advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OWC Envoy Express enclosure
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 06, 2022 05:42PM
I had bought a Sabrent USB C to create an external boot drive for my 2018 Mini. Tried creating an external boot drive with Recovery but it always failed. Based upon what I've read on the forum, I tried the OWC enclosure. After a few glitches due to having two user accounts with similar names, the process went smoothly after the issue was addressed. Nice to have breathing room on the ssd. It appears that the limited free space on the internal drive was the cause of most of the issues that I was having.

Now I need to migrate files that were off loaded on to an external back to the boot drive. Hopefully, this will fix the remaining few issues.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OWC Envoy Express enclosure
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 06, 2022 09:07PM
Mac,

What OS did you have on the internal? Carbon Copy Cloner should have minimal trouble cloning from a lower capacity internal drive to a higher capacity external model. The only possible glitch might be related to the OS itself as newer flavor of the OS are less clone friendly.

FWIW, until last week, I was using a frankendrive built from an Inland Premium 1TB NVME SSD and a Sabrent USB 3.1 Gen 2 enclosure. Performs like a champ. It's been the cornerstone and boot drive of my '19 iMac 27" for nearly three years. The machine has Mojave on it.

Recently move from that configuration to a frankendrive built out of an Inland Performance 2TB NVME SSD and an OWC Envoy Express. It's been nearly a week and the new frankendrive has proven itself rock solid. How it'll be over the long term, I can't say. So far, so good.

FWIW, I have several other USB 3.1 Gen 2 with NVME SSD based frankendrives. With the exception of one box which was a little glitchy and another box that was defective, all have been rock solid. Using them with iMacs and other systems. Some under High Sierra but most under Mojave.

Robert
Date: June 06, 2022 09:36PM
Monterey. I was having issues with the drive disconnecting. Works great with the new enclosure.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: June 07, 2022 01:03AM
macphanatic

I have two Envoy Pro enclosures that came along with two 1TB NVMe SSDs I bought for two 2017 MacBookAir7,2 units. I put the two removed stock Apple 128GB drives into the Envoy Pro enclosures. I have been very challenged using either of them reliably, been trying all different types of formatting schemes. I know the Envoy Pro is not the same device as your Envoy Express, I am curious what formatting scheme you used on your Envoy Express?

Jeff
Date: June 07, 2022 05:52AM
SKYLANE
macphanatic

I have two Envoy Pro enclosures that came along with two 1TB NVMe SSDs I bought for two 2017 MacBookAir7,2 units. I put the two removed stock Apple 128GB drives into the Envoy Pro enclosures. I have been very challenged using either of them reliably, been trying all different types of formatting schemes. I know the Envoy Pro is not the same device as your Envoy Express, I am curious what formatting scheme you used on your Envoy Express?

Jeff

APFS GUID partition map.

You might want to research the stock ssd's. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Apple SSD's didn't play nicely in some enclosures.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 07, 2022 06:45AM
Skylane,

MacPhanatic is using the correct formatting and partitioning scheme. These days, especially if you're using NVME SSDs and OS Mojave or newer, you should be formatting drives as APFS and GUID.

Apple SSDs do not have a standard connection. They have a proprietary connector and only work in Apple's own devices or specific enclosures from OWC such as the Envoy Pro. They will not work in a standard M.2 box like the OWC Envoy Express or one of the many enclosures I've recommended in other posts.

FWIW, the OWC Aura Pro sticks in your MBA are not standard NVME SSDs. They are OWC models designed to work with Apple's proprietary connection. They have to be formatted as APFS and GUID. The original Apple sticks should be APFS and GUID, too.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020