advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
crashing waves?!....Federal data shows Tesla accounts for most driver-assist crashes....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 15, 2022 07:54AM
......oops....

U.S. safety agency says Tesla accounts for most driver-assist crashes, but warns data lacks context

Led by Tesla, auto companies have reported nearly 400 crashes involving advanced driver-assist systems, according to federal data released Wednesday.
Federal safety officials stressed that the data is not meant to indicate whether one system is safer than another.
The data is meant to be a guide to quickly identify potential defect trends and assist in determining how such systems are affecting the safety of vehicles, officials said.

.....Catnip isn’t just intensely pleasurable for cats. It’s also practical.

When your feline friend rubs, rolls against, chews and licks catnip leaves, it’s not just playful high jinks sparked by the plant’s intoxicating qualities. The behavior leads to the release of certain compounds that might protect cats from pesky mosquitoes, according to new research out of Japan.

Compounds called iridoids in the leaves of catnip (Nepeta cataria) and the plant silver vine (Actinidia polygama) act as an insect repellent as they are released when the cats rub their bodies against the leaves, the same team found in a study published last year.

Catnip, sometimes called catmint, and silver vine are both flowering plants with aromatic leaves that grow in many places around the world. Dried catnip and silver vine leaves are also used in cat toys.

The group’s latest research has shown that the way cats lick and chew the leaves causes 10 times the amount of these compounds to be released, with damaged leaves thus making the insect repellent properties more effective.Tesla vehicles have accounted for nearly 70% of reported crashes involving advanced driver-assist systems since last June, according to federal figures released Wednesday. But officials warned the data is incomplete and isn’t meant to indicate which carmaker’s systems might be safest.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the first-of-its-kind data doesn’t yet have proper context and is only meant to be a guide to quickly identify potential defect trends and help determine whether the systems are improving the safety of vehicles.

“I would advise caution before attempting to draw conclusions based only on the data that we’re releasing. In fact, the data alone may raise more questions than they answer,” NHTSA Administrator Steven Cliff said during a media event.

According to the data, Tesla cars represented 273 accidents involving its advanced driver-assist systems since companies were required to start reporting the incidents roughly a year ago. That’s out of 392 crashes reported overall by 11 automakers and one supplier from June 2021 through May 15.

Honda was second with 90 reported accidents, followed by Subaru at 10 and Ford Motor at five. All other companies reported four or less accidents, including Toyota at four, BMW at three and General Motors at two.

The data release is the first since the government began mandating in June 2021 that companies report incidents involving “Level 2” advanced driver-assist systems, which are meant to help an attentive driver but not replace them. They include Tesla’s systems such as Autopilot and GM’s Super Cruise.

The systems can control many of a vehicle’s driving functions such as steering, lane-centering, braking and acceleration. Some automakers including GM only allow the systems to be used on designated highways. Tesla and others allow for broader use, including on local streets.

The data does not take into context factors such as the number of vehicles automakers have made, the number of vehicles they have on the road or the distances traveled by those vehicles. When and how much data companies provided also varies, meaning much of it is incomplete.

For example, crashes involving advanced driver-assist systems have resulted in at least six fatalities and five serious injuries, according to the data. However, whether there were injuries in a majority of the crashes – 294 of them – is unknown, meaning there are likely more.

“This is an unprecedented effort to gather nearly real time safety data involving these advanced technologies,” Cliff said. “Understanding the story that the data tell will take time as most of NHTSA’s work does but it’s a story we need to hear.”

Tesla
While Tesla cars with the company’s “Autopilot” technology had the most accidents, it’s believed the company also has the most number of vehicles with such systems on the road. Its systems also tend to offer greater capabilities and are allowed to operate in more areas than other systems.

Tesla’s systems are marketed under the brand names Autopilot, Full Self Driving and Full Self Driving Beta in the U.S.

Tesla’s celebrity CEO Elon Musk recently on Twitter said that the company’s latest version of FSD Beta would be rolling out to 100,000 cars. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

According to the Associated Press, Tesla has more vehicles with partly automated systems operating on U.S. roads than most other automakers do — roughly 830,000, dating to the 2014 model year. And it collects real-time data online from vehicles, so it has a much faster reporting system. That compares to GM, which has reportedly sold more than 34,000 vehicles since the debut of its “Super Cruise” system in 2017.

The NHTSA has intensified its focus and investigations on Tesla because of the company’s aggressive expansion of advanced driver-assist systems, including prototype software for Tesla owners.

In February, Tesla said it would recall software from 53,822 of its Model S, X, 3 and Y vehicles in the U.S. to eliminate a feature that lets cars automatically roll past stop signs. The cars featured a relatively new version of the company’s Full Self-Driving Beta software.

That program gives Tesla drivers early access to new features that aren’t completely debugged yet, including “autosteer on city streets,” which let drivers automatically navigate around complex and crowded urban environments without moving the steering wheel with their own hands. Despite the name, Full Self-Driving Beta does not make Tesla vehicles autonomous.

Ongoing data collection
Release of the data comes nearly a year after the NHTSA issued an order requiring automakers and operators of vehicles equipped with advanced driver assistance or automated driving systems to immediately report crashes.

NHTSA also released a separate report on higher-level systems, known as automated driving systems, that can include the vehicles largely driving themselves. Most of these systems are still being tested and not available to the public, but some companies such as Alphabet’s Waymo and GM’s majority-owned Cruise have opened operations to the public.

NHTSA says there have been 130 reported automated driving system crashes from June 2021 to May 15. Waymo, at 62, had the most. It was followed by Transdev Alternative Services at 34, and Cruise at 23 (excluding 16 crashes reported separately by GM). Twenty-five companies reported crashes. They ranged from traditional automakers to one crash each from Tesla and Apple, which has reportedly been working on such a vehicle for years.......

Tesla......................?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2022 09:51PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: crashing waves?!....Federal data shows Tesla accounts for most driver assisted crashes....
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 15, 2022 08:18AM
Uh, there's a significant difference between "driver-assist" system crashes and "driver assisted crashes".
Re: crashing waves?!....Federal data shows Tesla accounts for most driver assisted crashes....
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 15, 2022 08:18AM
"While Tesla cars with the company’s “Autopilot” technology had the most accidents, it’s believed the company also has the most number of vehicles with such systems on the road."

So, a non-story, then...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Re: crashing waves?!....Federal data shows Tesla accounts for most driver-assist crashes....
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 15, 2022 09:03AM
The headline should be 'tesla has the most data regarding driver-assist crashes"

Re: crashing waves?!....Federal data shows Tesla accounts for most driver-assist crashes....
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 15, 2022 09:06AM
or headline should be "Tesla cars have most driver assisted miles"

What is the crash per mile rate, and how does it compare to non driver assisted driving miles?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: June 15, 2022 09:59AM
Rolando
or headline should be "Tesla cars have most driver assisted miles"

What is the crash per mile rate, and how does it compare to non driver assisted driving miles?

I don't understand why people can't figure out that THIS is the question that matters...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: June 15, 2022 10:00AM
I also don't know why Newt changed the entire post to one about Catnip... LOL...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Re: crashing waves?!....Federal data shows Tesla accounts for most driver-assist crashes...
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 15, 2022 11:13AM
I'm so confused. Tesla...Catnip...back to Tesla...

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Re: crashing waves?!....Federal data shows Tesla accounts for most driver-assist crashes...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 15, 2022 11:39AM
So, a non-story, then...

That was my only thought.

And qualifying it as having no context?

Just another click-bait post, and story.

What I'd like to know besides

is what are the causes, in order of decreasing number, of driver-assist crashes?

If I were a betting man, I'd say overwhelmingly is stupid people playing stupid games, and not always behind the wheel.

It's really, really annoying to here the response to 'another Tesla crash' of 'not ready for prime-time (a stupid cliche from stupid people) to 'It's Tesla's fault for calling it Auto-Pilot.

Media isn't much help.

Most of the stories I see talk about Auto-Assist being used, but seldom any mention about the driver abuse of any function of the car.

Unless there's a lawsuit or subsequent death involved, it's no longer news.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 15, 2022 11:46AM
Breaking news:

High Oxygen levels found to be a primary contributing cause to 100% of fires worldwide!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 15, 2022 01:07PM
Paul F.

I don't understand why people can't figure out that THIS is the question that matters...[/quote]

Whats the quote about people not understanding what their profession requires them not to?

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 15, 2022 03:58PM
Most other cars do not instantly send crash data to the company, and with Tesla's advanced driver assistance, it is used more often and in much more demanding situations.
It would be like trying to comparing one little league baseball players batting record vs little league pitchers, and comparing the other little league hitter while facing a MLB pitcher.
It is not remotely close.
I have over 100,000 accident free miles using many versions of Tesla's AutoPilot--knock on wood.
It has autonomously avoided two accidents.
Accidents avoided is a tough matrix.
FYI-The special safety advisor for NHTSA is on record as biased against Tesla.
[www.thedrive.com]
Posted by: kj
Date: June 15, 2022 05:14PM
mattkime
Paul F.

I don't understand why people can't figure out that THIS is the question that matters...

Whats the quote about people not understanding what their profession requires them not to?[/quote]

No doubt. They know, they just have a different goal. People of both sides click on Tesla FUD. If you don't like it, and you click on it, you just voted for more.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 15, 2022 09:32PM
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 16, 2022 05:30AM
I probably didn't mention it, but Top Gun: Maverick is awesome.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 16, 2022 07:52AM
Tesla Driver-Assist Systems Are Much Less Likely to Crash than Waymo, Transdev or GM's Cruise, per NHTSA Data

[www.tesmanian.com]
Posted by: kj
Date: June 17, 2022 12:34PM
Ken Sp.
Tesla Driver-Assist Systems Are Much Less Likely to Crash than Waymo, Transdev or GM's Cruise, per NHTSA Data

[www.tesmanian.com]

Amazing. Where in the press would you ever get any idea this is the case?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

JEB
Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020