advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone regretted getting set up with rechargeable batteries and charger?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 02, 2022 08:57PM
I assume some people’s lifestyle isn’t cut out for the rechargeable life and I wonder if I’m one of them. I’ve decided on an eneloop charger and eneloop and Amazon AA and AAA batteries.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone regretted getting set up with rechargeable batteries and charger?
Posted by: davester
Date: June 02, 2022 09:04PM
Not an issue. They have higher capacity so last much longer between charges than alkaline, you don't waste time going to the store to buy replacements, and they're better from an environmental standpoint. What's not to like?

I do admit that the old pre-Eneloop rechargeable where a PITA because they would lose charge just sitting there, but that's no longer an issue.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2022 09:05PM by davester.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 02, 2022 09:35PM
I think it is like any other tool. If they meet your needs for the specific task, great. Use them. In my camping lanterns? Sure. In a smoke detector? Not really appropriate with current battery chemistry.

For the batteries themselves, rechargeable AA or AAA batteries pay for themselves after 2-3 charges. Then there is the waste to consider.

My 2 chargers I rely on can run off 12v, so on long road trips, we can keep everything charged, as opposed to buying expensive batteries while traveling.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 02, 2022 09:35PM
Maybe 30 years ago but rechargeables work very well now.

Date: June 02, 2022 09:44PM
I never thought of the 12V aspect. That’s good to know.
Date: June 02, 2022 09:51PM
Dennis S
I never thought of the 12V aspect. That’s good to know.

You could also run the charger off one of the little inverters if you have too. Some chargers will have a micro USB and run off of a cell phone car charger at a somewhat reduced charge rate.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: kj
Date: June 02, 2022 10:02PM
You're good. I find I just need to stay on top of them. Keep them tended to, and they work for a long time, and they work better than normal batteries.
Date: June 02, 2022 10:07PM
I think this is the charger I want:

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 02, 2022 10:28PM
Assess YOUR needs and then come up with a plan that will serve those needs. I have a Sangean AM / FM table radio I bought at least 10 years ago. It can handle rechargeable and "standard" batteries. If I remember correctly, the first batteries I used were alkaline (I had alkalines handy). I picked up a starter set of Enloops at a warehouse club and have been using them ever since (buying more Enloops along the way). The AAA size do need to be recharged more often (which is to be expected due their small size). I've been using 18VDC cordless tools for at least twenty years now, first with NiCad batteries and then LiIon for the last eight+ years. For me, rechargeable batteries simply provide more bang for the buck. LOTS of places accept batteries for recycling now too which makes it easier to act responsibly when disposing of batteries.

I just looked at your link. WOW, Enloops have gotten THAT expensive? I paid a LOT less but, that was several years ago. Do you belong to any warehouse clubs? I just did a quick check at SamsClub.com. EIGHT Energizer NiMH batteries with a four slot charger for $28.

[www.samsclub.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2022 10:36PM by testcase.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: June 02, 2022 11:13PM
I use rechargeables for five nightlights in the house. They light up when my mom gets up at night to use the bathroom. Once a week, I gather up the batteries in the AM and put them in the charger. Then in the evening, pop them into the lights. The lights aren’t dead when I do this but it keeps them topped up and working all the time. Probably lessening the overall life but going on a year doing this and it’s paid for itself. Mixture of eneloops, Ikea and tenergy cells.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 03, 2022 12:00AM
When my daughter was a baby, she loved being in her swing. In the 80s and 90s, my nephews and nieces' swings were wind up models, but hers was battery powered (4 C-cells).

I bought two sets of rechargeable AA's that came with C & D adapters, and swapped them out almost daily, as she slept in the swing quite happily.

Probably saved me lots of $$ and many sleepless nights.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: June 03, 2022 01:31AM
Dennis S
I think this is the charger I want:

[www.amazon.com]

good choice. 1 hour chargers are tough on small batteries if used regularly.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 03, 2022 06:58AM
Regret may be too strong a word, but i do have about 9 AA and 2 AAA rechargeable batteries and a charger that have been sitting unused for a while. I've already tossed some others in recent years. I guess we really don't use batteries enough, so I keep forgetting about them until I need them.
Posted by: d4
Date: June 03, 2022 08:26AM
When my kids were very young they had many toddler toys that ran on AAA and AA batteries. This was around 10 years ago when rechargeables were getting popular and readily available. Although they were highly touted here on the forum and online, I found these 1stGen rechargeables to be lacking compared to a fresh pack of name brand alkaline AAs. They just seemed "not ready for prime time." I had Eneloops, Amazon, IKEA, and generic Chinese.

My rechargeables graveyard has 3 chargers, 6 AAAs, 25 or so AAs. Wacky plastic sleeves for C and D sizes(I'm not positive). About half of the AAs are "corrupted" somehow and won't charge. Another handful frustratingly hold a small charge.

When you take the price/materials/chemicals/carbon footprint of rechargeables into consideration, I wonder what is the break even point of actually being better for the environment. And this only matters when they are disposed of properly. Honestly, what percentage of people do this?

I'm definitely in a deep hole with those generic Chinese rechargeables that died on me. Not sure if it was with age, unuse, or just faulty. I used/recharged them maybe 10 times. How many millions of those AAs are in landfills right now.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 03, 2022 11:00AM
I've just started with some IKEA AA's and their branded charger. My outdoor hose timer was chewing through AAs before, so I thought that would be a good use for the rechargeables. Only downside is you need a place to leave the charger plugged in, accessible for when you need to swap them out.

On a similar note, I've had an Energizer induction charger that came with rechargeable battery packs for wii remotes for over 10 years now. Over that time I've replaced the AAA cells inside the packs twice. I'm sure there would have been many dozens of regular AAs in the garbage so this is a clear win.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 03, 2022 11:12AM
I have mostly lithium and rechargeable batteries these days. Destroyed too many remotes and flashlights in the past. I use this charger and love it.

[www.amazon.com]

Will take anything you can throw at it that will fit in the charger.
Date: June 03, 2022 04:29PM
Spiff
I have mostly lithium and rechargeable batteries these days. Destroyed too many remotes and flashlights in the past. I use this charger and love it.

[www.amazon.com]

Will take anything you can throw at it that will fit in the charger.

I have a NiteCore i4. Good company.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: gadje
Date: June 03, 2022 08:03PM
For the batteries themselves, rechargeable AA or AAA batteries pay for themselves after 2-3 charges.

I think it's more like 5-10 charges, unless you pay full retail price for Alkaline and get a super deal on Eneloops.
Date: June 03, 2022 10:07PM
AA or AAA Ikea batteries are $2.25 each in 4 packs. Private label Eneloops. [www.ikea.com]

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 04, 2022 08:28AM
I still have my chargers and a few unused AA batteries. I buy only alkaline batteries now because they last predictably in my use case unlike the rechargeables.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 04, 2022 10:08PM
Speedy
I still have my chargers and a few unused AA batteries. I buy only alkaline batteries now because they last predictably in my use case unlike the rechargeables.

And that is very reasonable. Getting some 10 year Lithiums for a flashlight in your trunk, or on your boat, to only be remembered when you need it is a great use case. I need to do that with one in my big garage.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020