advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I have an idea for a new forum rule...
Posted by: davester
Date: May 28, 2022 01:03PM
No more than two new topics per person per day.

Just look at the ridiculous mess below. Those with the highest volume of vacuous threads (most of which are blind links with no discussion) are crowding everybody else out. Isn't this supposed to be a "discussion forum".

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2022 01:05PM by davester.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I have an idea for a new forum rule...
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: May 28, 2022 01:07PM
I think that a two-post limit is draconian.

But I would not be averse to treating "blasts" of many new posts of dubious value as a violation of the TOS.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 28, 2022 01:22PM
popcorn smiley

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 28, 2022 01:31PM
Tiangou
I think that a two-post limit is draconian.

But I would not be averse to treating "blasts" of many new posts of dubious value as a violation of the TOS.

I'd be OK with five (total for both sides of the forum). Also, how about a ban on posting blind links with no other content, which is just plain rude IMHO.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2022 01:32PM by davester.
Posted by: polychrome
Add more sub-forums. There needs to be an Apple and tech specific one. Then add a TV Guide/Movies forum and another for non Tips and Deals. Or add filters. The separate political forum was a good idea.
Posted by: chopper
I'm all for it.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 28, 2022 01:32PM
polychrome
Add more sub-forums. There needs to be an Apple and tech specific one. Then add a TV Guide/Movies forum and another for non Tips and Deals. Or add filters. The separate political forum was a good idea.

Adding multiple sub-forums on the old DealMac forum is why this forum exists in the first place.

Posted by: MikeF
Date: May 28, 2022 01:35PM
Maybe limit the number of buttocks topics per day?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 28, 2022 01:38PM
Adding sub forums would make those forum progressions look incredibly slow.

My personal philosophy I try to adhere to: If I don't like the topic or disagree with the author, I don't click on it and move on with my day. Things happen in waves. Enjoy the weekend and life.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: polychrome
Date: May 28, 2022 01:41PM
Thanks for the reminder. I don’t recall why this one was created. Dealmac was so long ago.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: May 28, 2022 01:42PM
pRICE cUBE
My personal philosophy I try to adhere to: If I don't like the topic or disagree with the author, I don't click on it and move on with my day. Things happen in waves. Enjoy the weekend and life.

Yes, this is the better plan.

Date: May 28, 2022 01:54PM
I can post just as much as anyone else here. And will. Another member here posts 20-30 posts/links a day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2022 01:58PM by chopper.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 28, 2022 02:04PM
I get the impetus for this.

A forum page displays 50 posts; a new post pushes the oldest of those 50 to a page of the next older 50.
If one member continuously posts 25% or more of the most recent 50, other members’ posts are quickly, and IMHO prematurely, bumped off the first page of viewing onto a page of not-really “older” posts.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: May 28, 2022 02:07PM
Someone got to the chopper.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 28, 2022 02:16PM
the easiest thing to do is to shut the forum down - the problems go away. making more rules is not the easy way to go...
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 28, 2022 02:27PM
hal
the easiest thing to do is to shut the forum down - the problems go away. making more rules is not the easy way to go...

Yes. I rarely make new posts but when I do, it's usually something stupid. I appreciate the tolerance.
Date: May 28, 2022 02:44PM
DeusxMac

A forum page displays 50 posts; a new post pushes the oldest of those 50 to a page of the next older 50.
If one member continuously posts 25% or more of the most recent 50, other members’ posts are quickly, and IMHO prematurely, bumped off the first page of viewing onto a page of not-really “older” posts.

I find that most subjects don't see new posts after 36 hours. Pushing things along to keep topics fresh may be more beneficial to me than subjects persisting that receive no additional responses. I don't click on every subject. My observations is that most topics are on the front page for almost 48 hours before moving to page 2.

Personally, I am relieved when some of my dud topic threads get moved off the front page.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: May 28, 2022 03:14PM
<<A forum page displays 50 posts; a new post pushes the oldest of those 50 to a page of the next older 50.
If one member continuously posts 25% or more of the most recent 50, other members’ posts are quickly, and IMHO prematurely, bumped off the first page of viewing onto a page of not-really “older” posts.>>

Did this just become apparent to you today? This has been going on for years.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 28, 2022 03:44PM
chopper
<<A forum page displays 50 posts; a new post pushes the oldest of those 50 to a page of the next older 50.
If one member continuously posts 25% or more of the most recent 50, other members’ posts are quickly, and IMHO prematurely, bumped off the first page of viewing onto a page of not-really “older” posts.>>

Did this just become apparent to you today? This has been going on for years.

No, I’ve commented on it previously*. It persists.

*Over a decade ago; just checked.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: May 28, 2022 03:52PM
three is a feature called follow this topic. If it issue important to you use it .
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 28, 2022 03:55PM
popcorn smiley

free beer and weed.

!#$@@$#!

Date: May 28, 2022 04:16PM
None of anyone’s posting behavior has violated the TOS. Take a walk, have a nice dinner, chillax, enjoy the long weekend. Time and life are too precious to worry about online activities.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 28, 2022 04:19PM
It's fine as it is, I'm getting my money's worth.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 28, 2022 04:38PM

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Date: May 28, 2022 05:38PM
<<<No, I’ve commented on it previously*. It persists.

*Over a decade ago; just checked. >>

Yeah. And it gets more aggravating by the day.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 28, 2022 05:55PM
Two topics? And who gets paid to sit here all day waiting for anyone to post a third topic.

Maybe perhaps if enough posts are made that everyone can notice it, maybe perhaps that might be a rule. But as it is, I just scroll down until I see something interesting and until this thread I hadn't even noticed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2022 05:56PM by $tevie.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 28, 2022 06:03PM
PS: I've been amused for years to realize that I am the only forum member who ever clicks to page 2.

Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: May 28, 2022 06:35PM
I have sometimes wished that there was a button next to a thread that said "Hide This Thread", so that it doesn't show up in my future scans of the pages. If my eyes have gone over threads that I don't want to see again, would like to not have to scan over them twice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2022 06:48PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 28, 2022 06:47PM
SKYLANE
I have often wished there was a button next to a thread that said "Do Not Show This Thread", so that it doesn't show up in my future scans of the pages. If my eyes have gone over threads that I don't want to see again, would like to not have to scan over it twice.

It would also be handy if when a user who is on Ignore posted to a thread, it didn't show as a red 'new'.

But I don't think there will ever be any modifications to the forum software.
Posted by: John B.
Date: May 28, 2022 06:58PM
AllGold
SKYLANE
I have often wished there was a button next to a thread that said "Do Not Show This Thread", so that it doesn't show up in my future scans of the pages. If my eyes have gone over threads that I don't want to see again, would like to not have to scan over it twice.

It would also be handy if when a user who is on Ignore posted to a thread, it didn't show as a red 'new'.

But I don't think there will ever be any modifications to the forum software.

Agree - if threads started by users who were on Ignore weren’t displayed, that would probably solve most of the concerns of those who don’t want to see them. But as noted, the forum software is what it is, with no features to be added/changed.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 28, 2022 07:11PM
We should definitely have a lot more Show Biz & TV listings news here.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 28, 2022 07:32PM
....the same rules should apply on the 'political' side......one particular poster/complainer.....often post back-to-back-to-back-to-back posts on the political side but no one mentions that.......the same person will often post an original thread......then instead of updating that thread, posts to his own thread again, and comment on his own thread and find his own thread amusing.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 28, 2022 07:32PM
I'm in the "if you don't like it, just move on... in fact, if you dislike it enough to keep bitching about it, why not just leave since you have clearly become incompatible with this 20+ year old community".

Just leave it be...
Or;
If you really don't like a set of posts, how about you make some substantive posts of the sort you like yourself? You know, lead by example rather than complaining?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 28, 2022 07:54PM
I agree with davester. Even with ignoring posters, trying to find the next thread of interest is like walking through a cow pasture without soiling your shoes.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: gadje
Date: May 28, 2022 09:21PM
1000 posts/year

we'd be suffering for a week every January until they use their quota but the rest of the year we'd be fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2022 09:21PM by gadje.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 28, 2022 09:24PM
DeusxMac

This is my problem with the current format. But if the first page were at 100 posts, I'm guessing that the same essential problem would still be present.
Posted by: August West
Date: May 28, 2022 09:54PM
Tiangou
pRICE cUBE

+1

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: August West
Date: May 28, 2022 10:08PM
I got a blind link here, davester; what happened to this guy?

MRF

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 29, 2022 12:20AM
$tevie
PS: I've been amused for years to realize that I am the only forum member who ever clicks to page 2.

There are two of us, $tevie.

It is what it is.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 29, 2022 12:46AM
More than two.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 29, 2022 06:26AM
I like the forums just the way they are.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 29, 2022 08:25AM
I like things the way they are. And I enjoy frequent posters because it keeps things from being børing. Scroll down, click “ignore this user” if you want to filter some of us out. All the controls are there. It’s all good !
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 29, 2022 09:07AM
cbelt3
I like things the way they are. And I enjoy frequent posters because it keeps things from being børing. Scroll down, click “ignore this user” if you want to filter some of us out. All the controls are there. It’s all good !

Agreed re/the way things are. I once likened the Forum layout (even back when we were on DealMac using the Phorum (?) software) to a full cocktail party; you wander from conversation to conversation. If you don't want to involve in the one you hear, you move onto the next. Going to the next page is like going to another room. Not a big deal.

The software does allow one to block users but, as has been pointed out, it does not block posts nor their subject lines. If I were being blocked, you'd still see my posts with their full titles but replies within that post would be shown as blocked. So it works, but it's a bit imperfect.

And, agree with other sentiments above; if things are bugging you about the Forum, take a break from it. Visit and post on some other forums. Places like Reddit offer great specific topic groups (r/VintageApple, r/MacSetups, r/OSX, r/Mac; just to name a few). Some great info and discussion to be had via Reddit subs -- I've spent a lot of time on r/DaystromInstitute where we have serious discussion about aspects of the Star Trek universe.

Still and all, I like the cocktail party.

Posted by: mspace
Date: May 29, 2022 09:08AM
August West
Tiangou
pRICE cUBE

+1

This.
...and it's a terrible idea.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 29, 2022 12:15PM
A quantity limit is ridiculous unless maybe somebody's cranking them out with some kind of churlish, childish intent.

I know mrp-admin doesn't want to ride herd on a bunch of cats, but when something like the above happens, it should be their purview.

Let Mom and Dad handle it.

mrp-admin already said the Phorum software is what it is, and that's final.

Ok, fine.

I'll still say that if the IGNORE button hide the posts the author's posts, that would solve my irritation.

The option to hide any given thread from the OP (top) or any thread by someone on the IGNORE time out would solve the run 'em off the page problem.

But just as members can chose not to click on a thread, others can chose to skip the complaints of someone choosing to voice their frustration.

So, same as it ever was.

Until next time...

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: ...and it's a terrible idea.
Date: May 29, 2022 03:02PM
RAMd®d
A quantity limit is ridiculous unless maybe somebody's cranking them out with some kind of churlish, childish intent.

That was the point of my suggestion. Yesterday most of the first page was filled by two posters who seemed to have a churlish childish intent to disrupt the forum through multiple posts of largely uncommented links. Most people here don't do that, though as I recall we did have at least one instance some years ago of a belligerent poster from Appleswitcher who completely filled this forum with nonsense posts for no reason other than to disrupt the forum. That person was banned.

Posted by: Acer
Date: May 29, 2022 05:01PM
I see two types of "bulk" posters here.
1. One type posts multiple times clearly because they enjoy finding and posting stuff.
2. The other posts multiple times because they are having a hissy about poster #1 and wish to teach someone, I don't know who, some sort of lesson.

Guess which one I'd wish would just shut their yap about the whole thing.
Hint, it isn't #1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2022 05:02PM by Acer.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 29, 2022 05:07PM
davester
RAMd®d

That was the point of my suggestion. Yesterday most of the first page was filled by two posters who seemed to have a churlish childish intent to disrupt the forum through multiple posts of largely uncommented links. Most people here don't do that, though as I recall we did have at least one instance some years ago of a belligerent poster from Appleswitcher who completely filled this forum with nonsense posts for no reason other than to disrupt the forum. That person was banned.

Yeah, but look at it on other days, the 'bulk poster' was a one-time protest. The other one...he's still going.
Posted by: kj
Date: May 29, 2022 05:29PM
I think post limits would hatch a huge batch of sock puppets.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 29, 2022 06:11PM
Steve G.
davester
RAMd®d

Yeah, but look at it on other days, the 'bulk poster' was a one-time protest. The other one...he's still going.

.....says the person who does multiple posts on the political side.....look at political side and see who is posting like crazy on that side......do as I say but not as I do....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020