advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any adjustable bed, raises head/foot, people here?
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 18, 2022 07:52AM
I have been having some hip/knee issues for a while now. I am doing PT to hopefully help get things into better alignment along with core strengthening exercises.
PT guy has told me what I already knew, that sleeping on my stomach, which I have done my whole life, is not a good idea. RollingEyesSmiley5 Flat of my back isn’t comfortable and on my sides are problematic because of the hip/knees issues. I was thinking one of the adjustable beds might help by allowing me to raise my head and knees to get a more neutral “chaise” shaped sleeping position. Propping up with various types of pillows hasn’t worked well for me.
Does anyone have one of these types of beds? Do they work well? Which brand would you recommend or avoid.

BTW, getting older and having all these issues is just so much fun. Lol

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any adjustable bed, raises head/foot, people here?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 18, 2022 08:51AM
If you share a bed, be sure your partner can sleep at the same elevation as you. My wife likes her head elevated, I prefer flat. We settled on a wedge set for her side of the bed.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: June 18, 2022 09:16AM
Ombligo
If you share a bed, be sure your partner can sleep at the same elevation as you. My wife likes her head elevated, I prefer flat. We settled on a wedge set for her side of the bed.

Just me, now. Some are split King designs, but I could easily downsize to a Queen. I don’t really need a King bed anymore.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 18, 2022 09:38AM
We have an adjustable bed and take advantage of it every night. One position is convenient for watching tv in bed. Another is just a slight raise of the head to help with acid reflux issues at night. An adjustable queen (what we have) is one mattress so only one position for both of us man adjustable king is two mattresses and each person can adjust to whatever they need.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Date: June 18, 2022 10:02AM
davemchine
We have an adjustable bed and take advantage of it every night. One position is convenient for watching tv in bed. Another is just a slight raise of the head to help with acid reflux issues at night. An adjustable queen (what we have) is one mattress so only one position for both of us man adjustable king is two mattresses and each person can adjust to whatever they need.

Which brand did you go with?
Would you recommend this brand?

Posted by: Diana
Date: June 18, 2022 10:12AM
I don’t personally have one. My sister and her husband have one, and I can ask her the next time I talk to her.

My mom saw one that a friend has, and decided she wanted one. She chose one from the mattress place; waited several weeks (full size is sold, just not kept in stock in store) for it to be delivered; slept on it for about 10-14 days, and then found that the mattress wasn’t comfortable enough. She kept comparing the new mattress to the old pillow top she had for the last 10-15 years. She then got a conventional pillow top and now uses the bed as a platform (just like what she had) and “can’t” use the bed as designed because she’ll “ruin the mattress.”

And no, I wasn’t going to take her old mattress and keep it at my house for weeks to months, keeping my cats away from it (she claims allergies to cats), haul it back and forth at her whim, deal with the new bed if she didn’t like it … she’s been known to do just that. I had to tell her that my house wasn’t her storage. I don’t know if she believes me. She lives in a little apartment for 55+ yo, and tends to fill up whatever space she has until it’s bursting at the seams, and then claim she needs a bigger place. She just needs less stuff.

Sorry for the mini-rant.

Take away: the mattress may be a bit thinner or at least a different design to allow it to bend or flex without damaging it. Keep that in mind when you go shopping for one.
Posted by: John B.
Date: June 18, 2022 01:15PM
I bought a Tempurpedic power base when I bought a Tempurpedic mattress last year. It will do the leg lift position, I can't say that I've ever slept that way (they call it zero gravity). I've used it mostly to raise my head/shoulders during winter colds/spring allergy season. If you want the feature that automatically raises your head when you snore, you have to upgrade to the "smart" version (one step up). For Tempurpedic it's their standard mattress (mine is a hybrid), nothing thinner about it (it's actually thicker than my previous mattress).

I would suggest that, unless you want a specific feature, power bases can be interchangeable (mattress from one manufacturer, power base from another). Unless it's an every-holiday sale on a "set".

Also this is something that you should definitely go to a store and at least experience, before you make a decision.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 18, 2022 02:45PM
We have had a Beautyrest adjustable base since 2005(-ish?). Big help, but the best savior was investing in a Zero Gravity Recliner (we got ours at Relax The Back Store) in conjunction w/ my reconstructive back surgeries in the mid 90's..... I lived in that thing for over two years, then transitioned back to the bed w/ their back and leg cushions, while still using the ZGR as my work chair for a few more years. The ZGR has since made its rounds thru the family, as others' backs have failed, and continues to do so. We're gonna visit it later today at a party for a relative that's moving to FL soon (due to job transfer).

Try a few adjustable bases, and feel which one your body likes best. Then take a ZGR for a spin. Back at "the old place", I spent (probably too) many an hour in the ZGR checking deals and discussions. By the time this place opened, the ZGR was on part-time duty..... mainly because the better computers were over on the main desk, and the ZGR's Mac (500MHz G3'ed PM7300) was under-powered by comparison (and because Mrs. Buzz wouldn't let me have a big tower and a big monitor encroach that far into the room).

Good luck!
==
Date: June 18, 2022 04:17PM
Buzz,
I bought a super cheap ZGR patio chair as a quick stop gap so I could get more comfortable while watching TV in the living room. That’s what made me think that position might be the best thing for my bed.
I think I will be visiting a few stores next week and see what’s available.
I have a platform king bed now, so I will have to deal with that whole hassle of getting rid of it. One more chore. Lol

Posted by: davester
Date: June 18, 2022 10:33PM
So let me get this straight... you desire to use a variety of positions in bed...and this is only for medical reasons. Yeah, sure, we believe you. devil smiley

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: June 19, 2022 09:56AM
davester
So let me get this straight... you desire to use a variety of positions in bed...and this is only for medical reasons. Yeah, sure, we believe you. devil smiley

If only it wasn’t 100% true, lol.
I wish I was lying. smiling smiley

Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 19, 2022 10:35PM
Yeah Rhonda, do your homework while ya figure out how to get rid of that big platform bed. When I met the then future Mrs. Buzz, she had one of those. Not suitable for bodies over about 35 y.o., does more harm than good after that. Gotta get/stay comfy once your chrono youth starts to wane.
==
Date: June 20, 2022 07:27AM
Buzz
Yeah Rhonda, do your homework while ya figure out how to get rid of that big platform bed. When I met the then future Mrs. Buzz, she had one of those. Not suitable for bodies over about 35 y.o., does more harm than good after that. Gotta get/stay comfy once your chrono youth starts to wane.
==

I found out that there are adjustable bases that will sit on top of the platform rather that on legs, so maybe I can do that. It would be great not to have to buy a new bed and not have to figure out how to get rid of the old bed. It’s a really pretty bed, too, so if I can just put a new base on it, that would be the best solution.

Date: June 20, 2022 03:49PM
Well, I bought an adjustable base and new “purple” mattress that should be delivered on Thursday.
I wound up going with a king size, so that I didn’t have to deal with getting a new bed. This adjustable base will sit directly on my platform bed, so hopefully it will all work out.
Since I bought it locally, they will deliver and set up the new stuff and take away my old king mattress, which is a huge deal, as it is hard to get rid of a mattress.
The old mattress was not worn out, but it won’t work with the adjustable base, so I had to get a new one. Hopefully the new purple foam grid mattress will be better for my hips and knees. Fingers crossed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020