advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
who is VERY happy with their ceiling fan?
Posted by: robfilms
Date: May 19, 2022 10:21PM
i am looking to install three ceiling fans in our four bedroom apartment

i am seeking a slightly modern look.

the ceiling fam needs a decent light.

i would like something fairly quiet.

i am torn between using just a remote or installing a dimmer to use with a remote (i have read various reviews suggesting that a wall dimmer often adds a low grade hum to the noise of the fan.

wirecutter had a suggestion:
[www.nytimes.com]

but that specific model is discontinued.

this appears to be the current model:
[www.amazon.com]

this from honeywell is also suggested in other online reviews:
[www.amazon.com]

i read that hunter was a good brand but have not seen a model i like that has gotten decent reviews.

lastly, as for the light source, there has been a move away from bulbs and towards COB (chip on board) lights.

dare i trust that the chips will always work?

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

thumbs up.

rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2022 10:23PM by robfilms.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: who is VERY happy with their ceiling fan?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 19, 2022 11:13PM
we have 2 55" hunters, about 10 and 15 yo, respectively.
they have been very good.
They both came with CFL circlines. I changed one to a LED that is much brighter than the OEM.
Dunno about a dimmer.
The newer hunters (and maybe others as well) are much better designed in that 1 person can easily install them.
CostCo has a couple on sale if you're connected.
If you do, they collect dust like mad.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 19, 2022 11:35PM
Big fan of (all sizes of) Casablanca Fans....

They have many that fit your description perfectly.

We have this (now discontinued) model....
(though our maple blades have darkened over time)

The nice thing about Casablanca is that most of their fans are offered in a bunch of colors and finishes
for both the fan/housing and the blades, so you can mix and match to your heart's content to get the perfect
ambience in every room.... while still having the same fan in each room; meaning no jealousy amongst the rooms.

Casablanca was a SoCal company for quite awhile, and was maintained as a separate entity here, even after
Hunter Fans acquired it in the mid 1990's. About a dozen years, or so, ago Hunter folded the SoCal Casablanca
operation into their main Hunter digs back in Elvis country. Casablanca always had a major presence at the
L.A. County Fairgrounds in Pomona, so that's where their exceptional fans imprinted on my psyche year
after year, starting in the 1970's. Seems like now that they're in house at Hunter, they're Hunter's "luxury" division.
They've always had lots of great features that most other ceiling fans only dreamed of.... not sure which of them
may have made it into Hunter's other model lines, or if their level of quality has been maintain since moving
east to Graceland adjacent, but odds are good they'll have something you'll like....
Good luck.

==
Posted by: gadje
Date: May 20, 2022 02:32AM
I don't recall where I saw Big Ass Fan brand but it stuck in my mind.

[bigassfans.com]

I don't have one, so I can't offer advice.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 20, 2022 06:25AM
“they collect dust like mad.”

Thus making them much less efficient.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: d4
Date: May 20, 2022 06:55AM
Dimmer speed function is an unnecessary complication. Most fans have 3+ speed settings. I'm sure you'll find one that works for you. For most people the most important feature is quietness.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 20, 2022 06:55AM
Speedy
“they collect dust like mad.”

Thus making them much less efficient.
So you dust them with a flexible duster head and a long pole. We clean ours off every few months. (OK, the kids clean theirs once a year..)
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 20, 2022 07:12AM
Rob,

I've had excellent experience with Monte Carlo Fans. The ones installed in my previous apartment in '08/'09 work very well and have been 100% trouble-free. I know they're still doing well since the unit is next door to my current apartment and I've seen them in operation. The current owner is happy with them. Have Monte Carlo models in my current apartment. Installed in 2012. 100% trouble-free.

<[forums.macresource.com];

Choosing the correct fan and an appropriate light kit for the look and the space and you'll be very happy be it with a Monte Carlo combination or one from one of the other reputable manufacturers. Proper installation is a must. I don't consider it a DYI job. Let a reputable electrician do it.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2022 07:13AM by Robert M.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 20, 2022 07:28AM
Are there already ceiling fans there? If not, are the electrical boxes intended for ceiling fans? You can't (or shouldn't) just replace a ceiling light with a ceiling fan.
Posted by: clay
Date: May 20, 2022 07:31AM
I installed a Minka Aire [www.minkagroup.net] fan in our last house to replace a big box store ceiling fan that died. The minka was super quiet, moved a ton of air and had a nice appearance. I recommended a similar one for my parents, and they've been happy with it as well.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 20, 2022 07:46AM
I don't have advice on the specific fan but I do have some install tips

- if you're placing a fan where there was once just a light, you want to make sure the work box is rated to hold a fan. If its not then you should replace the work box.

- DC and AC fan motors are controlled differently. DC fans are more efficient and quieter so they're probably what you want BUT they don't work with wall dimmer style fan controls. Thats why they always come with remotes.

- If you have an existing in wall AC fan control you may need to remove it.

Posted by: Mactel
Date: May 20, 2022 10:44AM
I have 3 Hunter fans that I am happy with. They all support HomeKit and I find it really convenient to be able to control them with the Home app or Siri.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: May 20, 2022 11:04AM
macphanatic
Are there already ceiling fans there? If not, are the electrical boxes intended for ceiling fans? You can't (or shouldn't) just replace a ceiling light with a ceiling fan.

2 X 6 between the joists I can swing from.

I like the 52 inch for $50.00 the best.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 20, 2022 12:31PM
The Big Ass Fan's and Minka Aire fans are excellent recs. Big Ass moves serious air and is generally too big for anything but the hugest of bedrooms. Minka's are quieter, and are really nice; and if you like their styling, that's a bonus. Personally I find their styling to be too sleek, modern and industrial looking for many applications. Still, damn excellent fans, especially if the space can be complimented with their styles.

....and if you click on Robert M's link from the older thread he pointed to, take note of their first choice; I found it had a very familiar ring. cool smiley
==
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 20, 2022 02:01PM
I have two Hunters from the 80’s or 90’s that have never given a minute’s trouble and are still quiet as when they were brand new.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 22, 2022 12:39PM
I installed some Hunters for my inlays about 20 years ago. Fans working fine.

After 10 years the particle board blades were sagging from heat and humidity. I replaced them with some aftermarket plastic ones.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: robfilms
Date: May 22, 2022 02:41PM
as a followup, we asked our electrician about the reiga 52" ceiling fan.

[www.amazon.com]

it has a DC motor, very high quiet rating from Amazon purchasers, has a high enough CFM rating and a bright, dimmable LCD light.

the biggest negative was a confusing install sheet.

i sent the electrician two YouTube vids where folks install this specific model which, if he watches, should be helpful.

i am awaiting the electrician's thoughts.

90 degrees here in NYC!

stay cool.

rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2022 02:42PM by robfilms.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 66
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020