advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hot Plate Recommendations?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 21, 2022 12:55PM
I'm contemplating a stay of at least two months at an AirBnB that has no real kitchen just a small fridge. They would be fine with me bringing along a microwave and a hot plate.

It's caused me to examine how i do use my kitchen. It's rare that I use more than one burner at a time and that's mostly when i make spaghetti. As a single mom my whole life I'm really over cooking. My son lives with me and i've told him i'm done. if i cook i'll share and if i don't he's on his own. so maybe i would be fine with a microwave and a hot plate.

any one live for an extended time with a hot plate?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hot Plate Recommendations?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 21, 2022 01:02PM
An induction hot plate is great if you pans that will work with it. I have one. It's almost as controllable as gas. If a magnet sticks to the bottom of a pan, it will work with induction.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: June 21, 2022 01:44PM
I've actually lived with just a hotplate and small micro for about a month. I do like to cook and it worked fine for me. Mine was an induction version, I've had the regular electric ones in the past and they get way too hot and unsafe. They also stay very hot when turned off, not so with induction. Go for it.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 21, 2022 01:52PM
Induction.

Also, what are you going to eat if you don't cook?

Posted by: Z
Date: June 21, 2022 02:00PM
We have a couple of these for use at the cabin and they're great - [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: fromish
Date: June 21, 2022 02:04PM
Agree-Duxtop 110v induction hot plate works splendidly for us. Excellent heating time and control.
Date: June 21, 2022 02:49PM
freeradical
An induction hot plate is great if you pans that will work with it. I have one. It's almost as controllable as gas. If a magnet sticks to the bottom of a pan, it will work with induction.

I was wondering about induction hot plates. I just checked and I have a pot and a frying pan that would work with induction. I am driving to this location so I can take what i need.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: June 21, 2022 02:54PM
mattkime
Induction.

Also, what are you going to eat if you don't cook?

food is simply fuel and a good meal is one that didn't take a whole lot of time.

for breakfast i generally have a banana and the MRF fave steel cut oats. for lunch a PB&J or grilled cheese sandwich. for dinner maybe assemble a bag of the chopped salad kits (LOVE THOSE) or steam broccoli with some Costco chicken or stick a bag of Tasty Bites Madras Lentils in the microwave and have it over rice or riced cauliflower or fix a bag of Trader Joe's Orange Chicken over the same.

In fact, i might actually miss having a freezer more just for stocking up on frozen riced cauliflower and stuff from Trader Joes.

Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: June 21, 2022 03:03PM
The Vigo rice mixes, particularly the Red Beans & Rice and Black Beans & Rice, are good one-dish-dinner bases. Just add your favorite meat (I normally use canned chicken breast) and maybe a can of whatever else strikes your fancy and you're good to go, no additional seasoning needed and it makes enough for two meals.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: steve...
Date: June 21, 2022 04:11PM
Thrift Store Scott
I normally use canned chicken breast

I've been buying John Soules Fajita Chicken. It's 8 oz of chicken, not half water like what you get in cans.

Used to be $2.50/8oz but is now up to $4 at Walmart.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 21, 2022 04:56PM
About 30 years ago we self built our house and moved in before it was finished. For six weeks we survived with a kettle and a microwave, that's myself, my wife and two young children. For the kids it was an adventure and for us it was an interesting challenge that was perfectly doable with a little thought.

Paul
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 21, 2022 05:59PM
I could easily get by with a small toaster oven and microwave.
I almost never use my gas stove.
I would definitely take my small Breville toaster over over a hot plate, but that’s just me.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Z
Date: June 21, 2022 06:35PM
rgG
I would definitely take my small Breville toaster over over a hot plate, but that’s just me.
I hear you on the versatility of a toaster oven... though pan-toasted toast is also a wonderful thing.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: June 21, 2022 08:32PM
Another vote for the induction hot plate - I used one exclusively for quite a while after the gas line to my stovetop had to be replaced. With a microwave and/or toaster oven (aren't there combo versions?) you should be all set. Although I must say I manage to use an Instant Pot for almost everything these days (the 3-qt mini, because it's mostly just me)...
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 21, 2022 10:06PM
graylocks
I'm contemplating a stay of at least two months at an AirBnB that has no real kitchen just a small fridge. They would be fine with me bringing along a microwave and a hot plate.

Rent a travel trailer that has a small oven and cooktop? Obviously that would be weather and location dependant, but might be better than an AirBnB.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 22, 2022 04:09PM
A-Polly
Another vote for the induction hot plate - I used one exclusively for quite a while after the gas line to my stovetop had to be replaced. With a microwave and/or toaster oven (aren't there combo versions?) you should be all set. Although I must say I manage to use an Instant Pot for almost everything these days (the 3-qt mini, because it's mostly just me)...

That's a great idea! I could do much of my cooking with that alone.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 22, 2022 04:11PM
We may end up equipping you with a whole kitchen worth of devices, but... If it were me. I can't not have a mini oven of some sort. Convection or not.
Date: June 22, 2022 05:21PM
mrbigstuff
We may end up equipping you with a whole kitchen worth of devices, but... If it were me. I can't not have a mini oven of some sort. Convection or not.

I have a toaster oven style air fryer that i might tote along with me also. mostly cause i'd miss toast.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 22, 2022 06:56PM
A slice or two of toast with Kerrygold butter as become a regular part of my diet.

Also great with eggs, baked in a toaster oven.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020