advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I have found the fan of my dreams
Posted by: hal
Date: June 16, 2022 09:01PM
It's getting hot again... I'm a big lover of Vornado fans - small fans that can really move air, but I need one BIG ONE for bringing in the cool evening air at high volume so I can cool this place down w/o running a/c all the time.

Saw an article in NYT I think it was suggesting the best fans available for 2022 and followed a link to this one: [www.amazon.com]

The B-Air FIRTANA-20X - not to be confused with the B-Air FIRTANA-20 (without an 'X')

The version without an X is the same thing just 30% slower. It's pretty simple - nothing fancy. It moves air fast. An added bonus is its sleek design - it's very narrow and doesn't take up a lot of room depthwise. It's quieter than I expected. My only complaint is that the three speeds are very close. It's not Low, Medium, High; it's Fast, Faster and really, really FAST. I wouldn't mind a very low speed setting. But I love this thing - it kicks ass. I got one cheaper at the AMZ open box store - whatever it's called
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I have found the fan of my dreams
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 16, 2022 09:41PM
I love those fans. I could sit in front of one in 100 degree heat, and it would cool you off. Anything under body temp, and it could chill you eventually!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 16, 2022 11:09PM
hal
It's getting hot again... I'm a big lover of Vornado fans - small fans that can really move air, but I need one BIG ONE for bringing in the cool evening air at high volume so I can cool this place down w/o running a/c all the time

"cool evening air"; such an alien phrase for some of us who live in the south. It's 11:30 PM central and it's currently in the mid to upper 80s and very humid outside. Might get down to 80, but the humidity will stay high.

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 16, 2022 11:22PM
Zoidberg
"cool evening air"; such an alien phrase for some of us who live in the south. It's 11:30 PM central and it's currently in the mid to upper 80s and very humid outside. Might get down to 80, but the humidity will stay high.

You may have left New Orleans, but you can’t get away from that Gulf moisture here!
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 16, 2022 11:34PM
Carnos Jax
Zoidberg

You may have left New Orleans, but you can’t get away from that Gulf moisture here!

Those first few years in Central AR were nice. Four full seasons. Dry, reasonable summers. How they fooled me.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 17, 2022 12:25AM
so, it really blew you away?

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 17, 2022 12:33AM
We have two and I agree they work great. They do just have three very fast speeds. I disagree about the noise though, they are very loud.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 17, 2022 06:48AM
I've got a big (probably that size) window fan in an attic window that I turn on at night to cool down. I can usually get by without ac until it gets unbearably humid here, maybe as late as early July. But window fans have a shroud to keep the suction going in the correct direction; would this fan work in that regard?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 17, 2022 10:05AM
If you have problems with loud, consider these fans, we have 4 for various housal orifices:

[www.amazon.com]

Of course they're currently unavailable! However plastic housing cuts the noise and has actual low med hi settings. Hi moves a lot of air and is still not too loud while med and lo have good noise levels. Med is a perfect blend of noise and air movement.

Avoid the electronic version with a remote: that one failed first, in the electronics what a suprise!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 17, 2022 11:34AM
hal
...but I need one BIG ONE for bringing in the cool evening air at high volume so I can cool this place down w/o running a/c all the time.

I had a whole house fan for a while which was great at cooling the house down in the evenings, but the air here is so dirty, that it brings all of that in too...
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 17, 2022 12:33PM
Two words:

Blade design.

Two more words.

Airflow efficiency.

Another two words:

Motor noise.

Fans don't have to be expensive to be good, they just have to follow the proper script. Blade design contributes to how much, efficient, and noisy the air it moves is. Airflow efficiency is how well the air moves thru the entire fan, starting from the back of the enclosure thru when ot finally dies out elsewhere in the room/house. It also factors into the noise, or lack of it that the fan makes. Motor noise can be amplified, or deadened by how it integrates into the overall fan environment. Sometimes motor noise can be deadened by placing a small strip, or two of sound deadener on appropriate spot(s) on the fan.

Two seemingly identical fans can perform vastly different by virtue of just slightly different blade design.
Test before you buy, or at least get a reliable recommendation, as per seen here.
==
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 17, 2022 01:15PM
I have an old 20" industrial grade Patton fan that I use to blow cool evening air into my apartment. It works well, although it's probably at least 20 years old.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 17, 2022 01:48PM
How much better are these fans than the $18 20” Laskos from Walmart?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 17, 2022 05:33PM
Blade design.

Two more words:

Blade number.

All other things being equal, five blades will be quieter than three.

The design of the blades will make a difference, but the number of then has a big effect on noise.

That's one reason why one knows a UH-1 from just about every other helo.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 18, 2022 12:43PM
RAMd®d
Two more words:

Blade number.

All other things being equal, five blades will be quieter than three.

The design of the blades will make a difference, but the number of then has a big effect on noise.

I was (obviously too) subtly including blade number as part of blade design, but didn't wanna go down the rabbit hole of blade pitch vs. noise and air movement at various speeds, and how by going from 3 blades to 5 blades you can decrease th the pitch w/ the same relative blade design and retain airflow while lowering noise, etc.. Sure as heck didn't wanna get into how pointing leading of trailing edges to "cut" into the air, or keep in on the longer, also contributes to noise and airflow....

The point was that two seemingly identical fans can perform vastly different by virtue of just slightly different blade design.
....and to test before you buy, or at least get a reliable recommendation, as per seen here.

Not that rabbit holes are so damned attractive. cool smiley
Yay, Dubs!
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020