advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Water softener question
Posted by: BernDog
Date: June 12, 2022 10:49PM
So, I just moved into a new house. The previous owners were renting a water softener, and that just seemed like a silly thing to continue. So, I’m in the market for a water softener. I just have a couple questions.

Everywhere I’ve ever lived the softener was plumbed to hot only. In my recent research, it’s looking like that’s fairly nonstandard. However, I don’t like the taste of soft water, so I’m planning on keeping with what I’m accustomed to. Also, I already have a dedicated drinking line in the kitchen (reverse osmosis). I know that suggestion would pop up, but I’d like to drink the water from any faucet in the house. And our regular faucet water tastes just fine unfiltered to me.

My question is about sizing my softener. If I go by any calculators, they’re set up to tell me how much softening capacity to get for hot AND cold. How would I adjust that for hot-only? Also, I can’t do any figuring just yet anyway. We have a well, and the county tester is coming tomorrow. Then I’ll know what my hardness is. Just seeing if anyone here has any experience or advice to help me size a softener once I know all the numbers.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Water softener question
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 12, 2022 11:24PM
I doubt you water is all that hard if you only soften the hot water. If it was particularly hard then you might have problems with appliances that use cold water.

Might be good to ask a neighbor about this otherwise talk to a pro - having local knowledge is very helpful.

We have very hard water. I’m not sure what is and isn’t soften but I know we have both softened and unsoftened cold water. Maybe unsoftened goes just to sinks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2022 08:58AM by mattkime.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 13, 2022 06:15AM
Single point here, but...
My inlaws had well water. They ran a water softener on the main source cold water line that fed everything. They did have a bypass for 'drinking water' lines to a few sinks (both kitchens in the main and inlaw suite), and of course did not soften water to the outside.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: June 13, 2022 10:16AM
cbelt3
Single point here, but...
My inlaws had well water. They ran a water softener on the main source cold water line that fed everything. They did have a bypass for 'drinking water' lines to a few sinks (both kitchens in the main and inlaw suite), and of course did not soften water to the outside.

I’m not sure how everything is plumbed right now. It’s a little bit of a rat’s nest. There’s not a typical softener setup with a bypass anywhere. Culligan, or whoever, hacked it in and ripped it out when they removed it. For example, there’s an open pipe overhead with a shutoff and a tag that says “do not open.”

The only other place that really makes sense to run soft cold would be the washing machine. That’s right there in the same utility room, so it’d be nothing to run a line over there from between the softener and water heater. The bathrooms aren’t plumbed in a way to get soft cold to the showers and hard cold to the sinks. In my experience, the amount of cold you add to hot to get the shower to temp isn’t enough to tip the scales. Still plenty of lather and no dry skin issues.

Still, if anyone knows if I should size down softening capacity and by how much, it’d be much appreciated!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 13, 2022 08:28PM
Soften to taste.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 15, 2022 11:10AM
....some prefer stuff......hard.....er.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 76
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020