advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
mom genes?!....new gene therapy treatment for pancreatic cancer.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 01, 2022 07:24PM
.....woman tried experimental treatment for her advanced pancreatic cancer [ which is one of the more difficult cancers to treat ] and it worked.....

...involved reprogramming her T-cells and placing back in her body to fight the cancer.....the modified T-cells will also reproduce and stay in her body, hopefully, preventing recurrence.....

.....practical applications for other cancers like prostate, breast, etc.....may be the treatment of the future for cancer.....

Experimental approach to treating pancreatic cancer heralded as a success

A new gene therapy shrank the tumors of a woman with pancreatic cancer. Researchers think it has the potential to benefit millions more people.

....An experimental treatment appears to have been successful in halting the progression of one woman's advanced pancreatic cancer, doctors reported Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The apparent success of the therapy — which involves tweaking the genes of immune cells so that they attack tumor cells — could be a major step forward in the treatment of not only pancreatic cancer, but other cancers as well.

“I’m really excited about this,” said Dr. Carl June, who more than a decade ago pioneered a different type of immune therapy for certain blood cancers. June was not involved with the new report.

Kathy Wilkes, 71, of Ormond Beach, Florida, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in early 2018. She initially underwent at least eight rounds of chemotherapy, as well as radiation and an operation called a Whipple procedure to remove part of her pancreas.

Within a year, however, the cancer had spread to her lungs.

“When I talked to my hometown oncologist and asked him what to do, he only had one answer, and that was chemotherapy. And I said, ‘That’s not my answer,’” Wilkes told NBC News.

She found a 2016 case report, also published in the New England Journal of Medicine, that detailed how a person with advanced colon cancer had been helped by an experimental type of gene therapy targeting a cancer mutation called KRAS G12D.

“I thought, 'That is the trial I want.' I knew that that was the trial that was going to save me, save my life. I just had that feeling,” Wilkes said.

With that in mind, she reached out to the author of the report, Eric Tran. Tran was at the National Institutes of Health when he treated the colon cancer patient, but had since moved on to the Providence Cancer Institute in Portland, Oregon. That’s where Wilkes found him and inquired about undergoing the same type of therapy.

It turned out that Wilkes had the same genetic mutation as the colon cancer patient, despite having different forms of cancer. Tran, who was involved with her therapy, was also an author of the latest New England Journal report.

Turning immune cells into tumor hunters

The experimental approach involved taking a sample of Wilkes' T cells, a type of immune cell that attacks invaders in the body. Scientists then genetically modified these cells, reprogramming them to recognize and attack tumor cells.

The T cells were then multiplied billions of times in a lab, before being delivered back in Wilkes' body via a single intravenous infusion.

The approach is reminiscent of CAR-T therapy, the form of treatment developed by June at the University of Pennsylvania.

“This is potentially a one-and-done treatment,” Dr. Rom Leidner, a co-author of the new report and co-director of the head and neck cancer therapy program at the Providence Cancer Institute, said of the new therapy.........

experimental treatment.....worked......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2022 07:27PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: mom genes?!....new gene therapy treatment for pancreatic cancer.....
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 01, 2022 08:11PM
That sounds really promising, we can only hope.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 01, 2022 08:43PM
Wow! It might be the miracle so many have been waiting for.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 01, 2022 08:57PM
Probably too late to save my best friend... (he has cancer in his liver, but, his oncologist says it's a type found in the pancreas mostly... it's likely it started in his pancreas, and migrated to his liver before 'taking root'...)
But, lets hope it yields cures for others.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 02, 2022 06:19AM
Paul F. sorry for your friend.

Three decades ago it was expected cystic fibrosis would soon be treated and cured using gene therapy. It didn’t happen. I hope this works for lots and lots of people.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: June 02, 2022 06:51AM
pancreatic cancer is a horror.

a lost a very good friend.

he didn't want to go the whipple route, tried chemo and radiation and was gone within 20 months.

i still miss the guy.

i hope this new procedure is a step towards ending the suffering and sorrow of many.

thumbs up,

rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 233
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020