advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
‘ Man Dies After Pants Are Trapped by Subway Doors in New York ‘
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 16, 2022 02:24PM
“ A New York City subway rider died on Thursday after his pants became caught in the doors of a Q train late Wednesday night as he exited, causing him to be dragged along the platform and then onto the tracks, the police said.

The episode took place just before midnight at the Avenue M station in Midwood, Brooklyn “

[www.nytimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ‘ Man Dies After Pants Are Trapped by Subway Doors in New York ‘
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 16, 2022 02:26PM
....I saw that.....after he fell on track, he was hit by another train [ at least that is what I read earlier ].....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 16, 2022 02:34PM
Horrific. A similar incident occurred around here when a man got his arm stuck in the doors and the doors did not automatically open to release, as they are supposed to do.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 16, 2022 02:43PM
It's like those poor individuals who get caught in escalators or elevator doors. We use them everyday without a thought, but they can be deadly.

The other death in the news currently is the worker at a recycling plant who went missing. They have found traces of his DNA in the plastic shredder.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 16, 2022 03:22PM
btfc
The episode took place just before midnight at the Avenue M station in Midwood, Brooklyn

Avenue M for Murder

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 16, 2022 03:23PM
....Dial M....for......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 16, 2022 07:03PM
3.6 million subway trips in a day according to the story. That's unbelievable. Statistically, nothing really happened.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 16, 2022 08:03PM
Ombligo
It's like those poor individuals who get caught in escalators or elevator doors. We use them everyday without a thought, but they can be deadly.

The other death in the news currently is the worker at a recycling plant who went missing. They have found traces of his DNA in the plastic shredder.

Which brings to mind the story of a worker whose clothing got caught in a metal lathe. There was a video that was somehow posted with it that somehow got used uncensored/blurred. The poor dude was standing there and then he was, just, gone, red mist everywhere. A worker cut the power and that’s when I closed the video.

If that video isn’t used in safety training, it should be. With so many of our inventions you only get one mistake.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 16, 2022 09:37PM
When I was really young, an escalator in, I think, the Garden State Racetrack had been worked on and turned back on without replacing the plate at the top. A father and daughter rode up it and, well, all I remember is that they were dead.

To this day, I won't ride an escalator until I see someone else ride safely to the top. eye rolling smileysad smiley

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 16, 2022 11:08PM

It is what it is.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 17, 2022 08:50AM
Still some confusion about what happened. The most recent is that his foot went into the gap between the train and the platform, and that he fell onto the track area after that train got beyond the platform. Then he was hit by a second train. The one witness on the platform was yelling at the train operator to stop, but of course was not heard. He called 911, but before any help arrived, the second train pulled in.

I always "mind the gap" on the rare occasions when I take the subway.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2022 08:50AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 17, 2022 09:10AM
Unnerving stuff.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 17, 2022 01:45PM
How much distance is required for one of those trains to stop?

It seems unlikely to me that the operator of the second train could stop in time if he had seen the person on the tracks.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 17, 2022 01:49PM
RAMd®d

It seems unlikely to me that the operator of the second train could stop in time if he had seen the person on the tracks.

Well if they're coming in to the station presumably they are already slowing down and given an emergency situation might be able to stop sooner, but yeah who knows.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 17, 2022 01:56PM
mikebw
RAMd®d

Well if they're coming in to the station presumably they are already slowing down and given an emergency situation might be able to stop sooner, but yeah who knows.

Not that this helps the situation at all, and I don't know the details, but there are side areas to duck in that seem to be made for exactly this purpose in many subway systems I've travelled. They are typically wide enough for a body or two to scurry into if you happen to fall. Also, avoid the third rail at all costs; I think I'd rather by hit by a train.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020