advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Specialized "entry-level" bikes = J-U-N-K
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 21, 2022 04:18PM
I've had it with this POS from Specialized that we bought my son about 4 years ago. Other than the frame, it's had nothing but problem parts. Horrible, dry and loose wheel bearings, a broken spoke, un-true wheels, a derailleur that bent from a misaligned chain, horrible brake pads on the discs, a shifter that doesn't really work the way it should. And this entry-level bike cost $500. I'm sticking with older US, Japanese and Taiwanese bikes that folks give away; I'll gladly shell out some funds to fix those than this thing I'm stuck with that maybe has 300 miles on it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Specialized "entry-level" bikes = J-U-N-K
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 21, 2022 04:25PM
I remember when Specialized offered some of the very best entry-level options. Sad to hear they've gone down the same road as so many others... sad, but not surprising.

It is what it is.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 21, 2022 04:50PM
A lot of that seems like maintenance issues to me. Lube and adjust the bearings, true the wheels and replace the broken spokes. Replace the pads if they are bad, or maybe they just need to be bedded. Sounds like your shifters and derailers aren't adjusted properly and that lead to a series of issues.

I'll take the bike, an afternoons worth of maintenance and it should be good to go. Pick this up if you don't already have it: [www.amazon.com]

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 21, 2022 05:25PM
Its not clear from your post, but all of those complaints are potentially maintenance items, particularly if the bike is being used a lot. Or the shop that sold it did a @#$%& job of assembly.

...and depending upon the definition of 'a lot', a bike like that can be ridden straight into the ground. At least the components. I know, I've been there.

Even a good bike without proper maintenance can start to fall apart.

Sure, older bikes are more reliable, just depends upon what you want. Old frames are reasonably nice but older components and wheels leave a lot to be desired.

---

update: 300 miles isn't a lot

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2022 05:32PM by mattkime.
Date: June 21, 2022 05:53PM
C(-)ris
A lot of that seems like maintenance issues to me. Lube and adjust the bearings, true the wheels and replace the broken spokes. Replace the pads if they are bad, or maybe they just need to be bedded. Sounds like your shifters and derailers aren't adjusted properly and that lead to a series of issues.

Perhaps, perhaps not. If Specialized is cheaping out on component specs on their low-end bikes, OP's litany of issues could very well be the likely result.

It is what it is.
Date: June 21, 2022 06:11PM
Maintenance hahaha. On a new bike?
Posted by: kj
Date: June 21, 2022 06:15PM
I've never felt Specialized was a great value, as you could get better parts spec for less with other brands. When you get to the bottom, I don't know what they could put on that would be lower quality than other brands. Can't be good. Good bikes, but expensive for what you get.
Posted by: raz
Date: June 21, 2022 06:19PM
mrbigstuff

My LBS has does free, routine maintenance on every bike I've bought from them after about 200 miles. Cable tension will almost certainly need to be adjusted, for example.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: June 21, 2022 06:44PM
raz
mrbigstuff

My LBS has does free, routine maintenance on every bike I've bought from them after about 200 miles. Cable tension will almost certainly need to be adjusted, for example.

We did take it back once. They fixed one thing at the time, but it broke again. I think it was the derailleur.
Date: June 21, 2022 10:02PM
mrbigstuff

Uh, yes. All bikes need basic maintenance/lubing and to be adjusted at the very least yearly if not more often. I have a $1300 Scott Mountain bike, every year it gets a full tune up. I've had 3 broken spokes and am on my second set of wheels after they couldn't be trued, that is normal. Ditto with adjusting detrailers, cables stretch and housings dry out. If you aren't doing the basic routine cleaning and maintenance your bike isn't going to last long.

C(-)ris
Date: June 21, 2022 10:53PM
C(-)ris
mrbigstuff

Uh, yes. All bikes need basic maintenance/lubing and to be adjusted at the very least yearly if not more often. I have a $1300 Scott Mountain bike, every year it gets a full tune up. I've had 3 broken spokes and am on my second set of wheels after they couldn't be trued, that is normal. Ditto with adjusting detrailers, cables stretch and housings dry out. If you aren't doing the basic routine cleaning and maintenance your bike isn't going to last long.

Uh, no. Junk to start with is not going to transform itself into not-junk. I've takenapart many bikes over 4 decades. This one is probably close to Wal-Mart quality judging by the bearings and spokes alone.
Posted by: davester
Date: June 22, 2022 02:10AM
C(-)ris

I disagree with this completely. I have no idea whether Scott is a decent brand, but unless you're doing 5-10,000 miles annually, any decent bike does not need yearly maintenance/tuning other than lubricating the chain and perhaps adjusting the cables if you have index shifting (things that do not require a bike mechanic). As to broken spokes, that should not happen at all unless you hit a big pothole/curb/rock. If you are breaking spokes in the absence of road hazards then there is something seriously wrong with the wheel build. I have several bikes that are over 40 years old that have never broken a spoke or gone out of true.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: June 22, 2022 12:55PM
It would be interesting to have a list of the parts on that particular bike. For a while, makers really skimped on wheels because people looked at other parts more critically (shock, crank, etc.). Machine built wheels can take a while to get whipped into shape. Stress relief on the spokes, etc. Even really cheap stuff like shimano tourney can be serviceable, but I guess can be problematic too. Press-fit bottom brackets are a newish cost-saving thing, and can be really problematic, even on expensive bikes. So you have to be a good consumer, like anything else. Plus, 500.00 for a bike now days is really cheap, like it or not.
Date: June 22, 2022 03:14PM
kj
It would be interesting to have a list of the parts on that particular bike. For a while, makers really skimped on wheels because people looked at other parts more critically (shock, crank, etc.). Machine built wheels can take a while to get whipped into shape. Stress relief on the spokes, etc. Even really cheap stuff like shimano tourney can be serviceable, but I guess can be problematic too. Press-fit bottom brackets are a newish cost-saving thing, and can be really problematic, even on expensive bikes. So you have to be a good consumer, like anything else. Plus, 500.00 for a bike now days is really cheap, like it or not.

So, while it's "cheap" nowadays for a bike (bought 3 -4 yrs ago and hardly ridden), it's not "really cheap." That would be a Wal-Mart bike. For double that amount of a dept store bike, we decided to go to a bike shop. But I should've saved the coin and bought the cheapo bike, because the components on this are garbage. The wheels, the spokes, the derailleur, the bearings, the headset. Rubbish. The frame is nice, however. But the components make it impossible to ride, as they keep breaking, or never worked in the first place.
Date: June 22, 2022 04:23PM
Sounds to me like a components upgrade is in order.

It is what it is.
Date: June 22, 2022 05:54PM
N-OS X-tasy!

I may look for a broken frame bike and transfer the components. Otherwise, it would probably be a penny wise, pound foolish situation.
Date: June 22, 2022 06:20PM
mrbigstuff
N-OS X-tasy!

I may look for a broken frame bike and transfer the components. Otherwise, it would probably be a penny wise, pound foolish situation.

Not necessarily, if the frame is as good as you say it is. You might be better off looking for sales on component sets that are one or two generations off of the current one.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2022 06:21PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: June 22, 2022 07:41PM
mrbigstuff
kj

So, while it's "cheap" nowadays for a bike (bought 3 -4 yrs ago and hardly ridden), it's not "really cheap." That would be a Wal-Mart bike. For double that amount of a dept store bike, we decided to go to a bike shop. But I should've saved the coin and bought the cheapo bike, because the components on this are garbage. The wheels, the spokes, the derailleur, the bearings, the headset. Rubbish. The frame is nice, however. But the components make it impossible to ride, as they keep breaking, or never worked in the first place.

You're right, really. A bike half as much at walmart probably has similar parts to be honest. The frame might have uglier welds and paint, but they generally have to be strong enough to be safe. I think it's harder to replace parts now days having gone through so many "standards" recently, etc. I've also run into parts on Specialized bikes that are made custom, although that's probably pretty uncommon.
Date: June 23, 2022 09:00PM
davester
C(-)ris

I disagree with this completely. I have no idea whether Scott is a decent brand, but unless you're doing 5-10,000 miles annually, any decent bike does not need yearly maintenance/tuning other than lubricating the chain and perhaps adjusting the cables if you have index shifting (things that do not require a bike mechanic). As to broken spokes, that should not happen at all unless you hit a big pothole/curb/rock. If you are breaking spokes in the absence of road hazards then there is something seriously wrong with the wheel build. I have several bikes that are over 40 years old that have never broken a spoke or gone out of true.

You sound like a road biker who rides on nice sunshiny days on paved roads with no dirt, rain, or mud. Yea, if you are just doing that you won't have many issues.

I guess I assumed this is about a mountain bike being ridden by a teenager. I don't know anyone who hasn't broken stuff on their mountain bikes.

C(-)ris
Posted by: davester
Date: June 28, 2022 02:54PM
C(-)ris
You sound like a road biker who rides on nice sunshiny days on paved roads with no dirt, rain, or mud. Yea, if you are just doing that you won't have many issues.

Nope. I do around 3,000 - 5,000 miles/year and am mostly a road biker but put also do a lot of off road/singletrack riding on my MTB as well. I also do long distance tours/bikepacking, which oftentimes include significant inclement weather.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2022 02:54PM by davester.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020