You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Helping friend with Mac Mini (Late 2014) get up to date
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: June 17, 2022 06:41PM
Subject Mac:

Macmini7,1 (Late 2014)
Yosemite 10.10.5
RAM: 8GB

(Internal) Macintosh HD: 1TB (47% available)
- Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
- Yosemite 10.10.5

(External) Passport 2TB (82% available)
- NTFS

I have a friend that was having some issues with browsers on her 2014 Mac mini, I think I was able to help her work through those issues. (She also has two MacBook Air machines (non M1) on Big Sur, I think. So, she has experience with those more recent macOS machines.)

According to EveryMac.com [everymac.com] , she should be able to run the following macOS's (excerpt below):

This model is compatible with the final version of macOS Mojave (10.14), macOS Catalina (10.15), and macOS Big Sur (macOS 11), as well. It additionally supports the final version of macOS Monterey (macOS 12), but it does not support Universal Control or AirPlay to Mac in addition to the more minor Spatial Audio, Portrait Mode, 3D Landmarks, and Interactive Globe features. It does not support macOS Ventura (macOS 13) or later.

QUESTION 1:

Once I know she doesn't have to a software reason to stay on Yosemite, I plan to recommend to her to upgrade to either Catalina or Big Sur. Was wondering what any of you thought might be the best macOS for it?

QUESTION 2:

I am a little puzzled about the NTFS format on her 2TB Passport, I am guessing she bought it that way and did not reformat it. However, the Mac can only read NTFS, correct? She says she has a bunch of ripped DVDs on it. Not sure how she got them on the Passport using the Mac, unless a friend of hers helped out that was using a PC, I need to ask her more questions. I am guessing the external Passport can easily be formatted with Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? If yes, I will help backup her data (which needs a secondary backup anyway), and get that 2TB Passport reformatted.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2022 07:07PM by SKYLANE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Helping friend with Mac Mini (Late 2014) get up to date
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: June 17, 2022 06:54PM
She's booting from a hard drive?

If it's a hard drive I'd be hesitant to recommend anything beyond Mojave.

Fusion drive should be okay with Catalina. Not great.

Got a SSD, upgrade to whatever OS it'll take. (Monterey.)

As for NTFS, she must have installed a driver. There are some (cheap/buggy) NTFS drivers sometimes bundled with hard drives to provide NTFS r/w on a Mac and save people the effort of erasing a drive for Mac.

Would not upgrade the OS without first checking that the version of the driver she's using is compatible with a recent version of the macOS, or else removing the driver. (And backing up the data, erasing the WD drive for Mac.)

Also, make a good Time Machine backup or clone before installing a new OS,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2022 06:55PM by Tiangou.
Re: Helping friend with Mac Mini (Late 2014) get up to date
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: June 17, 2022 07:06PM
Tiangou

I suspect that she bought the Mac mini brand new, I will ask her. According to the Every Mac link above, this is the comment about storage:

By default, this model was configured with 1 TB hard drive, but it also could be configured at the time of purchase with a 256 GB SSD or a 1 TB "Fusion Drive" (which combines a 1 TB hard drive and a 128 GB SSD), either one, for an additional US$200.

I am guessing she probably has the hard drive, not fusion or SSD. I don't know that for a fact yet, I will ask more questions. I see your recommendations above based on storage type, very helpful. Thanks!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2022 07:18PM by SKYLANE.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020