advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
new to me macbook pro upgrade just arrived!
Posted by: hal
Date: June 22, 2022 04:47PM
When I finally got an iphone, a laptop for when I was away from home became less and less of a requirement. I use to upgrade my computers once a year or more back when new computers meant new and enhanced abilities and I could sell the old and get the new for nearly the same price, but in recent years, I just never felt a need for more than my 13" late 2013 i7 MBP with 8/512.

But the latest OS it can take is Big Sur - I finally felt a need to get newer (and sure, faster too).

Since I'm not traveling with it anymore, a 15" model would be better. I settled on a 2015 bottom of the line 15" - 2.2GHz i7 with 16GB and 512GB and no video card. That's plenty of power for me.

I got one in an ebay auction for about $275 shipping and taxes included. Pretty sure I can sell the 2013 for the same locally.

It arrived today in SPLENDID condition. There is some cosmetic damage on the palm rest on the right side, but the rest of the exterior is pristine. The screen is pristine (no delamination here), the battery is at 98% new, the keyboard is pristine.

I think I spent $900 for that 13" and it was a screaming deal then.

This laptop is much more than I need - it's just a coffee table mac, but at these prices... why not?

I moved about 250GB in something like 15 minutes - first PCIe SSD to PCIe SSD transfer. Wow...

YAY for me!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: new to me macbook pro upgrade just arrived!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 22, 2022 04:51PM
Use Leader!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 22, 2022 05:03PM
Leader!

No screen delamination--that almost seems impossible!

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: June 22, 2022 06:19PM
Good ol” Leader!
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 22, 2022 06:20PM
hal
I moved about 250GB in something like 15 minutes - first PCIe SSD to PCIe SSD transfer. Wow...

You should have been able to just move the SSD from the old one to the new one. Could have been even faster.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 22, 2022 06:54PM
GGD
You should have been able to just move the SSD from the old one to the new one. Could have been even faster.

In the long run, better to keep the original drive though. The 2015 drives are twice as fast as the 2013 ones.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 22, 2022 07:17PM
AllGold
Leader!

is that a Retina screen thing?

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: June 22, 2022 07:25PM
Racer X
AllGold
Leader!

is that a Retina screen thing?

yes, the anti-glare layer comes off easily. I've read that this might be an environmental thing - that operating with high humidity may be the cause.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020