Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
streaming rant Pt. 2
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 02, 2022 07:51PM
Earlier thread here.

The good news is I picked it up at the local library about 6pm. Had some dinner, watched Jeopardy, cleaned up the dishes, poured myself a glass of wine and fired up the dvd.

I bailed after about 35 minutes, wishing I had bailed after 15. What the hell was I thinking.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: streaming rant Pt. 2
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 02, 2022 08:05PM
Bailed? On American Graffiti? What are you, a Communist? smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 02, 2022 09:07PM
Not really my cup of tea either, but a real touchstone and seminal work of the 70’s. George Lucas (and Harrison Ford!) before Star Wars. Ron Howard and Cindy Williams before Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley, both of which were direct descendants of this movie. MacKenzie Phillips as a child actress before One Day at a Time. Suzanne Summers before Three’s Company. Richard Dreyfuss!

Produced by Coppola; I could have sworn that Spielberg was involved too somehow, before Jaws and ET.

Yeah, personally, I hated the whole 50’s/early 60’s craze of the 70’s, but it was what it was. And AG launched a dozen careers. Some movies you just have to grit your teeth and see because they are pure cultural zeitgeist.
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 02, 2022 09:52PM
Yeah, I know it launched a lot of careers and it was a big deal at the time. I think I've just become so used to better picture quality in newer films that when I watched older stuff I can't get past that washed-out look. Plus, in this case the whole thing was dark; not mood-wise, but visually. I remember reading that Lucas shot most of it at nighttime for that look, but it was bugging me. Then finally, as much as I know it's a big part of the film, I can take only so much of that early 60s music. They should have set it after the British Invasion. ;)
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 02, 2022 10:44PM
I guess we will have to disagree. I love that movie. It was set on one night of cruising, so of course it was dark.

My parents had the soundtrack LP, played it every Saturday Night in the 70s. I still love that music.

When I got job as a teenager, I bought my first CD player. I plugged it into my dad's console stereo's aux input and gave them the Double CD version!

After my father followed my mother into the light, I took that CD home with me. It was in his car.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: June 03, 2022 12:34AM
pdq
Not really my cup of tea either, but a real touchstone and seminal work of the 70’s. George Lucas (and Harrison Ford!) before Star Wars. Ron Howard and Cindy Williams before Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley, both of which were direct descendants of this movie. MacKenzie Phillips as a child actress before One Day at a Time. Suzanne Summers before Three’s Company. Richard Dreyfuss!

Before Jaws!

It is what it is.
Date: June 03, 2022 12:34AM
wurm
Yeah, I know it launched a lot of careers and it was a big deal at the time. I think I've just become so used to better picture quality in newer films that when I watched older stuff I can't get past that washed-out look. Plus, in this case the whole thing was dark; not mood-wise, but visually. I remember reading that Lucas shot most of it at nighttime for that look, but it was bugging me. Then finally, as much as I know it's a big part of the film, I can take only so much of that early 60s music. They should have set it after the British Invasion. ;)

The Blu-ray likely has better picture quality than the DVD.

It is what it is.
Posted by: blooz
Date: June 03, 2022 09:47PM
Pre British invasion music has its charms, especially if you were there, as I was, to dance to it in the high school gyms on Friday night.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 226
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020