advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Slide scanning project (bandwidth!)
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 18, 2022 11:53AM
I’ve been working on my brother’s slide collection since mid-May. He was someone who could not afford to get COVID, but unfortunately, despite being careful and vaxxed, caught it around New Year’s and died January 7th. When he was younger, he loved hiking in the west, and shot a lot of Kodachrome out there in the early to mid 80s. My in-laws boxed up his slides and shipped them to me. They were mostly organized as slide shows, in the cubes used by Bell & Howell projectors (no projector included with the slides). I will probably still take some of these to Dijifi, to see if they can get more shadow and highlight detail out of some of the more difficult ones.

He did a few selfies on his treks and I cleaned up some of them for the Celebration of Life my sister-in-law has organized for later this month.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2022 03:23PM by ka jowct.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Slide scanning project (bandwidth!)
Posted by: hal
Date: June 18, 2022 01:21PM
Great pics! Glacier NP or maybe Yellowstone. LOVE the antique backpacking gear.

ps - a couple of pics are visible because of typos in the urls

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2022 01:21PM by hal.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: June 18, 2022 01:51PM
Those are beautiful places and images.
Thanks for sharing.
Peace.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 18, 2022 02:10PM
Very sorry about the loss of your brother, kj.

It is what it is.
Date: June 18, 2022 02:15PM
hal
Great pics! Glacier NP or maybe Yellowstone. LOVE the antique backpacking gear.

ps - a couple of pics are visible because of typos in the urls

Some are Yellowstone, some could be Glacier. There is a notebook that I think will let me assign locations to most of the Kodachrome images, but I haven’t gotten to that stage. I’ve worked through initial scanning of at least 500 slides, I think. I think he quit shooting slides in the early 90s and switched to color print film. My sister-in-law has not has a chance to go through whatever other photos he shot.

He must have taken a tripod with him.

Thanks for the heads-up: one "dl" was missing its "l".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2022 02:15PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: maco
Date: June 18, 2022 02:26PM
My condolences. Great slides
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 18, 2022 03:39PM
sorry for your loss.
great photos.

just curious, if anyone knows. I see the images with Safari but not Firefox.
Formatting?

!#$@@$#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2022 03:40PM by Fritz.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: June 18, 2022 06:21PM
Wow, great shots!

JoeM
Posted by: gadje
Date: June 18, 2022 06:38PM
You brother loved nature and was a great photographer. Beautiful shots. Thanks for sharing. Condoleances for your loss. Make the most of these memories.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: June 18, 2022 07:38PM
Fritz

I see images with both Safari (15.5) and FireFox (101.0.1 / 64-bit)...

ka jowct

These pictures you posted are really terrific, thanks for sharing. Sorry for your loss...

What gear are you using to scan your slides and resolution settings. Curious since I am in the middle of a huge scanning project myself.

Jeff

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2022 07:52PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 18, 2022 11:42PM
Sorry for your loss / great pics.

I can't help but wonder if a couple of them would benefit from unsharp mask performed after the image size was set to its final output size. Either that or my monitor has a bit more resolution than the film captured.

Date: June 19, 2022 06:45AM
hmmmm, same versions.

!#$@@$#!

Date: June 19, 2022 06:59AM
privacy badger extension

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 19, 2022 11:03AM
Those are some fantastic Pics. Thank you for sharing.

Sorry seems such a useless thing to say. But I guess Its all we can offer.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: June 19, 2022 11:10AM
SKYLANE
Fritz

I see images with both Safari (15.5) and FireFox (101.0.1 / 64-bit)...

ka jowct

These pictures you posted are really terrific, thanks for sharing. Sorry for your loss...

What gear are you using to scan your slides and resolution settings. Curious since I am in the middle of a huge scanning project myself.

Jeff

I have a Plustek 8200ai scanner. I have used both Silverfast and VueScan with the slides. I am certain that someone who is expert with either of these apps would get better results in some cases. I know that Silverfast should be able to do better with shadow detail, but no amount of fiddling that I have done with the available settings has helped much, if at all. Other people seem to have had the same issue. VueScan nearly always does better with shadow detail, but not perhaps quite as well with problem highlights. Silverfast allows quite a bit more fine-tuning with color prior to scanning, unless there is something I’m missing in the VueScan settings.

At some point, I need to really dig in to the documentation for both apps.

The app I’d recommend is VueScan (paid version), which works with a lot of film and flatbed scanners. Silverfast makes scanner-specific versions and they are fairly expensive. Some scanners come with an SE version of Silverfast, as did my Plustek scanner.

My goal with these slides was to at least get an overview of what was there, and label the scans to preserve the way my brother had them sorted, and of course I have to keep all the slides in order he had them to avoid chaos.

Since early May, I’ve had access to a relatively dust-free area in which to work, and I wanted to get through as much of this as possible before the end of June, when this particular gig will end. So I've been plowing through everything, not spending too much time on specific images until I’d worked through everything.

At some point, I will probably take some of the slides out to Dijifi in Greenpoint to see what they can do with them.

Date: June 19, 2022 11:16AM
mattkime
Sorry for your loss / great pics
I can't help but wonder if a couple of them would benefit from unsharp mask performed after the image size was set to its final output size. Either that or my monitor has a bit more resolution than the film captured.

Probably. I kept the sharpened version of each image on a layer, so I can always ditch that layer and generate a new layer if I want to redo the sharpening. Some of the photos were shot with better focus than others, though.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 19, 2022 11:18AM
ka jowct
I have a Plustek 8200ai scanner. I have used both Silverfast and VueScan with the slides. I am certain that someone who is expert with either of these apps would get better results in some cases. I know that Silverfast should be able to do better with shadow detail, but no amount of fiddling that I have done with the available settings has helped much, if at all. Other people seem to have had the same issue. VueScan nearly always does better with shadow detail, but not perhaps quite as well with problem highlights. Silverfast allows quite a bit more fine-tuning with color prior to scanning, unless there is something I’m missing in the VueScan settings.

regarding detail - I think you can just scan at lower contrast and higher bit depth to capture all the detail and then set your contrast non destructively in photoshop. I always scan for 'all the detail' rather than the specific output...did the same thing shooting negative film.

Date: June 19, 2022 02:14PM
mattkime
ka jowct

regarding detail - I think you can just scan at lower contrast and higher bit depth to capture all the detail and then set your contrast non destructively in photoshop. I always scan for 'all the detail' rather than the specific output...did the same thing shooting negative film.

That sounds like a plan, once Phase 2 commences (rescanning).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020