advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dish Washer annoyance - rusty racks...
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: June 11, 2022 04:21PM
I have the following dishwasher, came new with the house that I bought 5 years ago. Used fairly often, with soft water here too.

Whirlpool WDF320PADS3

A friend is remodeling a kitchen and selling his current dishwasher and buying something probably more higher end. Current unit is about a year old, used about twice a week. For me as a friend, he said I could have it for free if I wanted it.

Frigidaire FFCD2413US (currenlty 449, usually 559 at Lowes)

My Whirlpool is functionally working really well and is fairly quiet, the only (non)problem with it is that about a dozen places have rusted on the upper and lower racks. Shockingly, a local appliance shop quotes combined replacement price for those at $500 (some online places slightly cheaper). No-Go, on that. I think the (non)problem is actually more cosmetic and annoying. However, the dishwasher is now 5 years old, used a lot. Maybe moving over to the Frigidaire for now would make sense from an age/cost perspective.

Just ranting here about rust and rack replacement costs regarding the dang rusty posts. However, was wondering how any of you have dealt with and resolved rusty areas in racks in dishwasher. Ignore it? Repair it? Buy a dishwasher model that is rust resistant in racks? or, other experience?

I mentioned the manufacturers Frigidaire and Whirlpool above in case any one wanted to comment on them...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2022 04:24PM by SKYLANE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dish Washer annoyance - rusty racks...
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 11, 2022 04:41PM
we have a 16-year-old Kitchenaid made by Whirlpool.
It was about $1100 new. I've replaced the clip/clasp and grinder.
Otherwise (knock wood) been fine.
no rust. I don't think our water is either hard or soft.

We had used TJs powder for years until we switched to Cascade plops last year, which does a much better job and is dirt cheap from CostCo.

I wonder if whatever detergent you're using is too harsh?

In any case, used parts can be found on ebay. I just replaced the fiberglass rope seal of our Thermador oven (also 16-year-old) for about 1/3 off the average price from ebay, nib. YMMD.

I buy Whirlpool/KitchenAid appliances and have had excellent luck with them since I was a prat in 1960's. Matter fact, I took my folks 1960s avocado green W/D combo to my house in the mid 80s and had it until I sold in the mid 90s.

Frigidaire is now an Electrolux company. Electrolux has a very good rep in general. Have no idea what parts and repair procurement is like for them. Whirlpool/KA is easy peasy.

!#$@@$#!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2022 04:46PM by Fritz.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: June 11, 2022 04:48PM
Using just the usual green box Cascade here form the supermarket aisle. Also, use the Jet Dry Rinse Aid by "finish", blue fluid.

Since I have a EDIT softwater system for the house, the dishwasher instructions say to use less detergent, like about 50% less. Could drying heat be causing an issue with the rack coating? Possibly causing it to compromise slightly and get water intrusion? I dunno...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2022 07:04PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 11, 2022 05:33PM
SKYLANE
Using just the usual green box Cascade here form the supermarket aisle. Also, use the Jet Dry Rinse Aid by "finish", blue fluid.

Since I have a software system for the house, the instructions say to use less detergent, like about 50% less. Could drying heat be causing an issue with the rack coating? Possibly causing it to compromise slightly and get water intrusion? I dunno...

I find it hard to believe that heated drying wouldn't harm the vinyl over steel on the racks. We don't use heated drying, and our DW is 20 years old in December. No cracks.rust in the coating. GE TRiton XL.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: June 11, 2022 06:32PM
oh yeah, heated drying, never. That'll kill most dw's. It's like self-clean ovens. Almost never.
We use heated dry when we're in a rush, though truthfully, dunno it makes much difference.
Run the dw at night and by morning, more or less dry.
Leave the door cracked to finish drying.

!#$@@$#!

Date: June 11, 2022 06:40PM
That's what we do Fritz. We had some stuff a sick cat was using, and we have a Sanitize setting, where the heating coil for heated drying is used to make the wash/rinse water extra hot, and then heated drying. But we have only used that maybe 4? times.

Also heated drying is what melts the plastic stuff, like inexpensive party serving utensils, etc. If you never use it, you don't have to think about what you are cleaning.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 11, 2022 08:09PM

'Rusty Racks' starred in five Westerns in 1919-1921

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2022 08:29PM by Steve G..
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 11, 2022 08:54PM
This stuff would probably work. I just used their generic tool dip and it works great. This version is for racks, as in dishwashers.

BigRiver

Posted by: davester
Date: June 11, 2022 09:11PM
Our 25 year old Kitchenaid racks started getting rusty so I used the ReRack stuff linked above. Not perfect but worked OK. I gave that dishwasher away last year and it was still going strong.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2022 09:12PM by davester.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 11, 2022 10:58PM
I don't have a dishwasher but have wondered for a long time, when I am visiting friends or family and helping in the kitchen, why there is so often rust on the racks of dishwashers that otherwise seem to be in great shape. I kind of came to assume it was planned obsolescence.

Date: June 11, 2022 11:21PM
$tevie
I don't have a dishwasher but have wondered for a long time, when I am visiting friends or family and helping in the kitchen, why there is so often rust on the racks of dishwashers that otherwise seem to be in great shape. I kind of came to assume it was planned obsolescence.

If the manufacturer wanted to spend the money, stainless steel racks with a vinyl or rubber coating. But if it lasts through the warranty period, they cease to care.

[www.youtube.com]
Date: June 12, 2022 07:16AM
heat dry is what manufacturers use for "planned obsolescence."

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 12, 2022 10:09AM
....for guys aren't racks like pizza....even bad is good.....guys love nice racks....but they like any racks too....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 12, 2022 02:21PM
What lost in space said, or something similar
[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 13, 2022 07:21AM
The lower rack on my GE dishwasher was only $60 plus shipping from one of the online appliance parts vendors.

For $500 I'd try the ReRack coating first.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020