advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone using Flo by Moen or a similar smart shutoff valve?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 06, 2022 10:13AM
I'm considering a couple of plumping projects I'd like to knock out and one of the items on my list to consider is a 'smart' shutoff valve. Higher end devices will turn off the water automatically if a broken pipe is detected, lower end devices simply provide a means of turning off your water remotely. The general idea is that even an expensive 'smart' shut off valve is cheap insurance compared to cleaning up an indoor flood.

Anyone research this topic? Own one? Any advice on the matter?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone using Flo by Moen or a similar smart shutoff valve?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 06, 2022 11:21AM
I just bought this leak detection system. They also sell shutoff valves:

[www.amazon.com]

I didn't do a ton of research, but they look pretty good, especially for the price. I didn't research their valve stuff, just the leak detection.
Posted by: clay
Date: June 06, 2022 02:51PM
no experience with these. But how do these systems detect leaks? How does a leak behave differently from normal usage? Flow rate? Uninterrupted use? Time of day?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 06, 2022 05:10PM
clay
no experience with these. But how do these systems detect leaks? How does a leak behave differently from normal usage? Flow rate? Uninterrupted use? Time of day?

>How does a leak behave differently from normal usage?

It'll do leak tests at night, when water usage is theoretically zero. Any flow means a leak. - To be honest, I'm not sure what it would make of my house as we have a number of old fixtures that need replacing. Drip drip drip.

During the day, large sustained flow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2022 05:20PM by mattkime.
Posted by: BillMac
Date: June 06, 2022 09:42PM
I bought the Yolink system with the Bulldog shutoff valve after having a whole-house water booster pump installed. I'd read stories about the booster pumps (any brand, really) failing, and spraying water everywhere. IIRC, it cost about $300 for everything.

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

About a week after all was installed, I was in the shower and lost water. I went to the basement, and the valve had been turned off. Weird thing was, I didn't see a leak. The concrete floor is painted gray in that area. I reset it, and got back to my business. A day or two later, wifey tells me she lost water and the valve was tripped, again. She reset it and went back to business. I thought I had a defective setup... bad sensor or something.

NOPE. Upon closer inspection, the floor under the sensor was just DAMP, from a very slow leak with the new plumbing.

The basement is not finished (yet), but I can guarantee that I'll never be without an auto shutoff valve with leak sensors ever again.

Oh, and the Yolink doesn't work off flow in the pipes. It detects leaks/moisture using the contacts on the sensors. Floor gets wet, leak detected, valve activated, water shuts off in about 15 seconds. I placed a second sensor near the water heater.

-Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2022 09:44PM by BillMac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020