re ready to go. (They do it with cars, you know.) and they do make ten-year 9V batteries.
Date: May 19, 2022 06:21PM
and, for the record, I replace my smoke detectors every 10 years, and our CO alarms when the batteries die.

And have 2 fire extinguishers in the house, 1 per kitchen, and one huge ABC in each garage, and a big CO2 in the outside garage as well. I have a guy who services them for free.

Safety is dirt cheap compared to the alternative.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: gadje
Date: May 19, 2022 07:29PM
these are inexpensive life saving devices.

Don't screw this up.
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 19, 2022 07:30PM
The National Fire Protection Assn recommends replacement every 10 years. Apparently there's a 30% chance of failure at that point. Seems to me that we should be replacing them earlier if that statistic is correct. They say to check them monthly to be sure it works. But, I wonder if testing them checks all of the aspects of their operation.

[www.brkelectronics.com]
Date: May 19, 2022 07:51PM
Michael
The National Fire Protection Assn recommends replacement every 10 years. Apparently there's a 30% chance of failure at that point. Seems to me that we should be replacing them earlier if that statistic is correct. They say to check them monthly to be sure it works. But, I wonder if testing them checks all of the aspects of their operation.

[www.brkelectronics.com]

smoking match. easy peasy

our cooking sets the upstairs ones off often enough that I consider that a test. Really doesn't take much smoke at all either.

[www.youtube.com]
Date: May 19, 2022 08:06PM
Mine were made in 2017 so I have a way to go.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 20, 2022 05:50AM
Look at the backside of the detectors. Ionization type typically have an expiration date on them.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: May 21, 2022 01:37AM
On a slightly different tangent, a fire fighter teaching a CERT class to us, recommended replacing a home fire extinguisher every ten years even if the gauge showed full. And that you have two fire extinguisher wuishers at each spot. Noting that failure rate for them was like 30%.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020