advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone have any "I remember when" stories about gas prices?
Posted by: mstudio
Date: June 04, 2022 08:38AM
I filled the tank on my van yesterday, $80, I'll be able to go about 275 miles on that. My first car, a '61 Bug got around 30mpg and gas was .24 at the time in '68. I would put a dollar in it every few weeks. In 1981 I drove my '78 Rabbit diesel from Chicago to Florida and back for $40 in fuel. Fuel was less than a buck and it got 60mpg. I'm old, I think about these things sometimes.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone have any "I remember when" stories about gas prices?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 04, 2022 08:52AM
I remember when I used to buy gas. Now I plug in.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 04, 2022 08:58AM
As a truck driver, I remember buying 150 gallons of Diesel for under $30. I paid 17.9¢ for gas, which was pretty much all road tax, around 1970. Even at that price I couldn’t always afford a fill.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: June 04, 2022 09:20AM
As a teenager, I mowed lawns with my little push mower in the 60's. I could fill my 1 gallon gas can for a quarter and get paid about $3.00 for mowing a 1 acre lot. Times have changed!
Posted by: Microman
Date: June 04, 2022 09:30AM
I was cleaning up photos, and ran across this screen shot, dated April 2020. I was driving back from back east to California to bring my Granddaughter home and stopping at Costco gas stations when possible.

This is what it was a little over 2 years ago.., then..

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 04, 2022 09:30AM
In high school, I worked at a service station during the first big gas crisis. At the time, the mechanical pumps would only go up to 99. Nine cents per gallon. For a while, we ended up charging per quart, and had to change it had to calculate it to equal a gallon.
Eventually, they came along and chiseled out part of the face, and added the 1 for the over $1 pricing. They were also even and odd days, based on your license plate, and which days you could get gas.
Thankfully, for the last 7.5 years and 200,000 miles I just plug in and it is free, since I paid off my solar many years ago.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2022 09:32AM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 04, 2022 10:23AM
My dad took a retirement job at a gas station, you-fill had just started but there were no credit card readers. You gave him cash, filled, and he gave you change (or the pump turned off at whatever you gave). I think gas was in the upper 30¢ range. You also got a free bottle of wine with a fill-up. We had cases of that cheap Morgan David stuff in the garage. I'd swipe a few and get plastered with friends.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: June 04, 2022 10:40AM
the one distinct memory I have about gas prices from long ago took place sometime in the late '70s - while walking to school I'd always go by a particular gas station. Over the course of the school year, I noticed that the prices kept rising, but apparently to a pattern - the sum of the digits always seemed to be "9", i.e. "$0.45", "$0.54", "$0.63". Those are the prices I can remember, I don't recall any specific higher or lower prices than those three.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 04, 2022 12:54PM
I remember putting leaded gas in my 68 Firebird for <$1 a gallon.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 04, 2022 01:03PM
I remember in the mid/late 1970's crossing the Peace Bridge from Buffalo to Fort Erie Ontario to buy gas. The gas there was priced in Imperial Liters per Canadian Dollar. I have no idea what the actual price per US Gallon in US dollars was.
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 04, 2022 01:31PM
Remember all the dishes and Coke trays you used to get with $.13 a gallon gas? I go back before WW2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2022 01:32PM by samintx.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 04, 2022 01:36PM
60s when nearby Texaco station was cheaper than the one on the Naval Base!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 04, 2022 01:36PM
During the first Gulf War, President Bush the first released the oil reserves. I paid $.88/gallon. Cheapest Gas I ever bought.

Adjusted for inflation, that $1.87 a gallon. Still pretty cheap.

A chart of gas prices, 1993-2022
[www.eia.gov]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: June 04, 2022 01:49PM
mstudio
I filled the tank on my van yesterday, $80, I'll be able to go about 275 miles on that...

I sold my Dodge Durango -- which got about 19mpg -- and picked up a Scion xB -- which got about 26mpg -- when the last gas crisis hit. At the time, a new Dodge would have maxed out at 14mpg.

Now I drive a hybrid SUV. I drove 400 miles on Thursday, used a bit more than half of my 12-gallon tank of gas.

I admit that this kind of mileage was exceptional. Ordinarily, I get barely 500 miles on 10 gallons of gas. This time, there was heavy traffic along the route, so I was coasting on battery most of the way. (With a hybrid, mpg goes up in traffic.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2022 01:52PM by Tiangou.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 04, 2022 01:52PM
I remember gas prices in the 20-30 cent range

I absolutely remember several 'man on the street' quotes of people swearing they would never pay more than $1/g for gas - NEVER!
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 04, 2022 02:01PM
I remember seeing 23 cents a gallon on a sign, but in retrospect, it’s hard to believe because it would gave been in the late 60’s.

Maybe it was a long-closed station?
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: June 04, 2022 03:00PM
My family bought a new 1968 Buick LeSabre (ugh, a humongous thing, though it came in handy once I started dating and got my driver’s license), and the first time we filled the tank (a 25 gallon monster), it cost a whopping $10. We were stunned.

Posted by: hal
Date: June 04, 2022 03:08PM
here's a good place for this:

Believe it or not, gas station bathrooms used to be squeaky clean. Here's what changed.
[edition.cnn.com]

Gas station bathrooms are the last place most people want to stop to do their business.

But that wasn't always the case. Spotless bathrooms were once a crucial selling point for gas stations.

In fact, oil giants' gas station ads in the early and mid-20th century assured travelers that their bathrooms were as clean as those in drivers' own homes.

Texaco, Gulf, Shell, Sunoco, Esso, Phillips and other companies plastered billboards on roads, ran color ads in national magazines and created catchy slogans such as "Registered Rest Rooms" and "Clean Restroom Crusade" to highlight their facilities. The companies battled to surpass each others' bathrooms, with some companies even sending out "White Patrol" and "Highway Hostess" teams to inspect and certify them.

Companies tried to make their bathrooms feel more like home in response to the growing number of women who were driving and traveling around the country. By 1928, women bought half of gas stations' fuel that year, according to an industry journal.

Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: June 04, 2022 03:29PM
This will really date me, but I remember a gas war between 2 stations across the street from each other with gas at 11 cents a gallon.

I also remember borrowing my dad's car for a date in High School. I was a big spender and paid for gas...a dollar's worth (3 gallons).

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: vicrock
Date: June 04, 2022 06:07PM
Late 60s 19.9 cents a gallon and if you filled up you got a steak knife, glass, or some piece of china dishware.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 04, 2022 06:11PM
When I started driving gas was normally either .28/.32 gal, during the occasional gas war it would dip to .24/28 - lowest I ever came across during a war was .17

That was when there were more than just a handful of companies refining and market gasoline - concentration of ownership and reduction of competition has as much to due with high retail and even higher profit margins as do the Saudis or Russians.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 04, 2022 06:19PM
Late '90s getting gas in NJ for about 70 cents a gallon. Was making a number of trips through there to visit my sons who were living with their mother just outside of Baltimore.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: June 04, 2022 06:57PM
Gas was nearing a dollar when I was a high school senior, with my first car and first job. But the minimum wage I earned at the radio station was still only $1.65, so the pain level was very close to today.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 04, 2022 07:39PM
It is safe to say that in any of our lifetimes, it has never been this high.

And anyone gloating about their EV? You still buy goods, moved with fossil fuels. You are paying for inflated fuel that way.

The global movement of the crude and refined petro has shifted, and in the case of the US, the oil companies are price gouging, in conjunction with shipping domestic oil overseas because they will pay more. Europe is getting diesel that we otherwise would be buying. They are paying more.

There isn't a global shortage, just a distribution disruption. OPEC upping production just means more of their oil comes here.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2022 07:40PM by Racer X.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 04, 2022 08:16PM
Late 80's in Italy, gas cost around $4-5 per gallon, although it was of course sold buy the liter and priced in Lira.

I was stationed at Aviano, and I had to buy gas ration coupons. The price was still above what Americans paid for gas, but far cheaper than Italian prices.

The guys who lived in the barracks would often sell their extra coupons to gas station owners. A black market kind of thing. The Air Force Office of Special Investigations would monitor this and bust the kids for doing this. When they received an Article 15 for doing this, their name would be published in the base newspaper, along with the amount and type of punishment they received.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 05, 2022 12:36AM
I paid $.16 a gallon in the late 60’s. Minimum wage was around $1.65.
Posted by: Michael
Date: June 05, 2022 02:14PM
In 1971 I drove a friend to college in San Diego from the Bay Area. Gas was in the mid 20 cent range, as I recall. He paid for the gas coming back and insisted that we go to a particular station where it was $19.9 a gallon. I filled the 2 tanks on our International Harvester Scout and started driving back. I don't know what the deal was with that gas but I got incredibly poor mileage coming back and had to stop for a refill much sooner than I expected. Before I got to a station I was on fumes and so drafted behind an 18-wheeler for a number of miles. I know I really bothered the guy--I kept seeing his face in his rear view mirror--but I was about dry.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 05, 2022 04:25PM
When I was in college there was a gas station on Neville Island outside Pittsburgh that was having a “flashback” sale to celebrate new owners. They offered gas at prices from the year the station first opened. I was able to buy gas for 89¢/gal. Seemed like a big deal at the time, but in retrospect it was about $4 In total savings over the regular price at the time. That’s the lowest price I’ve ever paid though. Alas, I was driving a Mazda 323 so the tank was only about 8 gal anyway.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 06, 2022 04:35PM
I remember when my father would complain bitterly about buying gas when we were vacationing, because the gas stations on Cape Cod would jack up the price to 35 cents a gallon in the summer.

On the other hand, you could buy a house in a nice quiet suburban town in NJ for $8,000. So it's all relative.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Acer , Bo , JEB , kj , pqrst
Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020