advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Favorite Mac finally dies
Posted by: Golfer
Date: June 15, 2022 06:55PM
I have a 2010 17" Macbook Pro which is near and dear to my heart. It is my favorite Mac I've ever used. I got a new Macbook Pro in 2017 thru work so the 17" was relegated to a Plex server and movie ripper, which it has done dutifully the last 5 years.

I have it plugged into a smart strip that has 2 always on plugs and 4 plugs that can be turned off to not draw power. Just before I got home I noticed my weather station wasn't reporting, so I investigated it when I got home. The 4 plugs had been tripped, if the strip gets tripped the two live plugs come back on and the 4 others have to manually reset. Rest the 4 plugs and viola then weather station comes back online, then I notice the 17" is non-responsive. Restart does nothing, SMC reset the same. Then I notice the bottom right side of the bottom plate is bulged out. Off comes the plate, and as thought the battery is severely bulged. It must have finally bulged far enough to cause an electrical failure in the 17", causing a surge that tripped the power strip. No reviving efforts where successful (I also just happened to have a spare battery on hand).

A 2014 Mac Mini is enroute from our host as a replacement as I can take the hard drive from the 17" and plug it into the Mini and not miss a beat using the same software that isn't compatible with newer machines.

RIP 2010 17", you'll be missed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2022 06:57PM by Golfer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Favorite Mac finally dies
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 15, 2022 08:43PM
I'm sorry for your loss. The 17" MacBooks and PowerBooks were magnificent beasts.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 15, 2022 09:48PM
RIP.

My 17” is a 2011 and it sits in a place of honor between my treadmill and my TV.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 15, 2022 10:11PM
My late 2011 (built in June 2012) finally gave up the ghost a couple of years ago. I too DEARLY miss it. Over the years, It had at least three MoBo's replaced under warranty. SOOOOO much better IMO than Apple's current offerings. sad smiley
Posted by: DavidS
Date: June 16, 2022 02:39PM
My it's memory always be a blessing.

My MacBook Pro mid-2012, the last of the easily upgradeable MacBooks is still going strong. It is the only Mac that I've purchased new for myself (i.e. not used or refurbished), and it just celebrated its 10 year birthday last week, in fact. As much as I want to get a new MacBook Air (my wife has the last Intel version and my kids both have M1 models), I can't bring myself to putting my trusty MBP out to pasture. I don't use it much, since I'm now tied to a work computer, but it runs fine when I need it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 313
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020