advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Question about resetting dumpster dive Macbooks...
Posted by: jonny
Date: June 05, 2022 04:41PM
My wife works at a large Bay Area university. Recently one of her coworkers discovered six brand new (new vintage stock) 2010 MacBooks in an e-waste dumpster RollingEyesSmiley5 and they ended up on our living room floor.

Two of them have a clean system on them. Four of them are locked with administrator passwords. I would like to wipe these locked MacBooks and give them to student 'basic needs' group.

If I recall correctly, a password reset could be performed with install CDs –no tengo. I do have a Mojave clone from an old iMac. Is it possible to reset the laptops with that clone?

Thanks all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2022 04:41PM by jonny.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Question about resetting dumpster dive Macbooks...
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: June 05, 2022 04:49PM
Macs that old, just do the AppleSetupDone trick in Single User Mode.

[www.lifewire.com]

Date: June 05, 2022 04:51PM
Tiangou
Macs that old, just do the AppleSetupDone trick in Single User Mode.

[www.lifewire.com]

You are a a gentleperson and a scholar. Thanks!
Posted by: gadje
Date: June 05, 2022 05:13PM
discovered six brand new (new vintage stock) 2010 MacBooks in an e-waste dumpster

Brand new as in never used? WTF?
Date: June 05, 2022 05:18PM
gadje
discovered six brand new (new vintage stock) 2010 MacBooks in an e-waste dumpster

Brand new as in never used? WTF?

I know. It just makes me sick.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 05, 2022 09:35PM
The way things can work at the university, it's amazing that anything ever gets accomplished.

Seeing a shelf with 'still in the shrink wrap' devices is unfortunately not unusual at the university, even if you're not in the bookstore…many times, research projects have to spend money - like now, under duress fast - and it's pretty easy to rationalize a tech purchase (or 2, 5, or 10). This is especially true if the option is to lose that piece of a budget.

Happens far too often. Generally those items get ID tagged if they come via purchase order, but sometimes they're just delivered to an office without ever going through the process - especially if they're purchased with a Pcard - which can happen when the money needs to be spent in a hurry.

No one even really knows that some of these items even exist until some kind of audit gets done, 3-5 years down the line. In some places, that's done well, in others, not so much.

No one's trying to do anything criminal - but no one really thinks very much about the ramifications of these situations, either. Good find!
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 05, 2022 09:39PM
…btw, diving at dorms at the end of spring semester often turns up a treasure trove of technology. So much so that some universities are now offering to buy back student tech that they don't want to travel home with for the summer because they don't want the liability of off-campus folks coming in to do the diving.

Really crazy stuff.

Only in America.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 05, 2022 10:10PM
.....anyone that lives near university pickup some gems end of the year (May) when students move out......most throw out everything to avoid carrying it......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2022 06:53AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 06, 2022 01:56AM
bfd
…btw, diving at dorms at the end of spring semester often turns up a treasure trove of technology. So much so that some universities are now offering to buy back student tech that they don't want to travel home with for the summer because they don't want the liability of off-campus folks coming in to do the diving.

Really crazy stuff.

Only in America.

University I worked at has a group that collects some of the items and cleans and refurbishes some of it to be sold at the beginning of the following semester tag sale style. What can't be sold gets recycled. It was started by students several years ago, now there is some staff involved in the process. Student workers get hired over the summer to work on the collected stuff.

A good portion of it comes from out of state students who have limited ability to transport stuff with them. Especially international students. There are some storage options in the area for returning students, but those who graduate usually leave behind what they can't sell off.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 06, 2022 06:38AM
Sidewalks here are littered (literally) with stuff being thrown out now. Much junk but many students can't take it with them, especially international students. And usually they are the ones with the ching.
Posted by: decay
Date: June 06, 2022 08:36AM
Command R to boot into Recovery mode?
Wipe drive and install OS.

[www.macworld.com]

---
Posted by: Michael
Date: June 06, 2022 01:51PM
bfd
The way things can work at the university, it's amazing that anything ever gets accomplished.

Seeing a shelf with 'still in the shrink wrap' devices is unfortunately not unusual at the university,

Before I became a chair, one of my colleagues got a small grant that allowed him to buy 30 or so second gen iPad mini's and associated hardware. The were for faculty who taught in the student success program in the first year of student enrollment. A number of faculty in our department got them but there were a bunch of left-overs sitting on his shelf behind the door. After I became chair I suggested to the faculty member that we could re-write the requirements for receiving one. So we did and the last 10 or so were able to be passed out to new faculty. They were 5 years old when we finally got them passed out and Apple stopped supporting them a couple of years ago. I have one and used it for travel for several years. At this point it sits on my receiver and I only use it to stream music. But, it's nice they didn't just go obsolete sitting in new packaging.
Posted by: kj
Date: June 07, 2022 06:32PM

This is my chair, Michael.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 07, 2022 07:40PM
It's hard having four legs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

kj
Guests: 75
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020