advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Watch questions
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 11, 2022 11:28AM
Seems you have low battery life. Have to charge almost daily.

What about the Cell watch where no iPhone necessary? Good bad indifferent?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Watch questions
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: June 11, 2022 01:03PM
samintx
Seems you have low battery life. Have to charge almost daily.

No big deal. I top it off in the morning while I prep for work and hit the shower.

samintx
What about the Cell watch where no iPhone necessary? Good bad indifferent?

You mean the Apple Watch with cell-capability? I have one, but AT&T charges so much in various monthly fees to use it (fees vary by region) that I never activated the feature. Allegedly, 911 service will still work without a nearby phone.

You can still make and receive calls via WiFi or Bluetooth. It's fine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2022 01:06PM by Tiangou.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 11, 2022 01:04PM
I have an iWatch 5. it needs to be charged every day,

As for with or without cellular, I expect the cellular model would be even harder on battery usage.

As I never had an iWatch with cellular capabilities, I have no idea how the voice quality would be but, with a tiny speaker, I would not expect much in voice quality.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 11, 2022 01:37PM
I have an AW4. it has cellular but I turned it off after a few months as I realized I always have my phone with me. I will say, if you use the watch with the cell on and no phone nearby it drains pretty quickly. Found that out at a conference.

Right now my AW4 barely lasts an 18 hour day as my battery health is down to 71% in it's 4 year life. A replacement battery is $79 plus a couple of weeks w/o the watch as you have to send it in. I'm holding out to see what the next watch will offer before I either upgrade to a newer watch or replace the battery. for my needs nothing in the yearly offerings so far has been compelling.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 11, 2022 04:58PM
testcase
I have no idea how the voice quality would be but, with a tiny speaker, I would not expect much in voice quality.

The far end wouldn't even know you're using an Apple Watch but as you surmised, the voice you hear from the Apple Watch's speaker is intelligible but neither loud nor "high fidelity."
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 11, 2022 05:04PM
If your Watch gets a fair amount of use daily, charging almost daily isn't bad or particularly abnormal.

I charge my Watch in the morning during the shower shave rituals, and sometimes at night, getting ready to hit the hard deck.

My rechargeable kit, no matter how makes it, tends to get recharged at 50% or slightly higher, almost never lower.

That means it doesn't take long to get fully charged.

If I'm loungin' and have to go out later for anything, the Watch may go on the charger for a bit.

Having a couple-three chargers handy makes it effortless to take the Watch off and plop it on the puck.

I've seen comments by people claiming to get three days out of a charge, and I don't really buy that.

One can shut down some of the functions not needed, but getting three days or more means turning a lot of stuff off and running it way below 50%.

For that kind of use, I'd just get a watch or feature watch, and pass on an Apple Watch.

There are a lot of guides on how to save energy on the Watch by turning off some functions, and you might give those a look.

One of the things is pair down the number of Apps on Background Refresh and those using Location Services.

Apps in those categories use battery a lot, and you may not need some or most of them.

Also, dark Watch faces use less battery, as black OLEDs are off, and OLEDs of any color are on, using battery.

Bright watch faces use more juice than dark ones.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 11, 2022 05:18PM
Good suggestions all. Thanks
Posted by: richorlin
Date: June 11, 2022 09:25PM
I have an AW7 and I top it up every night. I have no use for the sleep monitor function so I don't mind charging it nightly. If I didn't top it up, I could probably get a day and a half or maybe two days. But, then, I use my iPhone for most things rather than my watch, I use the watch mostly for the health-related functions and, of course, telling time.

Yes, I know...then why did I buy the watch? After I bought it, it told me I had A-Fib. I keep track of my heart and monitor the ECG and send them to my cardiologist. I think that function alone is worth the cost of the watch.

richorlin
Check out DRAWINGMYLIFE.COM
“Hand-crafted humor since 1947”
More laughs than a barrel of dead monkeys

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2022 09:28PM by richorlin.
Posted by: August West
Date: June 11, 2022 10:03PM
Charge the phone and watch each night on the bedside table.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 11, 2022 10:55PM
My Apple Watch question is: why can't they make a round one? I do not like the appearance of the square one.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 11, 2022 11:42PM
$tevie
My Apple Watch question is: why can't they make a round one? I do not like the appearance of the square one.

can’t please everyone. probably has a lot to do with keeping as much space as possible for display of information. life is a trade off. i think the samsung watch is round.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Diana
Date: June 12, 2022 01:29AM
I have the GPS version (non-cell). I charge it in the morning while I’m eating breakfast and drinking coffee and put it back on after showering. It only goes below 50% when I forget to charge it; in that case it will last about two days. I also have a dark face on it (most times).
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 12, 2022 10:41AM

I've been wanting a round Apple Watch since maybe the second or third Gen Watch.

Apple could do it, but I think they want the current shape to be iconic, and Samsung and others have already done a round watch.

Several manufacturers have made watches that look very similar to the Apple Watch.

Even though Apple may not have been first with that shape, I think most people think of the Watch when seeing the shape, even if it's a Blaze or other watch.

That maybe cachet that Apple doesn't want to give up.

The Samsung Galaxy watches are interesting, but aren't particularly elegant to my eye.

Some are quick to say the round shape isn't as 'efficient' in displaying text, but for me it's like having a sports car and a sedan, one can have both and use whichever suits their mood or need at the moment.

I like watches, always have.

The Apple Watch is the only rectangular (or square, for that matter) I've ever owned.

Very rarely has a rectangular/square mech ever held my attention for more than a minute or two, but I have a lot of mechs, all round or roundish.

can’t please everyone. probably has a lot to do with keeping as much space as possible for display of information. life is a trade off. i think the samsung watch is round.

Apple makes two different MacBooks, because neither one is for everybody.

If they made a round Watch, it would sell, and sell well I think.

They could enlarge the text at the widest point of a round face when scrolling; they do it already on at least on page of the Watch.

I have no doubt Apple has played with prototypes of round Watches at some level, but have no real idea why they haven't made one.

They've only just got 'round (npi) to adding a weather app to iPad and Macs.

I laughed like crazy when Marquis Brownlee (MBKHD) asked Craig Federighi about native weather and calculator apps for the iPad.

[tech.hindustantimes.com]

Craig was dancing with two left feet around that.

Yes, Apple sells a round Watch and I'll be all in.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020