advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
biking - walking
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 30, 2007 05:15PM
is there a site that will compare fitness and or energy equivalents of different exercises? biking walking, jogging, running, skiing, blah, blah, blah.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: biking - walking
Posted by: Bixby
Date: March 30, 2007 05:28PM
Google is your friend:

Tailored:

[www.nutritiondata.com]

General:

[www.nutristrategy.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: March 30, 2007 05:39PM
Those sites may be very precise, but I think the numbers are misleading. It is common knowledge that the direct caloric consumption from exercise (unless you're regularly doing 100 mile rides or marathons) is pitifully small and will not contribute in any significant way to weight loss. However, the static metabolism for muscle consumes a lot of calories in comparison to fat (i.e. muscle requires a lot of energy just to keep alive). That is why people who develop a higher fraction of muscle mass (through exercise) get thinner.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: March 30, 2007 05:40PM
The harder it is to do, the more fit you'll be once you're done.
Date: March 30, 2007 05:42PM
Oh yeah, and what Seacrest said.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 30, 2007 05:47PM
close enough for my purposes

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: dotman
Date: March 30, 2007 06:10PM
i walk to work. I fill my tank maybe once every three months.

dot.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 30, 2007 06:26PM
>>It is common knowledge that the direct caloric consumption from exercise (unless you're regularly doing 100 mile rides or marathons) is pitifully small and will not contribute in any significant way to weight loss.

I wouldn't be so negative about it. Exercise has a lot of benefits aside from increased calorie consumption.

Posted by: iaJim
Date: March 30, 2007 06:30PM
Seems to me that I read that a mile of biking and a mile of walking and a mile of running are all pretty much equivalent. I'm pretty sure about the walking/running part. The thing is that you can run more miles in a given time than you can walk, therefore maximizing your benefit per hour by running.
Date: March 30, 2007 06:47PM
on the above linked site:

biking 10mph - 518cph for my wt
walking 4mph - 345cph for my wt

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: the_poochies
Date: March 30, 2007 09:11PM
If you sign up, you can track your progress in the form of steps:

[aom.americaonthemove.org]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 30, 2007 09:38PM
also, weight lifting usually gets short shrift, but is great anaerobic exercise and can really get the heart pumping, too. it's great in combination with walking and bike riding. i can't run any longer due to my back, so the above is my preferred exercise.

(now don't ask me how often I practie what I preach)
Date: March 30, 2007 09:39PM
mattkime
>>It is common knowledge that the direct caloric consumption from exercise (unless you're regularly doing 100 mile rides or marathons) is pitifully small and will not contribute in any significant way to weight loss.

I wouldn't be so negative about it. Exercise has a lot of benefits aside from increased calorie consumption.

What, you only read the first sentence of my post?

I was trying to point out that the tables linked by bixby don't really help when it comes to fitness because they are focused on activity-related calorie consumption. I wanted to point out the common fallacy that non-muscle-building exercise (e.g. walking, slow-bike riding, etc) will result in significant weight through calorie consumption, and that generation of muscle tissue (for weight loss, strength and biomechanics) should really be the aim of an exercise program

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2007 09:45PM by davester.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 31, 2007 01:45AM
>>I wanted to point out the common fallacy that non-muscle-building exercise (e.g. walking, slow-bike riding, etc)

Oh, sorry, i totally agree that low impact, low exertion exercise does little but your first statement was extremely general. I'm not doing 100 mile bike rides or running marathons but my 13 miles/day of bike commuting (no dieting) has been plenty to reduce the amount of flab on my body.

Posted by: billb
Date: March 31, 2007 10:22AM
Walking beats sitting on the couch eating potato chips, exercising nothing but the eyes and jaw.
Posted by: landlox
Date: March 31, 2007 08:05PM
YES. Walking beats sitting on a couch.

I hate running. I love walking. So I walk.
I don't walk fast, either. I do it for fun, not 'excercize'.

But I am always amused that there are always people who are amazed when I mentioned I took a nice 8 mile walk the other day. People react like its as if I climbed Everest even though they drive to a gym and put in a few hours per week on a treadmill.

'lox
Posted by: billb
Date: April 02, 2007 12:43PM
To expound:
Walking is actually a very good exercise regimin.
Probably more so as many get older and extreme strenuous exercise is too much.

It's something everyone should be doing every day for their hearts and circulatory system.
A few hills are a plus.

Didn't want to sound as though walking was better than nothing. It's actually quite a bit better than nothing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020