advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Buzz cut?!....Pixar's 'Lightyear' underperforming this weekend....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 18, 2022 11:00AM
....so far......way below projections of $70-$85m, only $51-$55m....'Jurassic World Dominion' in its second week is beating it.....

.....Monday is holiday, and kids are off, so parents 'may' take them to see it....

.... Disney’s Lightyear, despite an A- CinemaScore and 4 stars/85% positive on PostTrak, is coming in way under its $70M-$85M projection with a $51M-$55M 3-day weekend to Universal/Amblin’s second weekend of Jurassic World Dominion with $57.1M, -61%. Jurassic could even reach $66.3M through the four-day Juneteenth holiday.

Despite the lowest Rotten Tomatoes rating of the Toy Story franchise at 77% Certified Fresh, it’s clear no one in great quantity is going to see the origin story of Buzz Lightyear. Understand that a Pixar movie and a Jurassic movie have played in close proximity to each other on the calendar before, and they both walked away with an embarrassment of riches.

Like Universal with Dominion, it’s not like Disney didn’t market Lightyear, and if you comb through the top critics on Rotten Tomatoes, a majority of them seemed to enjoy it.

It’s clear the majority of Toy Story fans are not out in abundance. Remember that movie is an ensemble pic in all its toy characters, an appealing factor for all the parents that grew up with those icons like slinky dog and Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head. Also limiting audiences here with Lightyear is that there’s not much for girls to hook their hats on; the outer space aspect makes this spinoff a big driver for boys, hence the turnout of more boys than girls.

Also, families in an inflation economy might be choosing their battles in a streaming laden marketplace: They’ll go see Jurassic on the big screen, which won’t be in the homes for a while, but might wait to see an nth Toy Story movie on Disney+.

While the box office economics on a $200M animated movie aren’t great from Disney’s POV, particularly in regards to the official and internal studio projections, and the Toy Story franchise itself, exhibition sees a different side of the coin after going through their own depression in 2020-21: $51M-$55M is a damn good opening.

K-12 schools are off at 95% on Monday, so well see if Lightyear can find an extra set of jet fuel today through Monday.

Of those who turned out for Lightyear, 52% were men, 48% females. Sixty one percent of those who bought tickets were between 18-34. Men over 25 were dominant at 30% giving the film its best grade of 87% positive. Females under 25 at 24% also gave it 87%. Females over 25 repped 24% of the audience and graded the Pixar film with an 85%. Men under 25, at 23%, gave the film a 79% grade. Diversity demos were 46% Caucasian, 28% Hispanic and Latino, 10% Black, and 11% Asian. Lightyear‘s best territories were in the West and Southwest where eight of its top ten runs came from. Imax and PLF screens are contributing close to a quarter of the box office to date.

Throwing an extra monkey wrench into the Father’s Day weekend box office against the competition is the holdover power of Paramount’s Top Gun: Maverick, the ultimate movie to take your dad to. The movie is eyeing a glorious 4th weekend of $40M, -23%, for a running total of $462.1M; just $37.9M from a half billion stateside.

1.) Jurassic World Dominion (Uni) 4,697 (+21) theaters, Fri $15.7M (-74%), 3-day $57.1M (-61%)/4-day $66.2M/Total $257.3M/Wk 2

2.) Lightyear (Dis) 4,255 theaters, Fri $20.7M/3-day $51M-$55M, 4-day est $59.8M/Wk 1

3.) Top Gun: Maverick (Par) 4,262 (-489) theaters, Fri $10.96M (-23%), 3-day $40M (-23%), 4-day $46.5M, Total $468.6M/Wk 4

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2022 11:06AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Buzz cut?!....Pixar's 'Lightyear' underperforming this weekend....
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 18, 2022 12:07PM
From where I sit, we're 25 minutes into saturday afternoon. How is it underperforming already?

---

I went to see it. If you want something to watch with your kids, its good. Otherwise look elsewhere. I'm not sure how you put $200 million behind a script like that.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 18, 2022 02:28PM
mattkime
From where I sit, we're 25 minutes into saturday afternoon. How is it underperforming already?

---

I went to see it. If you want something to watch with your kids, its good. Otherwise look elsewhere. I'm not sure how you put $200 million behind a script like that.

Weekend begins on Friday (and sometimes Thursday) for these assessments.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 19, 2022 11:00AM
Apparently some of the Conservative Butthurt crowd are outraged because Tim Allen was denied his tentpole* role

*a movie that is expected to be very successful and therefore able to fund a range of related products or movies

[www.snopes.com]

Claim
Disney refused to cast Tim Allen as the voice of Buzz Lightyear in the 2022 “Lightyear” movie because of the actor’s conservative beliefs.

False
Tim Allen was not cast in the 2022 movie “Lightyear.” However, there was no evidence to suggest that the reason he wasn’t included was his political views. Disney and Allen were currently working together on a separate television series, and the movie “Lightyear” did not feature the fictional toy that Allen voiced in the original “Toy Story” movies.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 20, 2022 07:03AM
I was able to see it on a Thursday sneak preview. It was definitely enjoyable, several laughs, but I wouldn't say it was top shelf Pixar either.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 20, 2022 09:56AM
....slowly Disney has 'tainted' the 'Pixar' name.....each movie seems to get worse or seems to have less 'priority' by Disney....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 20, 2022 05:06PM
mikebw
I was able to see it on a Thursday sneak preview. It was definitely enjoyable, several laughs, but I wouldn't say it was top shelf Pixar either.

Pretty much Ars Technica's take, too:

Ars Technica
Solid family fare but overshadowed by better Pixar films like Wall-E, Toy Story.

[arstechnica.com]

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 62
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020