advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So A Opossum Walks Into A Bar...
Posted by: jh
Date: June 02, 2022 08:08PM
Into bar in Brooklyn--and gets tossed out.

Let the jokes begin.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So A Opossum Walks Into A Bar...
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 02, 2022 08:25PM
Found one in my bedroom once. That was an interesting fifteen minutes.

It is what it is.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 02, 2022 09:08PM
I guess now we know the best way to deal with a possum. Not that I would try it.

Posted by: pdq
Date: June 02, 2022 09:20PM
Opossums are one of those animals that always look wretched.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 02, 2022 11:54PM
My daughter loves those things, asked for a pet. I declined. Got her a plushie.

[www.basspro.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 03, 2022 05:57AM
My wife used to feed a stray cat on our patio. One night she let out a scream and ran inside because the biggest rat she ever saw was eating the cat food. She had never seen an opossum before.

They are so ugly, they are cute

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 03, 2022 07:23AM
They are also much better climbers than you might think, from looking at them.
We had lots of ‘possum encounters at our old house. We also had the issue of them eating food left out for the feral kitties.
We also had an interesting incident involving our two big outdoor dogs and a “dead” ‘possum. My husband learned that playing ‘possum is very convincing. It was pretty funny.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 03, 2022 08:16AM
I never knew you could grab a possum by the scruff. I love how it works on cats... they just freeze. It's that old "Momma got me, better be good" reaction that even humans have.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: June 03, 2022 02:15PM
rgG
We had lots of ‘possum encounters at our old house. We also had the issue of them eating food left out for the feral kitties.
We also had an interesting incident involving our two big outdoor dogs and a “dead” ‘possum. My husband learned that playing ‘possum is very convincing. It was pretty funny.

You can’t leave us hanging like that…
Posted by: d4
Date: June 03, 2022 03:20PM
Now THAT is a woman.

Posted by: rgG
Date: June 03, 2022 04:01PM
Lizabeth
rgG

Well, the dogs, two female Rhodesian Ridgebacks had “killed” a ‘possum out in the pasture. Hubby and I went out to get the “corpse” of the ‘possum. Hubby picked the “lifeless” critter up by the tail and put him in a black garbage bag. I kept asking if he was sure it was dead. Hubby got snippy after about my third time asking, you can see where this is going, and said yes, he was POSITIVE it was dead. I still pointed out about the phrase “playing possum” one more time but he walked off with his bag and deposited it in the garbage can. Next day, I went out to put something in the garbage can and, drum roll, guess who had chewed his way out of the bag and was sitting in the bottom of the can, looking pretty well pissed off. I called out, “Oh, Frank, can you come outside for a minute.” He who has the last laugh and all. grinning smiley

Possum was set free, BTW.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 03, 2022 06:13PM
When opossums "play" dead they're not really playing. It's an involuntary response and they can remain unconscious for a few minutes up to four hours.

They're also marsupials--the only marsupials we have in North America.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: June 03, 2022 09:08PM
rgG
Lizabeth
rgG

Well, the dogs, two female Rhodesian Ridgebacks had “killed” a ‘possum out in the pasture. Hubby and I went out to get the “corpse” of the ‘possum. Hubby picked the “lifeless” critter up by the tail and put him in a black garbage bag. I kept asking if he was sure it was dead. Hubby got snippy after about my third time asking, you can see where this is going, and said yes, he was POSITIVE it was dead. I still pointed out about the phrase “playing possum” one more time but he walked off with his bag and deposited it in the garbage can. Next day, I went out to put something in the garbage can and, drum roll, guess who had chewed his way out of the bag and was sitting in the bottom of the can, looking pretty well pissed off. I called out, “Oh, Frank, can you come outside for a minute.” He who has the last laugh and all. grinning smiley

Possum was set free, BTW.

Love it! Thanks….
Posted by: blooz
Date: June 03, 2022 09:43PM
I love it when i see one around. They eat hundreds of ticks in a day, i hear.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 03, 2022 11:37PM
great story.

and boy, I still love hearing Jeanne Moos' voice on these stories.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 04, 2022 08:23PM
blooz
I love it when i see one around. They eat hundreds of ticks in a day, i hear.

Absolutely. They eat the stuff we would want them to eat in our yards. We always have young ones wandering through our yard. We are fine with them, as long as they don't come inside and mooch the cat's food.

They creep people out because we have a visceral response that is the same as if it were a big rat. But it isn't. Our local zoo has one as an Ambassador animal, along with a porcupine, an owl and a few others. Can't recall the opposum's name, but our porkypine in named Skyyana. We love her.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020